Memorial

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby The Donator » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 am

Yeah he definitely wouldnt have been able to play another hole if he tore it or re-tore it. Looks like he may have to rethink his non-stop tour...
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby AO » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Felberg just threw an wild round. 42?!?!?!?

Top 3 throttle the field.
Last edited by AO on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AO

Postby The Donator » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:00 pm

1115, 1054, 1019, 1112...nice third place and five strokes back...seriously wtf is going on here
The Donator

Postby The Donator » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Stevie Rico's line is ridiculous as well - 1040 1064 1072 1048...aaaand thirteen strokes out of first place, thanks for coming see ya later
The Donator

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:50 am

carlos mencia reeeee taaarrrrrddddded der der der its sik huh
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby discgolfduval » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:06 pm

The Donator wrote:Stevie Rico's line is ridiculous as well - 1040 1064 1072 1048...aaaand thirteen strokes out of first place, thanks for coming see ya later

LOL...exactly. Im not really sure why anyone would play an NT that wasn't at their home course or real close by. What a joke.
discgolfduval

Postby Chase20460 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:09 pm

I almost have to agree....and think the ratings system is broken.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby cgkdisc » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 pm

The ratings system worked exactly as it always does, providing numbers for what happened. The average ratings of the propagators exactly equaled the average of round ratings produced. For every point Feldberg, McBeth and Schusterick earned, other players lost.

The question is what does it mean when we have so many 1100+ rounds? Those players shot those really low scores. Should they not earn those high ratings? Looking back at previous Memorial layouts, the SSAs were in line with what was produced this past weekend.

The course design and weather conspired to make these 1100 rounds possible. The lengths of several par 3s on both courses were only deuceable by elite players (over 375') and several par 4s only reachable for birdies by elite players. Combine that with lots of narrow fairways, OB hazards and more than the average number of rusty players traveling from all over, and you have set the table for what happened. The only part you couldn't count on was the relatively mild/calm winds on three of four days including those when the 1100+ rounds were thrown.
cgkdisc

Postby The Donator » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:25 pm

cgkdisc wrote:The ratings system worked exactly as it always does, providing numbers for what happened. The average ratings of the propagators exactly equaled the average of round ratings produced. For every point Feldberg, McBeth and Schusterick earned, other players lost.

The question is what does it mean when we have so many 1100+ rounds? Those players shot those really low scores. Should they not earn those high ratings? Looking back at previous Memorial layouts, the SSAs were in line with what was produced this past weekend.

The course design and weather conspired to make these 1100 rounds possible. The lengths of several par 3s on both courses were only deuceable by elite players (over 375') and several par 4s only reachable for birdies by elite players. Combine that with lots of narrow fairways, OB hazards and more than the average number of rusty players traveling from all over, and you have set the table for what happened. The only part you couldn't count on was the relatively mild/calm winds on three of four days including those when the 1100+ rounds were thrown.

The Memorial has always been notorious for having the tournament with extremely high rated rounds. If the top finishing players shot career rounds this year, i would say its an anomaly, but its been like this for at least the past 5 years i can remember for the Memorial. The same 15+ top players that have been playing this tournament play most the other NT's and Worlds also, and we never see these crazy ratings among all those the past years. Must just be those courses.
The Donator

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:20 am

cgkdisc wrote:The ratings system worked exactly as it always does, providing numbers for what happened. The average ratings of the propagators exactly equaled the average of round ratings produced. For every point Feldberg, McBeth and Schusterick earned, other players lost.

Spoken like a true company man.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 am

The Donator wrote:

The Memorial has always been notorious for having the tournament with extremely high rated rounds. If the top finishing players shot career rounds this year, i would say its an anomaly, but its been like this for at least the past 5 years i can remember for the Memorial. The same 15+ top players that have been playing this tournament play most the other NT's and Worlds also, and we never see these crazy ratings among all those the past years. Must just be those courses.

Oddly, it seems they are growing at all NTs and Majors. SO then Chuck, why not at all events? I guess these "elite" players only do it on the biggest stage? They arent tearing up other tourneys? Or is it the field isnt juiced enough to give the ratings the Memorial gets?

Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 am

....Why dont we have real handicapping like ball golf? I was told once the system was in place by the guy who decided the PGA hadicaps and the PDGA shot it down. I was also told it was around the same time you worked to develop this ratings formula? So what gives?

Also, how was it possible to develop something 10 years ago when numbers like this werent being made and to think all the changes in disc golf since havent affected the formula? And..how much can the TD alter the rating with his report, if at all?

Thanks!

Chase20460

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 am

We do have real handicapping like ball golf. It's been available from DGU using the same process as PDGA ratings for several years now: http://www.discgolfunited.com

Sagarin provided some test data to the PDGA back around 2002 using his system. But it only deals with rank finishes and not how many shots between finish positions, no divisional distinctions and no differentiation for different courses. Just not sufficient precision and output information for disc golf.

The core round rating formula is independent of advances in the sport. It's like multiplication: 3 x 4 will always be 12 by definition no matter how advanced our civilization becomes. Only the range of values output may change due to advances such as the exceptional rounds we saw at the Memorial.
cgkdisc

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks for your reply. Im not sure I agree with it, but will admit freely I am not the brightest light when it comes to ratings.

Chase20460

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 pm

The course designs at the Memorial don't provide better ratings overall but more extreme ratings than most courses at other NTs and Majors with similar SSA ratings. You can see it at Winthrop if you look closely compared with other gold level courses. But higher SSA courses naturally narrow the ratings distributions to offset the open course, narrow fairways, lots of OB and extra long par 3 effect at the Memorial so it's more difficult to see.

Tee time rounds on open courses like GCC and Memorial many times hurt the ratings somewhat in divisions who play early since it's not uncommon for the winds to be higher in the morning than the afternoon. I've stated many times over the years that I would be fine if we didn't rate tee time rounds on open courses with large fields in the same division. But since it's usually the higher level divisions involved, they want to get ratings even if the process is dicier compared with shotgun rounds.
cgkdisc

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments