Spamtown - July 2 *B-Tier*

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Spamtown - July 2 *B-Tier*

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Anyone besides me going to this?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 pm

thought I remembered AO saying he might be going to this in the Colfax thread.
GDL17921

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:21 pm

We have up to 4 Pro GMs caravaning there.
cgkdisc

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 pm

cgkdisc wrote:We have up to 4 Pro GMs caravaning there.

there ya go Tanner! :lol:
GDL17921

Postby discgolfduval » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Go get em Tanner! :lol:
discgolfduval

Postby claring » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Should have asked earlier I am already in Austin see you here
claring

Postby claring » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:22 am

So played with a guy today that almost always takes two discs to the tee or his shot with him decides which to throw and then "tosses" the other away. After he did this 3-4 times the other guy on the card calls him for a practice throw when he tossed it from behind his lie to his bag in front of him up from the creek bed. This is the correct call and understandably the guy gets upset about it. He goes off on us as I seconded the call and says that this is bad sportsmanship and wanted to know how we could live with the call. I told him it was easy as all we aere doing was enforcing the rules in which he should know as he was playing in a "pro" division. Once againn he does this but from the tee so the other guy on my card calls him again and we tell him we will give him the benfit of the dought and he could play that as his shot or it would be a practice stroke and he could throw his tee shot. Fortunately Chuck Kennedy was in the group behind us so he helped us out with both calls. Needless to say after the second time he really went off and carried on about it the rest of the round. This really made the rest of the round unenjoyable.

The moral of the story is this is exactly why people don't call alot of things as this is usually what happens.

Nice shooting today Tanner -16 from the shorts and -6 from the longs! Too bad AO stayed home to check out some phone number :lol:

The moral of the story is
claring

Postby Clue » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:12 pm

claring wrote:The moral of the story is this is exactly why people don't call alot of things as this is usually what happens.

But, I'd argue that you didn't follow through. If I were in your situation I'd add that not only are you just enforcing the rules but that you're obligated to do so by rule. Then if he's still whining I'd be real clear that we're going to get back to playing golf and if he doesn't just start calling courtesy warnings. And if the 1st courtesy warning doesn't work I would skip calling the second one and get the TD to ask that he be disqualified. There's 2 parts to calling rules, the expectation that players enforce the rules and the expectation that offending players accept being called for violations. To me, arguing why someone enforces the rules may be one of the most egregious courtesy violations out there and should be enforced rigidly.
Clue

Postby Like_Water » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Clue wrote:
claring wrote:The moral of the story is this is exactly why people don't call alot of things as this is usually what happens.

But, I'd argue that you didn't follow through. If I were in your situation I'd add that not only are you just enforcing the rules but that you're obligated to do so by rule. Then if he's still whining I'd be real clear that we're going to get back to playing golf and if he doesn't just start calling courtesy warnings. And if the 1st courtesy warning doesn't work I would skip calling the second one and get the TD to ask that he be disqualified. There's 2 parts to calling rules, the expectation that players enforce the rules and the expectation that offending players accept being called for violations. To me, arguing why someone enforces the rules may be one of the most egregious courtesy violations out there and should be enforced rigidly.

And this is a terrible way to spend a day-off in the park. I get it.

Thanks Chris. I played pretty well. Left 3-4 strokes out there both rounds, I'm interested to see how the ratings come out. I'm wondering if we will see the results anytime soon.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Clue » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Discwrangler wrote:And this is a terrible way to spend a day-off in the park. I get it.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. I guess all I'm saying is that if you're in the right there's no reason anyone should be able to make your round miserable. You can enforce the rules and still keep a smile on your face and enjoy the round. If someone is preventing you from doing that then it should be dealt with to the point where it's not an issue.

I'm surprised nobody is discussing the validity of the call. I'm not even sure it's right, but I'd like to hear it explained better so I know.
Clue

Postby Crossied » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Throw: The propulsion of a disc that causes it to change its position from the teeing area or the lie.

Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or Competition Manual 1.5 B (1).

So by those two definitions from the rule book the call would be legit to call the other player on them. As long as the player was throwing from the mark of the disc. That's what I've gotten from the rules, but I would like a confirmation on this as well. Since I'm new to the rule book and sanctioned tournaments.
Crossied

Postby Dale Jordal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm not sure I should chime in as I was not there.... but I have been to several Spam Town Opens in the past.

In past tourneys I know Deb always warned players at the players meeting not to toss your disc at your bag or anywhere on the course as no practice shots are alowed and any toss of a disc during the tourney would all count as strokes. If she made the same speach this year ......
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Return to National Tournaments