visiting des moines in early april

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

visiting des moines in early april

Postby doomsday d » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:14 pm

im going to be in des moines/ johnston april4th-7th, i would like to play walnut creek and either grandveiw, or water works. looking for a guide and maybe an idea of what to expect as far as weather goes. i live in charlotte nc and appreciate a difficult course. also wondering if there is a weekly tourney going on that weekend. plus i have to say that your site is really nice.
doomsday d

Postby Cydisc » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Drop Waterworks immediately from your plans. It will probably be flooded by the time of your visit and, really, it will be just as painful to play when it's above water.

When you say "walnut creek", do you mean Walnut Ridge or Big Creek? or both? Of those, Big Creek will be the one that is open to play as Walnut Ridge will be closed until probably May. Grandview is also a solid choice for fun but lacks in difficulty.

Also, be aware that we have quite a bit of snow on the ground which is currently thawing at a good pace, but things in Iowa do change quite quickly so we might have it all gone, leaving a muddy mess on the courses or we could have 6 more inches on the ground.
Cydisc

Postby arowan21 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:01 am

you may want to play ewing instead of grandview
arowan21

Postby doomsday d » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:42 am

yeah i meant walnut ridge...so now it looks like grandveiw and ewing park from what im hearing. i dont mind playing in sloppy conditions, i try to play everyday regardless of weather. but iowa weather is different. just wanted to know what to expect. just to make sure walnut ridge will be closed? i will be 5- 10 minutes from there when i visit, and it was the one i was most looking forward to playing
doomsday d

Postby arowan21 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:30 am

the army corp of engineers opens the park in may usually, until then we are locked out
arowan21

Postby doomsday d » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:28 pm

alright good to know. i will probably try and play grandveiw and ewing, but probably on different days, i got to get my" tastey taco" fix as well in the same trip away from the in laws house. i would still like to have a local play a round with if possible, its good to see the local routes and such.
doomsday d

Postby doomsday d » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:55 pm

getting to town on friday around 2 pm then going to grandveiw , saturday might go to big creek, sunday i plan on going to ewing...i will post times when i get to town
doomsday d

Postby SpikeHyzer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

I will be hitting up Big Creek on Saturday morning...probably around 9:30 or 10:00.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby doomsday d » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:41 pm

sounds good, i will try to be there bt then
doomsday d

Postby doomsday d » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:08 pm

just wanted to say that i had a blast playing all of your courses while i was in town, didnt get to play walnut ridge...but maybe next time. really enjoyed ewing park and pickard park. those were definitley my favorites. big creek was nice as well, met a local guy Russ, who was very helpful and a good golfer. cant wait to get back up there and try out a few more. if anyone ever gets down to charlotte nc, id be more than willing to show you around
doomsday d

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club