Waterworks

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Waterworks

Postby 10up » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:29 pm

I was just out driving around the other day and went in that little back area with the little circular drive.

I haven't been back there in 15 years and it amazed me how much space there is back there being used for absolutely nothing. Nice little pond, good open area's, but best of all, great wooded area's just dying to be a frisbee course.

I know DSMWW is kind of down on the maintenance of the current course just because it is such an unbelievable hassle, but I also know that they enjoy having the park used and enjoy working with the Des Moines Club.

It might be worth talking to them about relocating the baskets to the back area of the park where maintaining won't be such a nightmare, and we can have a much much better course.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby irban » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 pm

Where is it? Way back on the south side of the river?

Good thinking to pull it out though. Anywhere with less flooding.

Could be a good legacy for you. Better get going though, out of here in less than a month? We could call it the 10up Memorial.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:17 pm

The yellow Area is where it currently is

The Blue is where they have festivals, fairs, parties, etc.

The Red is the area I'm talking about.

And it wasn't something that I'm going to be able to do anything about. Just thinking it'd be nice to have something like that since we'll never have a Greenwood. Baskets are already there and pretty much unused for the most part. The club already has a good relationship. etc etc.

Anybody can see how it (if possible) would improve Des Moines Disc Golf.
10up

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:08 pm

Is the red area reserved for the Ikes?

I've thought about that space before, 10, but wonder if it'll jsut wind up as trashy and run down as the yellow course?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby KePP » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:40 pm

I think it's a great idea, worthy of looking into. Waterworks itself is a well-known, centrally located park, making it a perfect candidate for investment.

The current course is good enough for what it is, but the space just doesn't make a great disc golf course. Aside from the floods and tall grass, the land is flat and boring compared to other local courses. Waterwoods could make a great addition. Wooded courses can be a lot of work, tho.
KePP

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:04 pm

If I remember correctly, WW didn't want any holes carved into the trees anywhere. The club tried to get some holes to cut through the trees where the course is now, but were told no.

It can't hurt to ask, but I think this is the same kind of situation Southwoods is in.
Cydisc

Postby 10up » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Cydisc wrote:It can't hurt to ask.

All I'm saying.

I know it's a shot in the dark but I would imagine over the years we have developed a good enough relationship to pull a little more clout.

Just have Tyler give them all his timesheets from Walnut. That's gotta be good for the resume.
10up

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club