2012 USDGC

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby cgkdisc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Not PDGA. Innova. PDGA only approves proposed formats. If PDGA owned event and found different hosts, you may see more conventional formats but much lower payouts among other things.
cgkdisc

Postby Detra319 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:45 pm

Ok...well screw Innova! :lol:
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby cgkdisc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:07 pm

It's surprising there's so much whining when Innova puts more money into pro sponsorship, added cash and tournament support than any other business. The amount of Innova added cash to the USDGC purse this year was $4000 higher than 2010 to $37,250 amounting to more than $640 added cash per Open player entered.
cgkdisc

Postby tufluk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:36 am

Who's not resistant to change? I have several of the old DVDs of the "one class, one championship" USDGC. Climo/Shultz, etc. Then they change the OB to all stroke and distance penalty. OK, just a tweak. Then last year happened. This year, another rules change.
If this was a new tourney, no one would say much. USDGC has been like The Masters, or the World Series. Give out a red jacket at the masters, or let a college baseball team into the World Series, spotting them 5 runs and aluminum bats. The howling would be the same.
That said, "he who pays the piper, calls the tune". Innova runs it, Innova makes the rules. I guess tradition doesn't count for as much these days.
The bright side is, having a "performance flight" allows talented amateurs to experience the event.
The state of Iowa did seem to have a good crew of guys attend, and a tip of the hat to their performance. Congrats.
tufluk

Postby irban » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am

cgkdisc wrote:It's surprising there's so much whining when Innova puts more money into pro sponsorship, added cash and tournament support than any other business. The amount of Innova added cash to the USDGC purse this year was $4000 higher than 2010 to $37,250 amounting to more than $640 added cash per Open player entered.

Innova was the main cash support for the 04 Worlds, that's for sure.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 am

haven't seen discraft do this yet either......j/s
GDL17921

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 am

cgkdisc wrote:It's surprising there's so much whining when Innova puts more money into pro sponsorship, added cash and tournament support than any other business. The amount of Innova added cash to the USDGC purse this year was $4000 higher than 2010 to $37,250 amounting to more than $640 added cash per Open player entered.

And what was the total amount of money made from USDGC Rocs that mainstreamed to retail sales this year? So because they make and sell a product and donate a stream of those sales to thier own event, they are golden?
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Ask the pros who made all that payout over the years if they are golden including those sponsored by Discraft. Innova lost money overall even counting Roc sales for all of the years up to 2011 when you consider the cost of running the event plus payout and the huge labor cost when you consider they paid all of their employees involved in advance prep and running the event. Even with no payout in 2011, it's still possible they just broke even at best.

As I stated before no other company comes close to contributing what Innova does back to the sport going way beyond just the USDGC. Yes, they continue to be the goose laying the golden Roc.
cgkdisc

Postby Discgo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:33 pm

cgkdisc wrote:Ask the pros who made all that payout over the years if they are golden including those sponsored by Discraft. Innova lost money overall even counting Roc sales for all of the years up to 2011 when you consider the cost of running the event plus payout and the huge labor cost when you consider they paid all of their employees involved in advance prep and running the event. Even with no payout in 2011, it's still possible they just broke even at best.

As I stated before no other company comes close to contributing what Innova does back to the sport going way beyond just the USDGC. Yes, they continue to be the goose laying the golden Roc.

This also includes them keeping the ace pool. I didn't hear of any aces when I was there in 2011 and I put $20 into the ace fund. There was never a throw off for it either. Where did that money go?
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby claring » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Discgo wrote:
cgkdisc wrote:Ask the pros who made all that payout over the years if they are golden including those sponsored by Discraft. Innova lost money overall even counting Roc sales for all of the years up to 2011 when you consider the cost of running the event plus payout and the huge labor cost when you consider they paid all of their employees involved in advance prep and running the event. Even with no payout in 2011, it's still possible they just broke even at best.

This also includes them keeping the ace pool. I didn't hear of any aces when I was there in 2011 and I put $20 into the ace fund. There was never a throw off for it either. Where did that money go?

prob same place this years went
claring

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Devan Owens had an ace this year on 7. Was he not in the ace pool? Are you sure no one won the ace pool in 2011? I don't have the hole scores for that year to check.
cgkdisc

Postby claring » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:50 pm

cgkdisc wrote:Devan Owens had an ace this year on 7. Was he not in the ace pool? Are you sure no one won the ace pool in 2011? I don't have the hole scores for that year to check.

That was during the first rd, ace pool is a $5/rd
claring

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Ah, has anyone asked Innova about the distribution of ace money? It may say somewhere that the money goes to EDGE or something along those lines.
cgkdisc

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Thats thier choice. The USDGC is also the biggest Innova add of the year. If your trying to tell me its hurting them to run this tourney, I call bullshit. All years up to 2011 the Rocs were only available to supporters and few to the public, not to mention the run numbers were shorter.

Once they started mainstreaming it, I find it hard to believe they are losing money unless they cant stick to a budget.

That said, I in no way am trying to de-value what Innova does for disc golf, or act as if they do less than anyone else. Im sure they do the most, they make the most. You keep bringing that up based off of one post someone made bashing Innova. This isnt DGCR, the Mods arent going to protect everyone and everything.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:15 pm

Annual financial losses were one of a few key reasons they changed the format from all Open in 2010 to the Performance version in 2011. Those earlier losses were budgeted as an investment toward getting more spectators to eventually bring in other bigger sponsors. It didn't happen nor did it look like it would happen. So the change was made in 2011 to find an event formula that was more financially viable in addition to still meeting their promotional goals over the long haul. We'll see if they were satisfied with the split field format this year if it continues unchanged next year.
cgkdisc

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments