Music

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby O_D » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 pm

- Schwag at the Mews again Wed 1/23(didn't go to the last one, so don't know how they are these days.)

- Tea Leaf Green at Maintenance Shop Ames on Thurs 2/7

- Dark Star at Val Air on Fri 2/8

- Umphreys at Peoples on Court Wed 2/27

-Wilco at Vail air on Sun 3/9

-Henry Rollins? at Val Air 3/13

- The Wiggles 4/9 in Counclil Bluffs.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby rightcunnin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the Wiggles show. Now I'll know when to not go to CB
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Spring time is lookig good for Des Moines and surrounding areas. I will be attending the DSO and UM shows for sure. TLG and Wilco are maybe's. Hope to see everyone out. The Des Moines music scene is definately on the rise. This will continue and hopefully increase only if we continue to show interest. If I had the money and the resources, I'd go to everyone no doubt.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 am

Well it may be the best week of music in Des Moines since Moe and Umphrey's played together over a year ago. Tea Leaf Green will be playing tonight in Ames (unfortunately, I will be unable to go), and Dark Star Orchestra(DSO) tommorow night at the Val Air Ballroom. For those that don't know DSO is a Grateful Dead cover band. Now, I am not much of a cover band guy myself. However DSO revisits the glory years and replicates the GD shows to the note. Heck, they even kind of look like them. For those of us that weren't around to travel around with Jerry and company. This is the next best thing. And by next best thing, I mean d*mn near the same thing. And of course, always a great crowd. I can't stress enough how important it is to attend these shows. Please, if you are on the fence, go. The more people we have and the more often we attend, the more often the bands will keep coming back. After all, it is us, the audience, that is a large part of the experience. See you all Friday.

And to keep in your radars.

Umphreys McGee Feb. 27th @ Peoples.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:25 am

Looking forward to the Dark Star show...the last one was excellent.

Also looking forward to Wilco...I'm not a big fan, just haven't gotten into them really, but some good friends of mine love them, and say they play a great live show.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 am

Discwrangler wrote:Also looking forward to Wilco...I'm not a big fan, just haven't gotten into them really, but some good friends of mine love them, and say they play a great live show.

I'm in the same boat. I have one of their studio albums. Wasn't too impressed, but I have heard they putt on one heck of show as well. Typical jam band I guess - horrible studio albums, but tear it up live. :D
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby z-man » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:24 pm

I saw Wilco with Billy Bragg at the Val-Air a few years back...they rocked it out pretty hard...good show in my opinion...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby irban » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't think of Wilco as a jam band really, and I would say there is a lot of critical acclaim for their studio albums. I have several, and I am kind of on the fence. The songwriting is great and some songs really appeal to me, but not across the board. You can't argue with the influence they have had though, all the way back to Uncle Tupelo.

If you want to hear some off the wall art rock experimental electric guitar, check out Nels Cline solo work.

I might go to this. If anyone else is there, I'll buy you a shot.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:42 pm

irban wrote: If anyone else is there, I'll buy you a shot.

Sold :D
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:56 am

So who should I keep a look out for tonight at the DSO show. Zaletel and myself will be rolling up there. Looks like TD is commited. Anybody else?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm sure T Bebout, Tony S, and probably Kuzi will be there. I will be there with a crew as well.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 am

Sweet show. Probably the best Here Comes Sunshine I have ever heard. Glad I got to see Family Groove Company. There's a new band to add to my collection. Largest crowd for a DSO show at the Val Air that I have seen. Had a heck of a time as always. If you got bored watching the band perform, there were Hula Hoopers to focus your attention to. Always a treat at a show. :D
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:39 pm

We got the pleasure of hearing a DSO original setlist Friday.

Set 1:
Mississippi Halfstep->
Truckin->
Here Comes Sunshine
Mama Tried->
Mexicali Blues
Easy Wind
West LA Fadeaway
Unbroken Chain
Set 2:
Shakedown Street->
St of Circumstance->
Blow Away->
Don't Let Go->
Estimated Prophet->
Drums->Space->
The Other One->
Black Muddy River->
Around & Around
Encore:
Waiting for a Miracle

Pretty close to 4 hours of music, on top of the Family Groove Company opening. It's good to see them doing their own thing. experimenting with new jams/ mixes. See ya all at Family Groove Company later this month at Vaudville's. for those that elected to come late and miss the opening act, you definately missed out.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby irban » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Scott I think I found your house band in the SXSW lineup...

CunninLynguists

Peppy.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby rightcunnin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:43 pm

Not too bad Brian. Love the the name and the song playing on the SXSW page was pretty smooth. Definitely closer to my style of rap/hip hop etc. You should put it in your Ipod. It's waaay better than all that boy band stuff your always playing :D
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club