Big Creek - pre-construction walk-thru

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby irban » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:47 pm

I thought Nixt designed it, but it looks like Rodney must have been involved too.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:27 am

irban wrote:I thought Nixt designed it, but it looks like Rodney must have been involved too.

That's how I remember it. Nixt took the lead with input from Rodney and a few others in the club.
Cydisc

Postby grodney » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 am

Yep yep. I remember co-designing Walnut and Big Creek with Nixt, although I'm sure he was probably more the lead designer. I know others had input and good ideas on both courses as well. (I didn't have anything to do with the design of Ewing or Grandview or Waterworks -- just the work, ha ha!)

I sorta remember coming up with 10,11,12 as a way to get over to the lake for the finishing holes, with the front 9 playing "inside" of that and coming back to the parking lot after #9. But that was a long time ago so I don't remember for sure.

On that video I comment a couple times how much worse it looked "a couple months ago", so I'm sure the winter conditions make the schule look not as bad in the video. Thing was, the trees were so small, there was nothing stopping you from going in the schule, and in the summer, despite how the video looks, the schule SUCKED. Beeman is right that many of us were afraid to throw much more than putter, with Big Dick constantly exhorting people to "Shut Up and Throw Straight!!!".

Good times.
grodney

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 am

I remember Mark Boals telling me of the time he spotted for the first tournament out there and players literally *crying* from throwing in the crap so often and not getting out.
Cydisc

Postby Single L » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:13 pm

I Think the big difference is that when the course went in it was a viable, albeit risky, option to go up and over the shule on a lot of the shots. Errant or bad shots when way out into the shule and where a pain to retrieve and play from. Now that the trees and shule are a lot bigger and taller the up and over routes aren't nearly as viable of options, thus meaning a lot fewer shots are way deep in the shule. The play now mostly down the fairways and you can use almost any type of discs as an errant shot, even a high speed driver, is typically caught by the thick shule and only goes in a few feet.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby bman12449 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Actually Cory a few of us tried chucking thumbers, but we had a rule that if you left the fairway you were on your own. You could be off the fairway 10ft and have no way of getting out besides advancing 5 ft. I used to carryi a small sickle around for off the fairway excursions, others had machetes.

I remember 90+ ppl showing up for the 1st league night, and then 20 + the next time. I would bet the same is true today.
I have inside jokes with strangers.
Most interesting man in the world.
bman12449

Postby grodney » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Big Creek might have been the origin of my philosophy that spotters give an (unfair?) advantage to stupid people. From then on, I rallied for Fewer Spotters, More Timers!
grodney

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:59 am

I think it's pretty forgiving any more. Sprague made his trails through the crap on the front nine a few years back. Some of those still exist today and make ventures off the fairway somewhat easier. However, I would not recommend going out there as a beginner with not much accuracy.
I have the hardest time finding discs left of 8's fairway and off of 16's fairway where they don't mow in the summer
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Sprague » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:47 pm

I think it's amazing to look at the 2004 Worlds Bid (I think you can still access it with a Big Creek google search). The photos of the course really help you appreciate how much the course has grown into it's own. It's starting to play the way Steve Nixt has envisioned all along.

Pretty soon, "over the top" will be a distant memory.

I can only imagine how hard it was for Steve and Rodney to design the front 12, with such limited visibility and unlimited poison ivy (and we're talking Jack and Beanstalk Ivy).
Sprague

Postby Sprague » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:50 pm

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure Big Creek is in my Top 5 Iowa Course.
Sprague

Postby grodney » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:33 am

Sprague wrote:I can only imagine how hard it was for Steve and Rodney to design the front 12, with such limited visibility and unlimited poison ivy (and we're talking Jack and Beanstalk Ivy).

We got lost several times -- trying to get the spacing and whatnot was crazy. And I remember the thorny briars more than the ivy while laying it out. I usually wore shorts, and my legs were cut to shreds. Good times.

Here's the Worlds Tour Sprague is talking about:
http://www.discgolfdesmoines.org/uploads/BC_Tour.pdf
grodney

Postby Sprague » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Yeah the briars are unforgiving and strike without warning...it has that feline like snag to em. I try to relate to people what C2 was like during the design phase, but the only time I think it sinks in is when they have to go off of the park property for a minute...then it's all too real.

But hey, great job on Big Creek - I've always admired the short par 4's - they're accessible to all skill levels while also being challenging for all skill levels. There's also a great mix of shots, I love it.
Sprague

Postby Sprague » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:32 pm

It's a good progression to look at the 98' footage vs 2003 compared to now.

Funny hearing you say "hopefully they'll grow up".
Sprague

Previous

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club