T minus 5 months to AFDO, baby!

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

T minus 5 months to AFDO, baby!

Postby grodney » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:50 pm

Can't wait to win that new car:
http://flogosh.web.aplus.net/id14.html

Get your TruPutt today and start practicing:
Image

July 2006 discussion:
http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.p ... art=1&vc=1

I think I agree with Brakel:
"
Makes our game more like golf. Putting becomes a lot harder and the short game becomes more critical.

Almost completely eliminates the "lay up vs. go for it" equation since the same kind of throw would usually be required for both, which is also like golf.

It is change. Disc golfers are ultra-orthodox about the way their game is played. Change is very, very bad, always.

It would require some people to learn a different kind of throw.

Conclusion: It is a cool idea. This is not a sport for cool ideas. It is as likely to succeed as a target as Dr. Fred's directional baskets. But if no one else wants the new car, I'll play the tournament on them.
"

I still say this event will never happen, at least not with a car to the winner.
User avatar
grodney
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

Re: T minus 5 months to AFDO, baby!

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:22 pm

grodney wrote:
I still say this event will never happen, at least not with a car to the winner.


ghey, and me either.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8556
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Postby irban » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:42 pm

It doesn't seem to be a very good analogue to ball golf putting, if that is what they are trying to accomplish. With ball golf, the green surface is a key element allowing a lot of variability in a small area. With this, you basically have an identical challenge within x feet of the basket regardless. It seem like you would mainly be laying it up for a drop in from anywhere outside of 30 or 40 feet.

At least with a large target, the 'green' can be pretty large, allowing more variability with obstacles and elevation changes. In other words, I think it is easier to set up a preferred landing spot with traditional baskets than it would be with these.

Also, it doesn't seem like it would be that fun a shot to putt like this. You are trying to get the disc to do something it is not designed to do, stop and drop in a precise spot. Even a ball putt has a hole to stop its forward motion. This would be like shooting baskets with a football or something.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5238
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:55 pm

Also, with discs there are other variables that have a much greater and more challenging impact than ball golf putting; Wind, natural fade of the disc. And like Irban said there is nothing to stop the disc from it's travel. If there were a back board on that type of target, then maybe.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:16 pm

Buzzznation wrote:Also, with discs there are other variables that have a much greater and more challenging impact than ball golf putting; Wind, natural fade of the disc. And like Irban said there is nothing to stop the disc from it's travel. If there were a back board on that type of target, then maybe.
You Haven't played much ball golf have you
User avatar
frogawitdafizzle
 
Posts: 1523
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: the lily pad at the pond

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:16 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:Also, with discs there are other variables that have a much greater and more challenging impact than ball golf putting; Wind, natural fade of the disc. And like Irban said there is nothing to stop the disc from it's travel. If there were a back board on that type of target, then maybe.
You Haven't played much ball golf have you


Enough to know that I suck at it.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Re: T minus 5 months to AFDO, baby!

Postby Single L » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:11 am

grodney wrote:I think I agree with Brakel:
"
Makes our game more like golf. Putting becomes a lot harder and the short game becomes more critical.


Our sport, Disc Golf, is not Ball Golf. I wish people would stop trying to make it that way.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby Sniper26 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 am

This is not ball golf!!! I don't think that any of us want to be associated with that group of grey haired docker wearing snobs. Now that I think about it I might go out and start sniping people with a BB gun on ball golf courses.
User avatar
Sniper26
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Moline, IL

Postby dx pete » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:03 am

Sniper26 wrote:This is not ball golf!!! I don't think that any of us want to be associated with that group of grey haired docker wearing snobs. Now that I think about it I might go out and start sniping people with a BB gun on ball golf courses.


If you see a drunk guy about 5'11", 230 lbs, shaved head, sittin' pretty on the green with an Iron Lion shirt on, make your shot count because he is holding a 3' metal stick! :D
opulence, I has it.
dx pete
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:56 am
Location: QC USA

Postby MDR_3000 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:41 pm

Sniper26 wrote:This is not ball golf!!! I don't think that any of us want to be associated with that group of grey haired docker wearing snobs. Now that I think about it I might go out and start sniping people with a BB gun on ball golf courses.


You'd rather be associated with a bunch of doped up, tree hugging, no shoes wearing hippies?
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
User avatar
MDR_3000
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:09 pm
Location: Straight outta NoCash.


Return to National Tournaments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest