Winter Chess League

Des Moines area leagues

Moderator: Single L

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:19 am

Yes, I do agree with you. there were alot of moves that would have done the same but just for the sake of knowledge, lets say whites queen moved down to B7- then black queen took pawn causing check, could white king take black queen with bishop there? I say he cant (black bishop) cause mate. Rules as I understand it states you cant move a pcs. causing your king to be in mate, even if that pcs. could win the game by mate......????? The rule still stands. you cant not move a pcs. that is protecting your king.

A disagreement between my father and me. He thinks he can, I say he can not.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:50 pm

No. The white king could not take the queen because he would be in check. It doesn't matter that the bishop is pinned.
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby Sprague » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:49 am

mtldetect1 wrote:Man, this is great

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,440766,00.html

This just goes to show you that if you cant beat them, shoot them

CHESS ANYONE???????????

I was playing my "friend" back in 94, I guess he couldn't take getting throttled by a drunk stoned mind freak (I was in the zone), he throws up the board and calls me a few names, I told him to chill out, and the next thing I know I'm throwing dukes against a 300lb fat dude.

He didn't like getting throttled in fist chess either - our friendship has never been the same.

Damn Chess...
Sprague

Postby The Donator » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Thats like the 8th chess fight/death ive heard of in the last month, wtf is the deal with this game and violence?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Single L » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:21 pm

The Donator wrote:Thats like the 8th chess fight/death ive heard of in the last month, wtf is the deal with this game and violence?

Violence surrounds many competitions these days ...... Over the weekend my Wife’s cousin and her brother (both 13) were playing Wii boxing when her brother that had never played Wii boxing before beat the cousin. The cousin followed this beat down with a shove and then a jab to the head with Wii remote still in hand. The remote cracked him in the skull and it took all I could not to let her brother whoop the shit out of the kid. Chucking Wii :roll: :lol:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:44 pm

that's classic...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby puppetmaster » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:47 pm

The Donator Wrote
wtf is the deal with this game and violence?

Last weeks game took me and my dad 6 hours, last night game took 6 minutes...... Need I explane more............ :lol:
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby The Donator » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Thats pretty crazy. I guess if theres money on the line thats one thing, but like this recent Iowa City strangling over a chess game between two best friends (obv alcohol was involved but still), there wasnt money involved. Guess i just cant see myself getting that angry over a board game even though i live for competition.
The Donator

Postby The Donator » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Oh and on a funny side note about board games...

My brother (sorry Scott) and my dad and I were playing Monopoly when we were both under 10 years old. I got knocked out early, and it came down to just my dad and brother. They were both pretty even in money, and my dad had hotels on both Park Place and Boardwalk. My brother happens to land on Park Place and wasnt too happy about it. He still had quite a bit of money to come back though. My dad rolled and took his turn. Then my brother rolls a snake-eyes. Oh Jesus, he stared at the board for a few seconds, then rage filled up in his eyes, the board, pieces, and money all went flying all over the room in one swift motion. I laughed so hard i almost cried and will always remember that til I die.
The Donator

Postby dischawk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:02 pm

i cant believe you remember that... but c'mon what are the odds of that happeneing... really

i think me and you have prolly had plenty of fights over video games... lets not even bring up my domination of you in madden... (oops!) :D
dischawk

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:13 pm

dischawk wrote:i cant believe you remember that... but c'mon what are the odds of that happeneing... really

50/50
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby dischawk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 pm

im talkin about the odds of rolling snakeeyes... which turns out to be less than 3%... lets forget about the fact that it was on park place and boardwalk. I think it happened twice actually... i hit park place, then boardwalk, went all the way around again, hit park place a 2nd time, then board walk a 2nd time... i think that was when i was overcome with rage...
dischawk

Postby z-man » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:49 pm

odds of rolling snakeyes once : 1/36 = 2.78%
odds of rolling snakeeyes back to back upon landing on park place : 1/1,296 = 0.077%

In other words...you were screwed
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby The Donator » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:18 pm

dischawk wrote:lets forget about the fact that it was on park place and boardwalk. I think it happened twice actually... i hit park place, then boardwalk, went all the way around again, hit park place a 2nd time, then board walk a 2nd time... i think that was when i was overcome with rage...

It did not happen twice. And lets not forget about it hitting park place and boardwalk. The board and pieces wouldnt have gone flying otherwise :lol:
The Donator

Postby Clue » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:35 pm

dischawk wrote:im talkin about the odds of rolling snakeeyes... which turns out to be less than 3%...

No, Mike was right. It's 50/50. It either happens or it doesn't.
Clue

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines