Camden League 1:00/$5.00-Random Draw

Davenport, Bettendorf, Moline, Rock Island and surrounding area leagues

Moderator: Sniper26

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:48 am

DVS1 wrote:Just a thought. One stretch of field tile will fix the water problem. I'd say 2.5+ deep. Maybe the club can purchase the tile if the city provides the work with a backhoe and one of the super fancy laser levels.

Don't you think it should be the other way around? We'd do the labor and they'd buy the tile. Although I guess I don't really know what would be involved in that kind of project. Backhoe? Super fancy laser level?

I just think we've gotten ourselves into some situations already by committing $ that should have come from the municipality where the work is done.

Course Committee project?
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby DVS1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:56 am

Lou wrote:Don't you think it should be the other way around? We'd do the labor and they'd buy the tile. Although I guess I don't really know what would be involved in that kind of project. Backhoe? Super fancy laser level?

I just think we've gotten ourselves into some situations already by committing $ that should have come from the municipality where the work is done.

Course Committee project?

The field tile will cost about $20. If the club won't cover it, I will. The city should do the labor because we won't want to hand dig and trench 40'x3'x3'. The Super fancy laser level is needed for precise grading, about an inch of rise for every 5 feet of run.
DVS1

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:23 am

$20 huh? I'll split it with ya.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Orange Guy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:28 pm

So for $20 you can get something that won't crush under the weight of commercial lawn mowers, city trucks and other larger equipment?
Orange Guy

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:34 pm

Maybe he forgot a couple of zeroes.
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby DVS1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:50 pm

LOL, guys

Here's a link with some pictures
http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/ ... tiles.html

In the top picture 8 types of tile are shown. The 7 on the right are old-school ceramic tiles. The one on the left is plastic. We'd use 4" (diameter) plastic tile, costing about $.50 a foot. You'll see in the pictures that a trench is dug and the tile is placed in at a proper grade. There are many small holes which allow the water to enter and get channeled to an exit (in our case a creek).

I’ve seen miles of this stuff installed. It’s great, it removes excess water but it keeps enough water in the ground for crops and grass to go. The soil around the tile prevents it from breaking. The only problem is tile can get clogged by an animal climbing in and getting stuck. (Last year I saw a guy lose his lunch when he pulled a raccoon from a sewer tile coming from a pig pin. It had crawl about 150ft up this 12in sewer tile and got stuck. It died with it’s mouth open and pig crap had been forced into it for months. When the guy pulled the raccoon out it was about 4 ft long and 50 pounds because it was full of crap, literally.)

Farmer’s drive their 4000+ lbs combines and such over these buried tiles all the time with no problems, so I doubt the city tractors or trucks will hurt it. And even if the tiles crack, as long as the bottom of them remains intact they still work fine (as long as gravity exists that is).
DVS1

Postby Orange Guy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:01 pm

That sounds like a great idea for a long term solution. I bet we could get Milan cover the cost on this and hopefully do the digging. I would imagine a crucial part of this is getting someone from the city out there to see just how bad it really is. I don't mind getting out there and help dig a small trench to alleviate the current problem, but digging one deep for proper slope sounds a bit more intense.

I've seen that stuff used. Actually, the stuff I've seen is just like that black plastic, but it's wrapped in a cloth to help keep the tile from filling with sediment.
Orange Guy

Postby Sniper26 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:38 pm

I think you guys are jumping the gun a little, The Illinois Soil and Conservation board and the city of Milan have been contacted and I will let you know what the have to say about it.
Sniper26

Postby Orange Guy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:39 am

Sniper26 wrote:I think you guys are jumping the gun a little, The Illinois Soil and Conservation board and the city of Milan have been contacted and I will let you know what the have to say about it.

Right. I wasn't thinking we were actually going to do this ... it was more of a "what they need to do to fix it," backseat driver or armchair quarterback kind of thing. "I'm gonna need some pliers and, uh, a set of 30-weight ball bearings."
Orange Guy

Postby Sniper26 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:42 am

hahaha
Sniper26

Postby KePP » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:11 pm

This was a very entertaining topic to read. I just moved back to the QC - I will be there tomorrow with shovel stuff. I also plan on attending the 4/17 meeting.
KePP

Postby Sniper26 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:14 pm

Nice to have you back Kepp!! You should also try to make it out to the Tuesday league the week after the meeting.
Sniper26

Postby KePP » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:59 pm

Lou wrote:
Daddy wrote: If there is a problem, then we can take it up at the meeting tonite

There is NO meeting tonight. The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday the 17th. At which time we will be voting on the 6 Ward Representative positions and the Chairperson.

Pat (or anyone, for that matter), please don't dig in the park without talking to someone from the city first.

Should this date be added to the League Committee thread? or is that something different

I definitely want to attend this meeting, where can I find details?
KePP

Postby KePP » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:59 pm

KePP wrote:This was a very entertaining topic to read. I just moved back to the QC - I will be there tomorrow with shovel stuff. I also plan on attending the 4/17 meeting.

Had a great time at mini/league. Nice job, Pat.
KePP

Postby Orange Guy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:35 pm

He's quoting himself!

Did #6 drain much more by the time you all got back there?
Orange Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Quad City