HELP Needed for NORWALK course

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby irban » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:00 pm

Let's see, first post Jan. 2007. Course installed April 2008. Ummm, would you guys be interested in helping us get a course installed in Greenwood?

Just kiddin'. :) Or am I? :shock:
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Single L » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:58 pm

irban wrote:Let's see, first post Jan. 2007. Course installed April 2007. Ummm, would you guys be interested in helping us get a course installed in Greenwood?

Just kiddin'. :) Or am I? :shock:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby irban » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:11 pm

Oops. Even better...and worse.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby mattmelcher » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:42 pm

I know that it seems quick, but according to Gary he's been trying to get the city to approve this for about 3 years. I know that the donations and fund-raising made all the difference in the world. It just goes to show what a handful of determied people can get accomplished.

As for the work...I think Gary and Jeremy are FREAKS! I just looked out my back window and see they are out there working right now! Looks like some back filling around the pads. I'll bet they've been out working all morning! I just checked and it's 26 degrees and the wind is blowing about 15 mph. Can you say WIND CHILL?!? Thats dedication!

I don't know everyone involved in the planning and design, but I will say that everyone I've met are all devoted disc golfers and they have spent a lot of time thinking and planning and fund raising and working. I think you'll be able to tell when you play the course.
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Thats dedication

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Heck Matt, were just normal UNION workers :D
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:41 pm

OK, Me and Jeremy and my son in law Jason striped the forms that we had poured Friday night. (we added 2% calcium to cure the mud faster) and I might add that we had 4 people at the 1:30 pour and 6 people at the 4:00 pour and by far, it was the hardest 2 pours of the course. The 1:30 pour dried nice, but the 4:00 pour started to freeze where I had smothed out the mud for our Hole # and mesurment, so we had to very quickly go to the shop and pick up mud blankets and a crap load of shoring to put them down. Needless to say, everything worked out.

Then me and Jeremy started back-filling at around 2:30 and thanks to Matt, he seen us and came out to help us out also, so all the back-filling is done now.

Tonight and tomorrow, I'll start the welding project on the sleves. Me and Jeremy are taking off Monday afternoon to drill and we sould be pouring by 4:00 at the latest. So by looking at the weather, I think we are going to beat the rain :D I'll take some pictures and send them to matt so he can post them (I can bearly turn the computer on, let alone post a picture), If thats alright with you Matt?

Matt, you have a message coming

As far as the course goes, about 3 years ago, Nancy asked my opion on Disk golf and I kind of sruged it off because I didnt play. Right afterwords I found out that Jeremy did want one so I tried to change what I said to Nancy, but needless to say, if you dont jump on something right when it is offered in city goverment, it disappears FAST. So Jeremy finaly got me to go golfing with his brother Dan last years (June) and I was hooked. Afterall, I was a teen of the 70s and frissbies was a way of life for me (ok, maybe a dobbie too) so to make a long story short, Ive been trying by making comits to Nancy and they didn't work so we just desided to do the fund raising (with Nancy approval) and everything came together.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby ghstinshll » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:20 pm

they have spent a lot of time thinking and planning and fund raising and working. I think you'll be able to tell when you play the course.

well said, matt!

Gary, you make union workers look bad! :wink:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:22 pm

, would you guys be interested in helping us get a course installed in Greenwood?

Irban, it;sbeen mentioned in jest before... (-:
##39027
ghstinshll

Gary, you make union workers look bad! :wink:[/quote]

Postby puppetmaster » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:31 am

[Gary, you make union workers look bad
!

Hay Jason,
I am Union. I hope to show what happens when good union workers do a job.
Im not talking about the lame or lazy union worker that we all see, it's human nature to remember bad things. Thats why we all think bad thing about unions when we see one of them guys hidding in a truck and flonting it. I believe that most of us are very good workers but people dont remember good thing or thing that should be done correctly. The only differance about Union workers and non union is that we dont have to kiss the bosses ass, they have to have a real reason to fire us, but non union can be fired just because the boss is in a bad mood. You didnt insult me and I hope I didn't insult you,

I am proud to be Union and my workmanship.
puppetmaster

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:32 am

no way man, I was just "playing on a comical stereotype" that seems to be a joke-theme for you here & there. 8)
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby puppetmaster » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:15 am

I was just "playing on a comical stereotype" that seems to be a joke-theme for you here & there.
Yea, it is :wink: but I thought I had better set the record stright for anyone else reading the posts. Its a good thing to laugh at yourself and the organizations that one belongs to. But I thought I had better set the record stright for any other union brothers out there that might be reading this. And also to put a plug in for UNIONS

And I hope everyone reading this has a great Easter

See you Monday night Jason.
puppetmaster

Postby Single L » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:28 am

mtldetect1 wrote:And I hope everyone reading this has a great Easter

I will try, and the same to you :D

- Nice work on the course, can't wait to try it out when I get over that way this summer.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby mattmelcher » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Here's some pictures mtldetect1 sent me to post...

The is of the posts. They are upside down in the picture. Here's how Gary explained it...

'OK, what I did was weld a 4 inch by 2 inch 1/8 inch flat stock to the bottom of the sleeve with a 1/2 inch hole drilled throw it so if water get into the tube in the winter, it will drain out. It is now 46 1/2 inches long, 2 1/2 inches will be out of the mud, the rest will be in the mud. 2 inches will be in the dirt below the mud, that way after we drill our holes 42 inches deep we put this down and hammer it into the dirt, allowing us to only having to worry about leveling it. And with the strip over hanging 1 inch on both sides, we don’t have to worry about 4 teenage boys spinning it so they wont be able to pull it out.'

Here's the next picture...

And one more...
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:39 pm

See you Monday night Jason.

See you @ 5:30! :twisted:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby shane » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:00 am

Jason Call me. I'm still wondering about that. I'M almost ready to cancel it. let me know.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club