Veteran's Hospital course?

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Ferch » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 am

I played this awesome course again yesterday and already was picking up trash. I talked to a guy who works there this morning and he said that it is ok to play and not to worry about the garbage, because they have people who clean the grounds. Security watched us play the first few holes and didn't say a word except good shot. Even though I am trying to stay positive I know it will not be long before a few people ruin it for everyone.

Again, Shane great f*ckin job!!!! I love this layout, I can only imagine what you could do with more room.
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:15 am

I guess I went at the wrong time. Tried to play there last weekend and as I was strapping on a my shoes a cop sitting in his car walked over and asked if I worked there or if I was a veteran. As I am not he said I can't play the course.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 am

D31756F wrote: Even though I am trying to stay positive I know it will not be long before a few people ruin it for everyone.

Pretty much anyone who plays the course who is not supposed to, falls into the category.
SARG27044

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:53 am

SARG27044 wrote:
D31756F wrote: Even though I am trying to stay positive I know it will not be long before a few people ruin it for everyone.

Pretty much anyone who plays the course who is not supposed to, falls into the category.

Yup

Seems like shane stated that this was private property. Smartest answer would be to stay off. I believe there are enough courses in dsm that are public
Abe Froman

Postby blkwizardsonny » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:12 am

kind of hard to keep disc golfers off when you can drive by and see baskets staring at you just saying were golfers son we cant stand it but i no mess with po po
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 am

Obtion B would then be to bring in a small stack of gently used plastic to donate and see if you can get in good with security/admin and leverage course privileges by helping pick up trash and show that you are an asset rather than a threat of vandalism or tresspassing.
Abe Froman

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 am

blkwizardsonny wrote:kind of hard to keep disc golfers off when you can drive by and see baskets staring at you just saying were golfers son we cant stand it but i no mess with po po
I agree. If I were to have driven by, and saw this course before this thread, I would have stopped and played too. We as league and tourny players should set an example. Its tough, we automatically get lumped into the same group as the random rec golfers who come out and destroy shit just because we disc golf too. Just because we all play the same sport, doesnt mean we are all friends or know eachother.
SARG27044

Postby Clue » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:06 pm

I was asked to leave on Thu. The guy was pretty cool and said we could finish, but that it's not open for public play. I'm sure he's gonna get tired of kicking people off after awhile and not be quite as nice!
Clue

Postby shane » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:58 pm

I too was asked if I was a vet or worked there, I pulled out the I designed it card and I'm just showing it off to my buddy card. He let us finish. As we were leaving 2 car loads pulled up and he told them no before they even had their discs out. Again this is private property and we should respect it.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:47 am

way to build a bad ass course noone can play look but dont touch im over it :D :D :D
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Dale Jordal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:06 am

STOP :cry:

I am sure you guys down in Des Moines can play that course you’re just not looking at all of your options….

1. I doubt you have to be a vet …. I’m sure just being military would be fine. So join the Iowa Guard.

2. Probably a better option than above … volunteer at the VA.

3. Mentor a young vet (many coming back are only in the mid/late twenties) – offer to teach him disc golf. My middle son loves the sport and he had not played prior to joining the Army.

4. Probably more choices I’ve only thought about it for 10 seconds and came up with three.
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby Clue » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Dale Jordal wrote:STOP :cry:

I am sure you guys down in Des Moines can play that course you’re just not looking at all of your options….

1. I doubt you have to be a vet …. I’m sure just being military would be fine. So join the Iowa Guard.

3. Mentor a young vet (many coming back are only in the mid/late twenties) – offer to teach him disc golf. My middle son loves the sport and he had not played prior to joining the Army.

4. Probably more choices I’ve only thought about it for 10 seconds and came up with three.

Dale, you're totally onto something and right in line with a couple ideas I had. I was thinking about talking to someone about holding a fundraiser day there where we would charge a nominal donation from everyone to go to a Veteran's charity.

The bottom line is that we need to be respectful so they don't pull the course. I guarantee it's probably more trouble than it's worth if trespassing becomes a problem.
Clue

Postby shane » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Clue wrote:

Dale, you're totally onto something and right in line with a couple ideas I had. I was thinking about talking to someone about holding a fundraiser day there where we would charge a nominal donation from everyone to go to a Veteran's charity.

The bottom line is that we need to be respectful so they don't pull the course. I guarantee it's probably more trouble than it's worth if trespassing becomes a problem.

Can I be the Clue in I?
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Clue » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:04 am

There's some dude in a red truck just hanging out in front of my driveway officer...
Clue

Postby Dale Jordal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 am

5. I just seen my middle son last night. He currently lives in DSM and is coping with PTS (post traumatic stress) and TBI (traumatic brain injury) as well as many other injuries, from two tours in Iraq. He said most any Sunday we would love to play around with any of you guys. If anyone is interested PM me and I will send you his cell number.

Clue & Shane that is good to hear you may something in the works and I'm sure it will great for everyone who gets involved. We all hear about the sacrifice these kids have made, but not many people know how big a sacrifice that was and continues to be.

As far as idea #1 (above) ... I was only semi-serious about that one. Most of disc golfers I met out on the course I don't really want defending us :lol:
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club