The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby jnecessary » Wed May 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Bummer, they were the weakest regional brewery I've tried though.
jnecessary

Postby irban » Wed May 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Single L wrote:Hub City Brewery Shuts Down

Hard to see local businesses, especially breweries, go under. Sadly I don't see them being sorely missed as their offerings tasted like horse piss IMO.

fixed
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Wed May 30, 2012 4:46 pm

haven't been in this thread in awhile.

My tastes in the last year or two have kind of reverted to a 2002-04 state.

I drink swill or good pilsner. IPA's have just gotten too over the top for my palate lately. If anybody is looking for a good pils I really dig the Mama's Little Yella from Oskar Blues here. Prost! Brewing is slotted to open up in Denver in a month or so and their Pils is going to be their flagship. Hope it's pretty good.

You guys's still all on the IPA train or?
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Single L » Wed May 30, 2012 8:40 pm

10up wrote:You guys's still all on the IPA train or?

I'm still big into my IPA's but my tastes have changed. I'm more into the citrus and spicy hops rather than the floral and piney varieties. Also since I've been home brewing I'm more into what yeast cultures are used. I dig anything with a Belgian yeast; I love the funky notes they impart. I've been big into rye beers lately; reds, stouts, IPA's. Siasons are always welcomed this time of year. One mellower brew I've been enjoying, hop and malt wise, is Lakefront's Big Easy imperial maibock.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby 10up » Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 pm

rye beers? like whiskey brews? There are a few of those out here that I get if I'm in the places that serve them.

I went and did the "locals" tour at the Coors Brewery the other day and they're testing "Batch 19" in the Taphouse. I like it. The fifth one is better.
10up

Postby Single L » Thu May 31, 2012 1:51 pm

10up wrote:rye beers? like whiskey brews? There are a few of those out here that I get if I'm in the places that serve them.

As in .......
SN Ruthless Rye IPA
Founders Red's Rye PA
Boulevard Rye-on-Rye
Peace Tree Rye Porter
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Great River Hop-A-Potamus
My Home Brewed Rye Stout
- Split into 3 secondary fermentors; 1 - straight up, 2 - Rye Whiskey and Oak, 3 - Caraway Seed
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 am

SARG27044

Postby grodney » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:23 am

I happened across this year's Sierra Nevada "Beer Camp" 12-pack mix pack. It contains:
- Oatmeal Stout
- Imperial Pilsner
- Imperial Red
- Floral IPA

The first 3 listed are all pretty high ABV, and the 12-pack was only 13 or 14 bucks if I recall. In my expert (ha ha) opinion, they're all pretty darn tasty.

grodney

Postby grodney » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 am

I'm not a fan of pumpkin beers in general, but I find the Sam Adams pumpkin to be not horrible.
grodney

Postby The Donator » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:19 am

Anyone tried BV's 80-Acre yet
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby 10up » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 pm

grodney wrote:I'm not a fan of pumpkin beers in general, but I find the Sam Adams pumpkin to be not horrible.

I can honestly say I detest pumpkin taste... pie, seeds, pastas... and it's a real task trying to find a brew I can stomach as well. That being said, I live out in Farmville nowadays. Lots of the local guys have HUGE pumpkin patches going and there's talk about everything from pumpkin brews to pumpkin burgers to pumpkin whiskey. So it'll be interesting, I'll have to report back after drinking some of the different batches. Everything else these guys make is phenomenal so maybe I'll find something that changes my mind.
10up

Postby grodney » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 am

I'm planning on brewing a pumpkin ale this weekend. We'll see if I go through with it. I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good batch of beer.
grodney

Postby AO » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Been trying a lot of new beers this year and this is what I could remember..

New Holland Dragons Milk
Southern Tier Creme Brulee
Great Divide Yeti and Titan IPA
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
Boulevard Love Child, 89 Acre, Saison Brett
North Coast Old Rasputin
Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown, Pale Ale, Cerise, Porter, Red Rye, Centennial, Curmudgeon, and Dirty Bastard
Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget, Tsunami, Murph's, Pseudosue, and Naked 90
Green Flash Imperial IPA, Hop Head Red, West Coast Ipa, Saison Diego and Double Stout
Stone Arrogant Bastard and Imperial Russian Stout
Brau Brothers Hop Session and Brown...both garbage
Widmer Bros Raspberry Imperial Russian Stout
Central Waters Satin Solstice Imperial Stout
Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale
Jolly Pumpkin La Roja and Bam Biere
Ommegang 3 Philosophers
AO

Postby O_D » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 pm

^^^^^ Jeebus....nice memory!

I'm liking the Tallgrass 8-Bit. Plenty of hops, but not over the top. Kind of like a milder Two-Hearted. Lots of citrus.

On another note. I have a bottle of 2008 SN Bigfoot in my closet....drink it or let it go a while longer?
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby irban » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:29 pm

O_D wrote:^^^^^ Jeebus....nice memory!

I'm liking the Tallgrass 8-Bit. Plenty of hops, but not over the top. Kind of like a milder Two-Hearted. Lots of citrus.

On another note. I have a bottle of 2008 SN Bigfoot in my closet....drink it or let it go a while longer?

Let it go forever?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff