Team 2013

Des Moines area leagues

Moderator: Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Discgo wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:Well, let's go ahead and point out the obvioius. It's not a mystery to me who the 8-10 best players in Des Moines are... The A-Team should be hand picked, by the captain, it's his team to assemble. Just my opinion.

After that - if there's going to be a 2nd or 3rd team - then somebody else needs to step up and commandeer it. Then it's up to them to decide who's on their team and how they get there - whether it be tryouts, hand picked, whatever. IMO, if you're not ponying up to captain a team, then you don't really have any say as to how it goes down. They stepped up, it's their decision, it could've been yours, but you decided to sit around and let somebody else do it. So because of that, you're forced to comply with their team-assembling measures, plain and simple. So step up, or deal with it.

Oh, if anybody wants a lefty on their team I should point out that the venue is not conducive to it and it would most likely be a disadvantage. I'm just sayin'.... :lol:
I was only asking because I was curious. When I first started they did try outs for the team. I'll sit back and shutup now.[/b]

First of all - who's they? Back then, nobody knew how to come up with a team because the captain (or lack thereof) was trying to be nice - or should I say didn't have the nads to say "look, you're probably not gonna be on the Des Moines A-Team regardless if you beat Duden in a head to head match". Local talent and A-team status is earned through tournament play, it shouldn't be up for grabs at a one or two day round at Big Creek or whatever.

If you want to have tryouts for a team, by all means I'm not stopping you. I think that was the point - and I wasn't talking to you specifically Steve. I was trying to put out a fire before it started. But let's be honest, I don't have a problem telling you, myself, or anybody else that we're just not the caliber of player listed above, so let's not try to start drama about it. I'm gonna take the energy and try to get better, more fit, etc.
GDL17921

Good luck!

Postby Sidearm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:16 pm

I thought Mikal might make the first team, but I'm not sure who you would take off the team Clue listed. I don't envy the person or persons who made the decision this year or in years past. It's a thankless job. I also don't envy the other teams that have to play Des Moines' A-Team. :P Good luck, guys!
Sidearm

Re: Good luck!

Postby The Donator » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Sidearm wrote: but I'm not sure who you would take off the team Clue listed.

I can.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Clue » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 pm

First, time was the biggest issue. The tournament is barely a month away and we may or may not have 20 inches of snow for the next month. Yes, *we* have done tryouts in the past and I've even tried to do some creative things to ensure we got the best team possible, but invariably tryouts have actually caused us to field a team I didn't feel was as strong as it could've been.

I feel it's pretty obvious that me, Duden, Ernie, occasionally Fausch are no brainers. Claring has arguably been MVP on multiple occasions and has more HUGE clutch shots than everyone else combined! Tyler used to be in the pack of 10 guys that would arguably be in that last spot, but has definitely separated himself in the last year. Albert has been a monster and may end up being the 1 seed. There was a time that Eddie was probably the best player on this list and really hasn't diminished any, he just hasn't played as much. And for those that were at Westlake when we first won the title remembers Eddie throwing more that one 500ft rope in the finals to procure the win.

I'd like to give honorable mention to Wood. Since Greenleaf left we are def in need of a lefty presence and I think Greenwood, like Tyler, has separated himself from the pack a little with his play last year, but as he points out Westlake may not be the venue to consider the lefty play. It's a big course and very righty dominant.

Also, Mikal was definitely on the short list and since I haven't talked to Eddie he may get the call yet.

Finally, there was a year I didn't make the A team and it was a big motivator for me. Believe me, the team isn't so strong that anyone who starts playing 1000 rated golf with decent regularity is gonna stand out quickly. Feel free to be that guy, we aint getting any younger!
Clue

Up and coming talent

Postby Sidearm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 am

Clue wrote:First, time was the biggest issue. The tournament is barely a month away and we may or may not have 20 inches of snow for the next month. Yes, *we* have done tryouts in the past and I've even tried to do some creative things to ensure we got the best team possible, but invariably tryouts have actually caused us to field a team I didn't feel was as strong as it could've been.

I feel it's pretty obvious that me, Duden, Ernie, occasionally Fausch are no brainers. Claring has arguably been MVP on multiple occasions and has more HUGE clutch shots than everyone else combined! Tyler used to be in the pack of 10 guys that would arguably be in that last spot, but has definitely separated himself in the last year. Albert has been a monster and may end up being the 1 seed. There was a time that Eddie was probably the best player on this list and really hasn't diminished any, he just hasn't played as much. And for those that were at Westlake when we first won the title remembers Eddie throwing more that one 500ft rope in the finals to procure the win.

I'd like to give honorable mention to Wood. Since Greenleaf left we are def in need of a lefty presence and I think Greenwood, like Tyler, has separated himself from the pack a little with his play last year, but as he points out Westlake may not be the venue to consider the lefty play. It's a big course and very righty dominant.

Also, Mikal was definitely on the short list and since I haven't talked to Eddie he may get the call yet.

Finally, there was a year I didn't make the A team and it was a big motivator for me. Believe me, the team isn't so strong that anyone who starts playing 1000 rated golf with decent regularity is gonna stand out quickly. Feel free to be that guy, we aint getting any younger!

Good challenge, Clue! I played quite a few Tuesday nights last summer and was impressed with the potential of a number of players. I won't guess who will be on the Des Moines team in five or ten years, but I bet there will be at least three-four new team members.
Sidearm

Re: Up and coming talent

Postby Clue » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Sidearm wrote:Good challenge, Clue! I played quite a few Tuesday nights last summer and was impressed with the potential of a number of players. I won't guess who will be on the Des Moines team in five or ten years, but I bet there will be at least three-four new team members.

No doubt, there are a couple guys I really like in the near future, and if Lindsley ever gets as good as he is on the message board that's 3!!!
Clue

Postby blkwizardsonny » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 pm

:D
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Ferch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 am

I just noticed Dsm added a second team on the other Team 2013 thread. I'm just curious, who is on the second team?
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am

Ferch wrote:I just noticed Dsm added a second team on the other Team 2013 thread. I'm just curious, who is on the second team?
Not sure...I don't know if the Joe Cool n' Wife team was that 2nd DSM team or not
SARG27044

Postby otowndiscnchic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:08 am

SARG27044 wrote:
Ferch wrote:I just noticed Dsm added a second team on the other Team 2013 thread. I'm just curious, who is on the second team?
Not sure...I don't know if the Joe Cool n' Wife team was that 2nd DSM team or not

That was already listed when i told Robinson we were bringing a team so I have no idea if there is already "des Moines 2" team or not but either way we are trying to come up with a team. I just need to contact some people today. If there is already a Des Moines 2 team it would be nice to know who is on it so we don't waste our time asking them to be a part of our team....
Mrs. Cool
otowndiscnchic

Postby Clue » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 am

IMO it should be first come first serve, so as long as there's a captian organizing a team and they are in touch with the TD it's gonna be up to the TD to allow that team. If there's yet a 3rd team besides the 1st team and team Cool just get a hold of MDR and let them know before it fills up!
Clue

Postby tsquared_23187 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Ill rep dsm 7. Where the cool kids will b
tsquared_23187

Re: Team 2013

Postby Clue » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Clue wrote:Albert
Fausch
Duden
Ernie
Clue
Claring
Sarg
McCulley

I have confirmation from everyone but Ernie. Apparently I have his old phone number which led to a rather odd text exchange...
Clue

Postby blkwizardsonny » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 pm

whats erns status clue you heard ? havent talked to him in a year .
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby 1semenking » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 am

blkwizardsonny wrote:whats erns status clue you heard ? havent talked to him in a year .

I hope he isn't hangin' out with that dude that beat up Lindsley!! Aaron should be his replacement though!!!
1semenking

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines