2012 USDGC

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby AO » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:06 pm

discgolfduval wrote:I think the average player rating is way up which is why the scores are much better. Pretty simple.

Yep..and there are only 58 this year compared to 165ish in past years.
AO

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Anyone getting the live stream? its super choppy and no volume for me.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Carter45145 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Like_Water wrote:Anyone getting the live stream? its super choppy and no volume for me.
Yeah live stream is junk and the live scoring isn't working either. Hope they get it figured out by the weekend... :roll:
Can't criticize our smile...
Carter45145

Postby Discgo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Like_Water wrote:Anyone getting the live stream? its super choppy and no volume for me.
the choppiness is probably just the ams
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 pm

worked great for me today. I didn't h ave live scoring up, just the video.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Nohr » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Feed for me has been very choppy over the past 2 days. I have almost no coverage b/c I can't stand audio/video stopping every 5 seconds.
Nohr

Postby Clue » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:26 pm

This is my 4th time with the 1st being in '01. I've played different configurations and every kind of OB rule. I like this version the best, especially for mere mortals. It does play really clean and fast. AO has been getting done in 3 hours. We've been taking @4.

The only downside to the OB rule is the incredibly good scores you can take even after throwing OB. I made double on 11 today throwing 3 consecutive OB. One guy made par after his birdie putt rolled OB. Another almost made birdie after throwing his tee shot on 10 OB. Oh, and I've made par both days on 888 after throwing OB on my 1st tee shot both times.
Clue

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:41 pm

The one thing not mentioned about this buncr format is you get "revenge" on holes right during the round. Every shot on your scorecard was pretty much an actual throw (unless maybe you missed a mando or was that also played with a rethrow?). So you actually "get to make" more throws on this beautiful course for the same score compared with regular OB rules.
cgkdisc

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:41 pm

That's nice and all, but this is still called the US Championship. Give the best in the world a second chance and it's almost null and void. The penalty has been wussified.

I played buncr at TCI yesterday, shot 98. :D
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:13 pm

"Wussification" is actually following the regular OB rule where you didn't execute the prescribed throw and still get to move forward with only a single penalty. Buncr rule forces you to execute every tee and lie essentially until you get it right. That's more studly and potentially punitive than regular OB. No dodging any shot.
cgkdisc

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Maybe, but not for the best players, on what is now, a not very difficult course.

What happens in ball golf when a player hits their tee shot ob?
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:28 pm

There's no true OB in the primary playing area of ball golf courses (same as disc golf), just hazards where you don't even have to take a penalty if you can play it. If you take the penalty, it counts as one shot, same net effect as shooting again.

See my post at 8:56am today further up. Minimal difference in how the course plays (SSA) with regular OB versus buncr rule.
cgkdisc

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 pm

So its stroke and distance.

Why does a more technical, more difficult game use more punitive rules?

Ive played a myriad of rules at Winthrop, stroke and distance made it play the best.
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:22 pm

It's rare when a ball golf PGA pro is even risking a stroke and distance penalty let alone hits OB. The OB outer boundaries of tour ball golf courses are usually far enough beyond most fairways that you never see them. Some British Open courses like St. Andrews have a few true OB boundaries affecting some holes.

Ball golf on balance does not use more punitive rules during play. For example, they have more relief options than disc golf. It's tournament rules like mis-added scorecards causing DQ that are more punitive.

It's ill-advised use and misapplication of ball golf penalty ideas in disc golf that's sometimes a problem like island holes with no forward drop zones unlike ball golf which always has them.

If all of the NT courses played had OB on most every hole with T&D rules, then nothing wrong with blanket T&D penalties present on every hole at the USDGC. It's just a different game than the current disc golf rules that got every elite player to the event. Either do all NT and A-tier courses with miles of rope with T&D or not at all.
cgkdisc

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:02 am

Obviously the two games are very different in terms of difficulty. It's disappointing that our game, the easier one, has watered down its Major. I'm not saying we need to be ball golf, I just see it as a good example it a lot of ways.

I just explained the Bunc'r rule to an avid golfer....he just laughed, about spewing milk out his nose. That was funny, slighlty embarrassing, but funny.
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments