Peninsula Park Work Days

Peninsula Park Work Days

Postby prodiscgolf » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:13 pm

With the ice storm just past, there has been a lot of tree damage on the course. Brad and Luke are planning to go to the course Tuesday 2/27 around 3:30 to cut and move some of the limbs that are down out there.

We will have a work day this Saturday 3/3 starting at 8:00 am until around noon. We need to clear what's fallen and what Brad gets cut up to get the course back into shape. Any and all help would be welcome.
prodiscgolf

Postby Single L » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:28 pm

Luke, Brad, Arkansas, and Myself cleaned up a few fairways; Hole #8, #9, #7, and #6b. There is lots to do, Luke and Myself will be out Thursday.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby peyton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:00 pm

I will be down there on Saturday. I have a chain saw and stuff. I have to get practice in to get ready to set up Legions back course.
peyton

Postby peyton » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:48 pm

Are you guys still looking at tomorrow for a work day? Weather is not supposed to be that great, was wondering if Sunday would be better. Let me know please. Thanks
peyton

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:51 pm

I'm still planning to be out there in the morning. Sundays are not good options for me so no matter what the weather, I'll be out there.
prodiscgolf

2009 Update

Postby prodiscgolf » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:47 pm

My son and I went out this morning and dug out #13's red tee. 40 cubic yards of sand later, we have cleared concrete. I scraped #5 Blue tee also. I've asked the City to mow the back 7 holes that were under water last year, and earlier this year. The weather won't help get that done anytime soon.

A quick list of what needs to happen to make the back completely playable:
#13 Blue tee needs 50 cubic yards of sand moved.
#14 Red tee needs to be uncovered. DONE
#14 Blue tee needs to have the sand dune in front leveled.
#14 Blue fairway needs to have a willow removed. DONE
#16 tee pads need to be moved away from the river's edge & tee signs replanted.
#18 approach needs steps installed (requested steps from City) DONE

We'll have to schedule work days soon.
Last edited by prodiscgolf on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
prodiscgolf

Postby jnecessary » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 am

Pasting Kelly's work night post here as well.

Kelly B wrote:The next 3 Tuesday nights we plan on having worknights at the Peninsula. This course really needs some attention. Please bring gloves, string trimmers, shovels, wheelbarrows, loppers, and any other tools you think might be useful. Please wear long heavy pants/jeans, the nettles and poison ivy are waist high.

I will be calling people to let them know of the worknights, we could use a pretty good sized crew for the next 3 Tuesdays.

ANYONE that has access to a bobcat... please get ahold of me, kevin, or jeff. we might have one, but unknown at this point.

We will NOT be canceling worknights if it is lightly sprinkling, it will have to be pouring rain for these next 3 worknights to be canceled.

June 16, June 23 and June 30, we will be meeting at the pavillion by the practice baskets at 5:30 pm. If you can't get there on time, no worries, please show up when you can and find us on the course.
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:14 am

BUMP

Kelly B wrote:June 23 and June 30, we will be meeting at the pavillion by the practice baskets at 5:30 pm. If you can't get there on time, no worries, please show up when you can and find us on the course.
jnecessary

Work day 6/30/09

Postby prodiscgolf » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:11 am

We have lots to do tonight at the Peninsula to clean up from last week's wind storm. Please meet us in the parking lot by 5:30 pm. If you can make it later, please call my cell to find out where to meet us on the course. 319-530-1474.

Things to bring: long pants, work gloves, chain saws if ya got em, hand saws, shovels, and lots of friends.

Thanks!
Jeff.
prodiscgolf

Postby prodiscgolf » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:55 am

What a great work night last night!!! Thanks to everyone who came out - I think I counted 11 of us out there! It was wonderful to have many hands. We cleared almost all the storm damage and installed the erosion control devices to #18's tees. The City mowed the open holes again and they look great!!

Next Tuesday evening, we'll have another work day to finish up a few other things - resetting steps on #5, moving #16's red tee away from the river's edge, and whatever else comest to mind.

Thanks again, and great work!
prodiscgolf

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:51 am

prodiscgolf wrote:erosion control devices

Or really great steps up the hill to 18's tee :)
jnecessary

Postby prodiscgolf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Moved 16's blue tee away from the riverbank thanks to Jimmy & his old truck. Greg cut some of the downed tree from next to 12's red tee and was heading to 8's fairway to cut the elm that fell a few weeks ago.

The City said they'd try to get to the large trees on #2 and #9. Don't know when, but it's on their list of things to do.
prodiscgolf

Postby IHearChains » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 am

prodiscgolf wrote:Moved 16's blue tee away from the riverbank thanks to Jimmy & his old truck. Greg cut some of the downed tree from next to 12's red tee and was heading to 8's fairway to cut the elm that fell a few weeks ago.

The City said they'd try to get to the large trees on #2 and #9. Don't know when, but it's on their list of things to do.

Also cleared most of a deadfall across 12 fairway, but my dinky chainsaw was not enough to take apart the main trunk. I think that can be left there, because its in the early part of the fairway where I doubt it will get in the way unless somebody earns it with a bad throw/kick.
IHearChains

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park