The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby PsPunch » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:02 pm

JBOCK wrote:IDK if its been mentioned but "The Cheese Shop" on 42nd in DSM has a GREAT selection of bottled beers. I'm not much of a Connoisseur but from what I read in this thread they have a lot of good beer. Plus wine, cheese and few other good eats. Nice spot to bring the lady.

Right... But where do you buy these 'ladies'
Nate Mickelson

I don't care, let's go throw
PsPunch

Postby irban » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Have to say, some funny stuff on Reddit.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby RelentlessLefty » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:23 pm

my personal mpg sucks. just saying, maybe I need to golf more during the winter. Went to Shorts for lunch in iowa city not many things beats a TG golden nugget for lunch. Are there any other places in iowa city to get TG on tap?
RelentlessLefty

Postby iowapat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 pm

RelentlessLefty wrote:my personal mpg sucks. just saying, maybe I need to golf more during the winter. Went to Shorts for lunch in iowa city not many things beats a TG golden nugget for lunch. Are there any other places in iowa city to get TG on tap?

Red's Alehouse in North Liberty ($10 growler fills)
Two Dogs ($20 growler fills)
Joe's Place
Deadwood
Quinton's
Short's East
Blackstone
The Sanctuary
The Mill
This gun will not reload, cuz bitch I got extendos...
iowapat

Postby RelentlessLefty » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks, looks like I might be stopping at Red's here tonight!
RelentlessLefty

Postby iowapat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 am

RelentlessLefty wrote:Thanks, looks like I might be stopping at Red's here tonight!

Aside from the Sanctuary, their staff has the most beer knowledge in the area...and 2 fer 1 happy hour ain't bad, either
iowapat

Postby grodney » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 am

irban wrote:Image

Have to say, some funny stuff on Reddit.

Never have I seen such whimsy on a metal Alabama cutout.
grodney

Postby jnecessary » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:14 pm

iowapat wrote:
RelentlessLefty wrote:my personal mpg sucks. just saying, maybe I need to golf more during the winter. Went to Shorts for lunch in iowa city not many things beats a TG golden nugget for lunch. Are there any other places in iowa city to get TG on tap?

Red's Alehouse in North Liberty ($10 growler fills)
Two Dogs ($20 growler fills)
Joe's Place
Deadwood
Quinton's
Short's East
Blackstone
The Sanctuary
The Mill

Is there any catch to the $10 TG fills at Red's? I had thought they were pretty expensive on the growlers.

OCBW is tapping Palate Wrecker tonight at 5 if you missed it at Red's (I did).
jnecessary

Postby 1semenking » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Sorry if this is not "beer" related but it is something that relates to alcoholism.

The owner of Kippy's Bar in Elkhart has recently bought out a distributor that closed some time ago. In the acquired inventory are some 5000 bottles of wine. These wines range from 35 to 300 dollars per bottle retail. He is passing the savings on to anyone interested at $5 a bottle. He has nearly 40 bottles open for tasting at any given time. I believe he said there are around 100 different makes.

I would gladly give anyone his number to go get some.

Again, I'm sorry if this is something that shouldn't be on here.

Tim
1semenking

Postby iowapat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:10 pm

jnecessary wrote:Is there any catch to the $10 TG fills at Red's? I had thought they were pretty expensive on the growlers.

OCBW is tapping Palate Wrecker tonight at 5 if you missed it at Red's (I did).

Pretty sure GNugg/TG Brews are $10-$14/fill...but, then again, I normally head up to the tap house when I need TG refills...

Were you able to get some Naughty Temple? KellyK and myself left about 10 there...

Red's releases are always a blast!

You going for the BC releases next Thursday? I say we get some random drunken dubs going afterwards
iowapat

Postby iowapat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:11 pm

1semenking wrote:Sorry if this is not "beer" related but it is something that relates to alcoholism.

The owner of Kippy's Bar in Elkhart has recently bought out a distributor that closed some time ago. In the acquired inventory are some 5000 bottles of wine. These wines range from 35 to 300 dollars per bottle retail. He is passing the savings on to anyone interested at $5 a bottle. He has nearly 40 bottles open for tasting at any given time. I believe he said there are around 100 different makes.

I would gladly give anyone his number to go get some.

Again, I'm sorry if this is something that shouldn't be on here.

Tim

And you didn't bring any back on Sunday? Not that it would have helped my rounds any
iowapat

Postby AO » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Only 2 days from an entire afternoon of all kinds of Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts at Reds.

Yesterday tried to buy and take home a bottle of Toppling Goliath's Naughty Temple at Parlor City. For a modest $30 bomber :roll: they told me "no" and I had to stay at the bar and drink it because people were selling it online for 3xs the value. Lame...I'm not trying to make a profit off beer. Just wanted to taste what all the hype is about.

Then on Saturday I did the Hell's Bells tour. That was pretty much FANTASTIC! I had Black Note, Hop Slam Firkin, BBA Cherry Stout and BBA Batch 9000. Plenty are still on tap. I think they have run out of only 4 of the brews. Cedar Rapids is becoming a hotbed for great brews. So nice because I remember when Blue Moon was the hot thing...
AO

Postby D Fresh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 pm

AO wrote:I had Black Note, Hop Slam Firkin, BBA Cherry Stout and BBA Batch 9000

and then proceeded to fall off your stool from drunkenness? lol
DRJ
D Fresh

Postby Single L » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 pm

AO wrote:Only 2 days from an entire afternoon of all kinds of Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts at Reds.

El Bait Shop hosted their Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Vertical Tasting of the 12 varieties last night. I've yet to hear how it went or how they fared.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby RelentlessLefty » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm

I am planning on going to Reds thursday night for at least one beer. I dont really know anyone else going, and I am leaving for DSM friday morning. I am hoping the kegs dont run dry by 9pm. I have three tests and the last one ends at 830pm.

I was lucky enough to buy a bottle of the Naughty temple. I was pissed when I saw later found out some jerkoff went around following the TG truck in Iowa City and who knows where else to buy out stores after they dropped off the bombers.....i am sure they are the ones selling them. They are going to beer hell after they die.
RelentlessLefty

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff