2012 USDGC

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Single L » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 am

cgkdisc wrote:The Bullseye concept is reasonable but the current Bullseye design doesn't have a deep enough basket. We used one as temp basket in a non-sanctioned event and "good" putts were bouncing out primarily since there weren't the usual outer chains to help keep potential "bouncers" in there.

Not anymore than the "Approved" Old Mach I & II's that are still out there on courses today. I’m not saying that this is a good thing, and that your point doesn’t have merit, just pointing out that there are approved targets with that same issues. Again they’re needs to be better target standards.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Single L wrote:
cgkdisc wrote:The Bullseye concept is reasonable but the current Bullseye design doesn't have a deep enough basket. We used one as temp basket in a non-sanctioned event and "good" putts were bouncing out primarily since there weren't the usual outer chains to help keep potential "bouncers" in there.

Not anymore than the "Approved" Old Mach I & II's that are still out there on courses today. I’m not saying that this is a good thing, and that your point doesn’t have merit, just pointing out that there are approved targets with that same issues. Again they’re needs to be better target standards.

I think that knowing the target and the issues they can present is what makes putting harder. It's like the green in ball golf. nothing really affects us in regards to the playing surface, but the targets inconsistencies do present problems. Sorry, you just can't put how you like to every time, nor should you be able to.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:44 pm

cgkdisc wrote:I submitted a detailed proposal to PDGA HQ and the Board in January 2008 for doing a league program along with a lower cost PDGA league membership. Despite interest, it kept getting put off due to other priorities. Kevin McCoy finally picked up on it a few years later and made it a key part of his platform for getting elected to the Board last year.

Well kudos Chuck! That was a great idea.

And didn't we get ratings when Harold went T&D in 2010? I really thought the course played the best this way.
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:41 pm

The difference with shallow baskets on the old Mach I/II is they had the outer chains which helped reduce discs that wanted to bounce out. The Bullseye doesn't have the outer chains to reduce that so a deeper basket is warranted to make the concept work better.

Ratings were done for 2010 USDGC with much concern. Roger and I recommended not to do them. But as contractors to the PDGA, they made the call for us to do them even if a little more dicey than normal USDGC ratings. Those have occasionally been unfair regardless of format just due to changing wind and ground conditions over the day. The Memorial and Gentleman's tee time events also can have less fair ratings due to changing conditions over the span of the day where conditions get averaged out.
cgkdisc

Postby Single L » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:08 pm

cgkdisc wrote:The difference with shallow baskets on the old Mach I/II is they had the outer chains which helped reduce discs that wanted to bounce out. The Bullseye doesn't have the outer chains to reduce that so a deeper basket is warranted to make the concept work better.

You're dancing around my main point that there needs to be better standards for targets. Uniform across the board and constructed so silly rules like wedges and top of basket don't have to exist. Holing out should be pretty self explanatory :roll:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby irban » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Single L wrote:
cgkdisc wrote:The difference with shallow baskets on the old Mach I/II is they had the outer chains which helped reduce discs that wanted to bounce out. The Bullseye doesn't have the outer chains to reduce that so a deeper basket is warranted to make the concept work better.

You're dancing around my main point that there needs to be better standards for targets. Uniform across the board and constructed so silly rules like wedges and top of basket don't have to exist. Holing out should be pretty self explanatory :roll:

Well, if you make them too strict, you obsolete a certain percentage of courses. At least for sanctioned play. To me, the variability of targets is comparable to the variability of greens in golf.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Harmon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:34 pm

is this the USDGC thread? or is this the Ball golf compared to Disc golf thread?

where is the discussion about the Iowa players?

... our Muscatine rep. Mr. Thad Gunther still top iowan in the performance flight ... Go Thad !

... I still don't fully understand the scoring ? handicapped each round stuff?
projected?
Where there is Love there is Hope (Widespread Panic)
Harmon

Postby Detra319 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Why would you want to move up to open where payouts are worse, the players are not nearly as fun to play with, and the top to bottom gap is even larger? Open fields suffer because the top open players are getting even better than ever before, while the rest of disc golf is not really progressing that much.

I think alot of it has to do also with the increased entry fees. Its 50-60 bucks for most entry fees for pros, and thats alot especially considering alot of people play DG because of how cheap the sport is. Take into account that there are less pros, so there are less people to travel with and to split costs with and you start to see some of the different issues.

I think all in all that you basically need to make the money there and they will come, or find out how the Euros get 150 pros in their tournaments. Prob has something to do with the fact that they have 3 big tournaments a year and we have 20.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Harmon wrote:is this the USDGC thread? or is this the Ball golf compared to Disc golf thread?

... our Muscatine rep. Mr. Thad Gunther still top iowan in the performance flight ... Go Thad !

projected?

Wel since they completely fucked this tournament up, that's where the topic for debate came from. Go Thaddeus!
Like_Water

Postby Like_Water » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:51 am

Man I can Only imagine what it would be like to shoot 3 rounds at Winthrop and only have 2 bogeys like Anthon or Will.

How did Avery take a 7 on hole 1?
Like_Water

Postby Nohr » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:05 am

Like_Water wrote:Man I can Only imagine what it would be like to shoot 3 rounds at Winthrop and only have 2 bogeys like Anthon or Will.

How did Avery take a 7 on hole 1?

dgcr said he showed up late. Also there were too many tress for him on the hole.
Nohr

Postby AO » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Like_Water wrote:The penalty has been wussified.

Between myself and the guys I competed against I counted 33 par saves after going ob. Some were saved after going ob 2x.
AO

Postby claring » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Harmon wrote:is this the USDGC thread? or is this the Ball golf compared to Disc golf thread?

projected?

Seems like he didn't finish as the top Iowan :shock: :lol: :o :shock:
claring

Postby SpikeHyzer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:17 am

Very nice finishing round yesterday Claring.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Detra319 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Anyone else think this performance flight is a joke? The concept is awesome.....and I would probably play in it even though I think its a joke, just to be on winthrop while the top pros are.

But to my real point....how stupid is it to have someone crush the field the whole way and there never be any drama in it? he didnt even really shoot that much better than anyone else, he just happened to be rated properly for the system to give him lots of hanicap love. I know there is a minimum rounds rating, but there needs to be a recency issue as well. You can play a couple tournies at the beginning of the year, establish enough rounds to get yourself qualified, and then just not play PDGA the rest of the year until USDGC and then crush everyone, because most people get better as the year goes along and they play more and more.

Its very frustrating to want to follow this event, want to get involved and watch the local guys shoot, but its very pointless to watch something like this with no drama.

And...the no OB penalty is ridiculous. Dont even get me started on a no OB penalty on a course with miles and miles of yellow rope. What a ridiculous concept. I know you want aggressive play, but then why have it at a course like Winthrop if you want aggressive play?

Seeing the same holes over and over for the top event is another issue. The US open isnt played at the same place every year. No tournament is. This is the same place and the holes barely change. Its supposed to be the premier event in disc golf, but they cant even take time to vary the course more than they do? You have enough money to buy land and put in an entire course, but you can make alternate layouts? I can make alternate layouts with some flags at the local course, its not hard....

Anyways, I'm very dissappointed in the direction that PDGA has went with this event. I know the intentions were good, but it appears that none of the execution was.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments