St. Louis 2/24 and 2/25

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby SoCal19 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:10 pm

AO wrote:
batlord wrote: It was MISERABLE. So how did everyone fare (besides the laundramat incident which has now blinded me...)

Mike got 4th both days and probably took around $65
I got 2nd and 4th and cashed $100 and also another $50 for shooting 2nd best overall score both days.
George Smith won both days and went home with $200 and bonus of $100 for overall.

I didn't fair so well. I took DFL both days, but was only last by 1 stroke on Sunday. I had a good time and learned a lot of good things from playing with better players. I got an added bonus by getting on the same card with George Smith. Great Putter. I got to see what consistent golf looks like. It was weird, becuase he didn't look like he was playing well, especially with the conditions, but he still shot the best score of the round and ended up winning the tourney. Awesome and classy guy. It was a great experience.
SoCal19

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 pm

yeah, funny you say that about George. For those of you that don't know already (many do),

George Smith = dude I used to play pool (9-ball, snooker, etc) with all the time, and got me into disc golf, back in 1999, when I lived in Columbia. I remember him talking about it (disc) alot, and me always trying to get the topic of conversation back to pool, then one day, it clicked----maybe it would be cool/fun. I think I had started hearing more about it, so I went and checked out the finals of the Mid-American Open back in 1999, witnessed Jeff Harper, LaRon, George, and some guy from Wisconsin that I can't recall battle it out. (George won) I was determined to play from then on.

I knew the disc golf community was pretty cool, and tight knit, when I moved to the QC and saw Harper again, somewhere in the QC through Clark, I think, can't remember for sure. Probably around the time DG was first being designed (2000-2001).

George is a great guy, he's been a good friend of mine for around 11 years.
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:25 pm

George is a great guy. He is kind of a sleeper. I played the Majestic with him, he shot -13 at Kaposia and I had no idea he was playing that well. Class act.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Discwrangler wrote:George is a great guy. He is kind of a sleeper. I played the Majestic with him, he shot -13 at Kaposia and I had no idea he was playing that well. Class act.

Indeed.

If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby claya » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:54 pm

Discwrangler wrote:George is a great guy. He is kind of a sleeper. I played the Majestic with him, he shot -13 at Kaposia and I had no idea he was playing that well. Class act.

George got robbed on the rating, that had to be one of the best rounds ever.
claya

Postby AO » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:41 pm

claya wrote:

No joke! 8 1000 rated players at the MN Majestic that year, 8 stokes better than the next score, not one other score was rated 1000, and he only got a 1053. That is BS for a rating. That layout we played that year was insane. In the final nine he threw one of the sickest shots. The shot was from the pedestrian bridge to the practice basket. Everyone threw drivers and were not even close. George threw a Wizard=parked
AO

Postby AO » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:36 am

George Smith averaged 1027 over the weekend. If he can carry over that putting to the windy courses in AZ he should do really well.
AO

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:16 am

MDR_3000 wrote:

Indeed.

.....I think Blade Brown is the biggest asshole on the planet.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Like_Water » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:54 am

AO wrote:
claya wrote:

No joke! 8 1000 rated players at the MN Majestic that year, 8 stokes better than the next score, not one other score was rated 1000, and he only got a 1053. That is BS for a rating. That layout we played that year was insane. In the final nine he threw one of the sickest shots. The shot was from the pedestrian bridge to the practice basket. Everyone threw drivers and were not even close. George threw a Wizard=parked

It was actually a -9. Still....

I threw a shark on that hole.. my first final 9 and I was nervous as hell.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby peyton » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:05 am

Jay, the other player in '99 was my brother Tim.
peyton

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:24 pm

interesting, now that you do say that, I do remember a lefty. THanks Doug.
GDL17921

Postby chappyfade » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:05 am

peyton wrote:Jay, the other player in '99 was my brother Tim.

Beat me to the punch. That was the last MAO I was TD for, as I moved to KC 7 days after that. I remembered Tim was in the final that year.

I remember beating George quite a bit in local minis back in the old days. Of course, I probably haven't gotten within 10 shots of him for a round in like 15 years. Good putter, but very streaky with his putter as well. Can go on streaks where he doesn't miss anything from 60 feet and in. Can also go the other way, although he's gotten more consistent over the years.

Chap
chappyfade

Previous

Return to National Tournaments