The Only Other "Real" Hobby

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby grodney » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:18 am

Pretty disappointing we've been 3 weeks without a post on this thread.

The number of different Rogue ales on my life list is pretty small, so I decided to add a couple. Had 1 (12oz bottle) each of the American Amber and the Dry Hopped St. Rogue Red.

Though both are classified as "American Amber" by beeradvocate.com, these are two very different tasting beers. I actually thought the American Amber tasted more like an Irish Red, as it had a good strong malt taste, and the hops were more for balance all the way through. The St. was closer to my idea of an American Amber, and the dry hopping certainly gave it some significant hop flavor and aroma.

Both were fine, but for my tasting preferences, I liked the American Amber much more. It has a great balance of many different flavors, and I found it very drinkable.
grodney

Postby 10up » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 am

I've been to busy drinking to actually post...

Don't know why but I've been on a Gin kick for the last couple... I picked myself up a couple fifths of the Tangueray Ten, pretty damn tasty. I do, however, have a couple sixer's of Fatty, Sunshine, and a new seasonal Springboard. Haven't tapped them yet, but I'll letcha know.
10up

Postby irban » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:53 am

grodney wrote:Pretty disappointing we've been 3 weeks without a post on this thread. .

Really. Come on, we know you're drinking.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby chappyfade » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:44 am

[quote="grodney"]Pretty disappointing we've been 3 weeks without a post on this thread. [quote]

I'd say sorry, I've been busy drinking good beer, but I apologize for nothing. I hope to have my own brew out this summer for the Challenge. Stay tuned. Working on an altbier recipe, and perhaps a bock.

Chap
chappyfade

Postby grodney » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:10 am

Stopped in my new favorite little beer boutique yesterday. Got a 6-pack of Old Jubilation from Avery. It's a winter warmer that registers 8.0 on the richter. Good stuff. I'm not telling you to run out an buy some, but I found it to be tasty. Lots of flavors happening. Malty sweetness, but fairly well-balanced so as to not be like syrup.

Also saw 3 different varieties from Delirium, including Nocturnum. $15 a 4-pack of 330s.

Oh, and also saw a 6 of Leinie's Sunshine Wheat. That was the first time I've seen Lienie anything in N.C. The owner said they just started distributing here.

Finally, I tapped my homebrew rendition of Fat Tire yesterday. It's good and all, but it's just not my favorite beer.
grodney

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:36 am

picked up some sam adams honey porter. pretty good. i always pick up a seasonal of sam whenever i can
Abe Froman

Postby grodney » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:32 am

Spreckin zee Sam, I picked up a 6-pack box labeled as "LONG SHOT". This is a sampler of the 3 beers (2 bottles each) that won the 2006 Sam Adams Homebrew Contest.

Haven't tried them yet. Probably this weekend.

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/L ... nners.aspx
grodney

Postby irban » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:03 am

I just tried a six of Smithwicks Irish Ale, made by Guinness. I had high hopes because the guy at Ingersoll said people had been asking for it. I think it's a little meh. Nothing really stands out flavorwise, like a big brewery attempt at a small brewery taste. Which is what it is I suppose, but you would think Guinness could pull it off more readily than Anheuser Busch. The price wasn't too bad though, $7.25 or something like that. (correction, $7.99 on sale.)
Last edited by irban on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:45 am

My first experience with Smithwicks was at a very cool little local Irish pub, maybe 1.5 or 2 years ago. It was pretty tasty on tap. Of course that may have to do with the atmosphere of the place as much as the beer.

The bottled version first appeared about 6 months ago. I have been underwhelmed by it.
grodney

Postby grodney » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:49 am

5 new beers added to my lifetime list this weekend:

Sam Adams LONG SHOT Dortmunder Export - A tasty lager. Not unique, but still delicious.

Sam Adams LONG SHOT Boysenberry Wheat - I didn't like it. Too much berry. Too harsh.

Sam Adams LONG SHOT Old Ale - This beer probably tasted the way it's supposed to, but it's just not my favorite style. Way too malty syrupy sweet for me. I think it reminded me of Flying Dog Horn Dog.

Ommegang Three Philsophers - This was pretty darn tasty. It's a blend of a strong malty ale, and a traditional Belgian lambic. Lots of flavors going on, and although it was big and malty, I didn't get that cough syrup sensation at all.

Magic Hat #9 - The Magic Hat lineup is in full scale attack in Charlotte. I was glad to find a single bottle of the #9, because I would hate to be stuck with a 6-pack. Nothing horrible about it, just nothing great. It's allegedly an "english ale" (whatever that is), but the bottle noted "brewed with essence of apricot". The apricot wasn't strong, but the overall taste was just a little weird. Maybe I need to give it another try. Or maybe not.
grodney

Postby Bradbalk » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:44 pm

I with you on the Ommegang Three Philsophers, although I prefer the regular Belgian Abbey style before they add the kreik to it, and right now as a bonus since they are behind production in Cooperstown they are making most of it at Duvel's Brewery in Belgium.

Also agree with the Old Jubilation, very tasty and can be had for a good price, I had all the avery 6pks on sale at my store for Xmas at $5.99. Its hard to beat Avery Red Point Amber, IPA, or Old Jubilation at that price.

An easy to find tasty treat this time of year, Sam Adams Double Bock, a very good German Style Doppel Bock, and at 8.8% a bargain most places.
Is this the line for the beer, or the line for the coupons for the beer?
Bradbalk
Site Admin

Postby grodney » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am

I'll have to look for those other Avery flavors. 5.99? Cripes. I think I paid 9.99 or 10.99 for the Jubilation. Must be a long way from Boulder to Charlotte.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Sam Double Bock. I've seen it in the stores, but didn't know if I wanted to commit to a 6. Sounds like a solid BUY rating.
grodney

Postby 10up » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:22 pm

10up

Postby Cydisc » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:57 pm

I had a milk stout from Slab City Brewing, a small outfit near Shawano, WI, last summer. It was ass.
Cydisc

Postby 10up » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:02 pm

ass when referred to from a sadistic perspective or like... a bathroom perspective?
10up

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff