Grant Weaver #27166

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Re: Really ?

Postby Single L » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:11 am

GaW27166 wrote:
KVN wrote:803.03 B & C

Actually it is 803.04 B and C

I see what you are trying to say but either way it wasnt a foot fault. The disc came to rest in the basket the hole was over and I when to pick it up. It had nothing to do with balance.

According to the "rules" you could call someone on evey putt if they didnt "Demonstrate balance" the way that you think it should be done.

As far as im concerned, when the disc comes to rest in the basket the hole is over and I am going to pick it up.

Actually you must have controlled balance through your entire putt regardless if the disc has come to rest. For example: let’s say you putt and the disc comes to rest, but your leg has not yet come back to the ground; if you bring your leg down in front of the mini than you have foot faulted, even if the disc is already in the basket. Your entire motion is part of the putt. Both feet must be behind the mini after your putting motion regardless of the disc being at rest.

PDGA Rule
A follow-through after a putt that causes the thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

Huspen violates this every time he putts. His leg is in the air, then the disc comes to rest and he swings his leg forward in front of his mini and marches to the basket. I use to do this slightly and Mr. Stibal helped me correct this as he used to call me on it all the time.

As far as the other point, your foot cannot touch the mini while putting as it is a foot fault. You also cannot have your foot off to the side of the mini. My partner Mr. Stiers did this every putt on Saturday, but it was an Ice Bowl so I, nor the groups we played with, cared to call him out on it.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:24 am

Told you it was a Huspen putt Grant. I was listening to you, and choosing not to argue with you.....you were wrong.
GDL17921

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am

no his foot did not go in front of the mini. he brought his foot back down behind the mini where it was when he pushed off after the disc had come to rest. if thats a foot fault then what does a guy have to do? stand on one foot for the rest of the round?
SARG27044

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:36 am

Oh, OK. I wasn't there, so I'm just basing this off what Grant said. I thought Grant was saying that as his back foot was up in the air in the putting motion, and once the "came to rest" (the key phrase you two kept referring to that has nothing to do with the rule) he followed forward towards the basket to retrieve his disc without putting that foot down behind the mini. If he did, why was the call made?

As Philips said, Huspen does it every time, and I've called him on it to have him spend 25 minutes explaining his expertise in marshall arts, and that his body is in complete balance at all times, and how he doesn't need to put that foot down to be balanced.....blah, blah, blah, blah.

A sure fire way to NOT foot fault as far as the balance part goes, is to stop and pick up your mini after putting. You pretty much have to be balanced and behind it to do that.
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:51 am

GDL4000 wrote:A sure fire way to NOT foot fault as far as the balance part goes, is to stop and pick up your mini after putting. You pretty much have to be balanced and behind it to do that.

Funny you say this. I have played with a guy, don't remember who he is, who picks up his mini and still foot faults. After the disc comes to rest he keeps his leg in the air and bends down picking up his mini and then swings his leg forward in front of where his mini was and continues towards the basket to get his disc. It's a fine display of balance, but according to the rules not all of his supporting points are behind the mini (or where it was) after he putts.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:57 am

Either way you slice it Grant Weaver is still the best putter in the DSM Metro area.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Single L » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 am

Buzzznation wrote:Either way you slice it Grant Weaver is still the best putter in the DSM Metro area.

Not if he's foot faulting ......... the added concentration it might take him not to foot fault my cause him to focus less on the putt and therefore making him not the best putter in DSM :lol:
Single L

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:05 am

porkchop wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:Either way you slice it Grant Weaver is still the best putter in the DSM Metro area.

Not if he's foot faulting ......... the added concentration it might take him not to foot fault my cause him to focus less on the putt and therefore making him not the best putter in DSM :lol:

Agreed. However, I am basing this kowledge off of GW's ability consistantly bang putts outside the circle. Making the foot fault statement void.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:24 am

to be honest with u i didnt see the putt either. lol. i was too busy going to retrieve my partners thumber that went across the creek :evil: i was just giving him the benifit of the doubt as i dont see him foot fault too often. and i dont like people who try to be stingy with the rules while they themselves are breaking one on every putt. :shock:
SARG27044

Postby irban » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:08 pm

I don't think you have to put both feet down to display balance. But if you don't it's harder to tell whether you did. There is a fine line between teetering forward, and balancing on one foot. If you choose not to put your back foot down, you owe it to the group to at least maintain the one foot stance for a second so people know you are balanced.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GaW27166 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:08 pm

I still dont think it was a foot fault. :roll: KVN was right about the rule but I still dont think it was. Either way I will pose the shit out of evey putt I take. Be prepared to wait 15-20 seconds after the disc comes to rest in the basket for me to complete the hole. 8)
GaW27166

Postby KVN » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm

803.02" A marker inadvertently moved prior to the throw shall be returned to its correct location". Not a penalty. However touching the mini is a violation. So if every put I took was illegal I'll eat my hat.
KVN

Postby z-man » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 pm

When i putt my only supporting point is my right foot...If I demonstrate balance (and I could hold all day if need be) with my one supporting foot then I should be fine in walking towards the basket, after the disc has come to rest, and retrieving my disc...I don't putt with both feet on the ground in a straddle form so I don't see why my left leg, while in the air, would constitute a supporting point??
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:44 pm

I'll go ahead and call a T on you then. (That's a technical....for continuing to argue such a petty call. :lol: )

Joking aside though, there's no sense arguing whether or not it was. If you're gonna play pro, get used to having shit called on you, whether it's correct or incorrect. We're a self-officiating sport, and that doesn't mean we have the right to argue every call, it means we have to make calls. And like refs, sometimes they're right, sometimes they're not. But you....the person being called, has two options...accept the call, or refute it with citations from a rule book that you have on hand. Debating it after the fact reinforces to some that they're better off just not calling anything, perfect example being the mention of KVN touching his mini...Did you call him on that? If you want to cite rules, have a rulebook.
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:56 pm

z-man wrote:When i putt my only supporting point is my right foot...If I demonstrate balance (and I could hold all day if need be) with my one supporting foot then I should be fine in walking towards the basket, after the disc has come to rest, and retrieving my disc...I don't putt with both feet on the ground in a straddle form so I don't see why my left leg, while in the air, would constitute a supporting point??

Supporting Point: Any part of a player's body that is in contact with the playing surface or some other object capable of providing support, at the time of release.

PDGA Rule
A follow-through after a putt that causes the thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole

This really depends on when exactly you release the disc. Z you are in the minority of players that actually display balance or can for an extended amount of time. At the same time if you can hold your leg up balanced forever you should be able to bring it down behind your mini, thus eliminating the need to second guess if you had control or not. To be honest most people that swing their leg through never have full balance, they have continuous motion.
Single L

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club