2012 GBO

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby AO » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:56 am

Top notch tourney that's for sure. Jeremy DD is driving a large machine. I was impressed.
Last edited by AO on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
AO

Postby Nohr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:58 am

Single L wrote:
Nohr wrote:So they broke the rules?

One can always argue that the pairings they put together was one of the random combinations.

Now your being dumb. I already posted that the rest of the field followed a ratings based pattern, so their grouping can't be argued as a random cobination. If they would have randomized the entire field than they could try to argue that it was a random pairing.

I am not being dumb I am actually using my education to understand what a psuedo-random outcome could look like. I think I know more about pseudo-random than you do. Your perception of pseudo-random is what is throwing you off. A pseudo-random set of 1's and 0's could be the following:

Code: Select all

Doesn't seem very pseudo-random to us but it is a valid pairing. Having a rule saying that you can pair them randomly opens it up to any combination that you want. The pairing was one of the pseudo-random pairing combinations. Now did they use a pseudo-random function to pick the final set of pairings?
Nohr

GBO

Postby DLCdisc » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 am

Player pack for AMs exceeded the value of my entry for sure. Had a lot of fun this weekend, and really had no problems with how it was run. There were some rules questions in my group that had a couple of guys bitchin about the books and the TD's. I see both sides -- things should be communicated as clearly as possible, but I am a firm beleiver in asking questions before I pull the trigger so the only person to be pissed at is me if I mess it up :evil: .

As far as the groupings go, I don't like the supergroup idea for only one reason. There are some guys playing open that aren't there expecting to win, but rather to play the best they can, have a good time, and hopefully put together a good weekend and end up in the money. I would think it would be pretty rewarding to play a round with one of the big dogs or better yet witness a sick 1100 rated round from someone at the top of the game. It would mean a little more to someone like me to have a top rated pro compliment a good shot of mine :shock: .

Thanks for the cheers before teeing off on hole #1 Jason, Todd, and Ryan. Kinda funny hearing your name called to tee off and having people holler out in the background. :lol:
DLCdisc

Postby Like_Water » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:54 pm

On the subject of the live coverage, it needs to be tweaked based on what the public wants. No one cares about a "supergroup" on the fiirst day. More people would rather see their homies. Covering the lead card the last day, absolutely.

The problem is it affects the tournament process. Why should 4 guys have to deal with cameramen getting into position? Waiting for the feed to connect? Why should others have to deal with the golf carts 20ft away firing up in the middle of a putt because they are watching only one card, on the first day?

It was cool to watch the lead card on the last day in the clubhouse. I just wonder if its going to last. It has to cost money, is it generating money?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Discgo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:16 pm

I am definitely in for next year. This has quickly become my favorite tournament of the year that I get to play in (I help run the challenge).

Does the TD get the option to let players play down a division? I asked after the first round why a 940 rated local was allowed to play intermediate. I was told they were not aware of it at the start and would move him up but that never happened. It doesn't matter much to me because I beat him but alot of other players in the "protected" division did not. Is it up to the TD? I read the rules and it was pretty clear he should have been DQ'd.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby Like_Water » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Discgo wrote: I read the rules and it was pretty clear he should have been DQ'd.

Dude, disc gofers don't read the rules. :lol:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Sniper26 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I belive that is coverd in the TD handbook.
Sniper26

Postby JBOCK » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 pm

A bad day at disc golf is still better than a good day at anything else.... Unless its also disc golf
JBOCK

Postby JBOCK » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:22 pm

A bad day at disc golf is still better than a good day at anything else.... Unless its also disc golf
JBOCK

Postby medicinal funk » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
medicinal funk

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm

cgkdisc wrote:The ratings of the players in your group have no bearing on how well you shoot. Zero effect statistically. Nothing unfair about super groups.
Please quit defending the PDGA way on here.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:50 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:
cgkdisc wrote:The ratings of the players in your group have no bearing on how well you shoot. Zero effect statistically. Nothing unfair about super groups.
agreed
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Beerman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:03 pm

Discgo wrote:
Does the TD get the option to let players play down a division? I asked after the first round why a 940 rated local was allowed to play intermediate. I was told they were not aware of it at the start and would move him up but that never happened. It doesn't matter much to me because I beat him but alot of other players in the "protected" division did not. Is it up to the TD? I read the rules and it was pretty clear he should have been DQ'd.

The player in question is not current so I can't say exactly why he was allowed to play intermediate.

Not looking at a book so I am going by my aging memory here. There is a rule that states a player may choose to play in a division that he/she is not qalified for based on ratings within 2 weeks of the most current ratings update. With the early registration of most people its hard saying what his actual rating was at the time of registration.
Beerman

Postby Discgo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Beerman wrote:
Discgo wrote:

The player in question is not current so I can't say exactly why he was allowed to play intermediate.

Not looking at a book so I am going by my aging memory here. There is a rule that states a player may choose to play in a division that he/she is not qalified for based on ratings within 2 weeks of the most current ratings update. With the early registration of most people its hard saying what his actual rating was at the time of registration.

Here are the two rules that I think apply
PDGA wrote:A. Players are not allowed to enter a division for which they are ineligible. Please see The Table of PDGA Tour Player Divisions for specifics.

B. A player is solely responsible for knowing what division(s) they are eligible to compete in. Entry into an ineligible division may result in disqualification from the event and/or suspension from PDGA events.

I asked the player about his rating and he said he had no clue what he was rated and that he had just renewed his PDGA. I also asked the TD and was told it didn't matter because the player hit a tree on his first drive. I then brought up the rule in question and was told it would be taken care of and he would be moved up to advanced (didn't happen, and not sure it could have with different pools on different courses). I didn't want to be a jerk so I didn't push it but the rules are pretty clear. It doesn't really matter because the payout was not affected but a lot of players shelled out a lot of money to come play in that "protected" division. I am not complaining, just wondering if it was handled correctly.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby cgkdisc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:36 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote:

It's not the PDGA way but the preference of DiscGolfPlanet and event TDs to do Supergroups. They have to get a waiver from the PDGA to do Supergroups because it's against PDGA Competition rules.
cgkdisc

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments