The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby AO » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Went here

http://www.brawleysbeverage.com/

and here

http://www.nodabrewing.com/home

and here so far with the girl while in SC/NC

http://mchalesirishpub.com/
AO

Postby O_D » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:25 pm

I had the Shipyard "Smashed Pumpkin" over the weekend in the big boy bottle. Actually was pretty good, not too much spice and a surprising amount of bitterness...and it is 9%. Don't really get a lot of pumpkin till it warms up.

Other Shipyard seasonals are garbage. Applehead way too apple pie-ish. Pumpkinhead same.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby grodney » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:11 am

AO did you like NoDa? You didn't hit Birdsong right across the street? I like both of them. Brawley's is one of my favorite beer boutiques. The rest of the retail market has prettymuch caught up with him on strange and rare beers, but I still love him. He is petitioning for re-zoning to be able to have a few taps on-site, so you can have a sample or a pint while shopping.

Forgot to mention to you midwesterners, I went to Duckworth's Friday after work, and saw Boulevard in the Carolinas for the first time ever. They had at least the Double-wide and the Tank 7 (saison) on tap, and maybe one other. (Duckworth's has 80 taps, many of them filled with stuff you can't get anywhere else.)
grodney

Postby AO » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:07 pm

grodney wrote:AO did you like NoDa? You didn't hit Birdsong right across the street? I like both of them. Brawley's is one of my favorite beer boutiques. The rest of the retail market has prettymuch caught up with him on strange and rare beers, but I still love him. He is petitioning for re-zoning to be able to have a few taps on-site, so you can have a sample or a pint while shopping.

I liked the NoDa area. We also had fish taco's at one of the places up the street. As for the beer at NoDa, I thought they were fine. We got the flight and also had one of the beers they feature every week. Tuesdays?? As for the other brewery next door...they were not open that day. Brawley's may have been the best part of the trip. Such a cool place and Michael Brawley was enthusiastic. He hooked my up with some aged Avery that I had never had. Spent a decent amount there but it was well worth it. Both Jay Land and Mitch Sonderfan highly recommended it.
AO

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:47 am

AO wrote: He hooked my up with some aged Avery that I had never had.

I'd be more interested in how the aged Valerie was :lol:
GDL17921

Postby AO » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Getting into a sour kick right now. Jolly Pumpkin has plenty and many of them are really good.
AO

Postby Carter45145 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:04 pm

I am loving Stone! Oaked Arrogant Bastard, Ruination and Lucky Bastard have moved in to my top ten beers for sure!
Can't criticize our smile...
Carter45145

Postby iowapat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:09 am

AO wrote:Getting into a sour kick right now. Jolly Pumpkin has plenty and many of them are really good.

Barley wine and stout season for me...

Currently stocking up on 2012 Bigfoot sixers for $4.99
It's not alcoholism...It's craft beer
iowapat

Postby AO » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 pm

This is def one of the weirdest beers I've ever had... Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales. Sour Stout.
AO

Postby grodney » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:09 am

AO wrote:This is def one of the weirdest beers I've ever had... Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout - Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales. Sour Stout.

Next time you're in Charlotte, drop in on the Ass Clown Brewery ("Don't Be One, Drink One"). I was there a month ago and they had a Sour Stout on tap. Indeed, very strange.

Main page:
http://assclownbrewery.com/Welcome_to_A ... ewing.html

Beers:
http://assclownbrewery.com/Flavors_of_A ... ewing.html
grodney

Postby irban » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:33 am

This sounds like a good one to try this holiday season. I remember Corey talking about old fashions earlier. This is a different version of that (absinthe rinsed glass!? ) Cocktail moment starts at 4:00 if you're tired of watching luddite repubs show their ignorance...

"If you can get bonded rye, which means it is 100 proof, you'll thank me."
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby AO » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Founders Bolt Cutter!!!!
AO

Postby gretagun » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:21 am

AO wrote:Founders Bolt Cutter!!!!

Enjoyed one of these last night at El Bait Shop. This was a strong hitter at 15%, and although I felt the alcohol, I could not taste it. Pretty intense hop flavor in this bw, with an interesting malt profile. Not sure I tasted any bourbon or maple, but I'd love to get a bottle or two to lay down in the cellar.
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby AO » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 am

gretagun wrote:
AO wrote:Founders Bolt Cutter!!!!

Enjoyed one of these last night at El Bait Shop. This was a strong hitter at 15%, and although I felt the alcohol, I could not taste it. Pretty intense hop flavor in this bw, with an interesting malt profile. Not sure I tasted any bourbon or maple, but I'd love to get a bottle or two to lay down in the cellar.

Reds Alehouse in North Lib has it on tap along with multiple other goodies on tap.... http://redsalehouse.com/menus/beer-menu/ At Benz in CR you were only allowed one bottle. Hy-Vee by my house had no limit and I snagged the last 7 for Resch. Got a little discount on em too at $135.00 for the 7
AO

Postby SpikeHyzer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:46 am

I have found that anything by Founders is good stuff. Really been enjoying their Porter lately. It seems to have more of a coffee flavor than most Porters I have had in the past.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff