St. Louis Open

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby bergdawg » Tue May 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Abe Froman wrote:
bergdawg wrote:
Single L wrote:
bergdawg wrote:People play tournaments for different reasons. You can't say a guy that knows he's going to finish last in the rec division is stoked about what a shootout it will be between him and second to last. The guy that plays "blood and guts" dg is usually the guy no one wants to be on a card with.


Really, I'm pretty sure I can. If a rec player enters a tournament I'm pretty sure the reason was to see where his game is comparatively speaking.

I don't think too many rec players pay money just to hang out with new people; if they want to do that they'd just drive down the road to a different course or town and do that for free.


So, he needs to see how he's doing comparatively every weekend? I'm sure I can go to PDGA.com and look up results and find people who never cash but play weekend after weekend.


Your arguments are shit,

Practice more, play down a level, or don't come if all you want is a players pack.

Ask all the open donators thay pay out the ass every week just to hope they can cash a lil. Most don't every week. They just play harder the next week.

You are the reason most td's don't even do a players pack unless they are required to do so. Too much wasted effort to make somebody happy that will just fimd a way to bitch anyways. Please organize an A tier, and I will come see how well it's ran..


Can your five year old read better than you? Who am I bitching about? What am I bitching about? You say that there shouldn't be a players pack, period. I'm saying I don't care either way, but I can see why people would want them. You don't even know me so say anything about my game, that just makes you look plain ignorant.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Ames

Postby bergdawg » Tue May 10, 2011 12:28 pm

That's their choice, no one is forcing them to sign up for these competitions.

Jeebus it's like talking to a wall around hear ....... I'm done


So, you're in favor of smaller tournaments and less players playing? That's my point, which I've made before. Ur jus nun 2 gud at reeding.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Ames

Postby Single L » Tue May 10, 2011 12:42 pm

bergdawg wrote:
That's their choice, no one is forcing them to sign up for these competitions.

Jeebus it's like talking to a wall around hear ....... I'm done


So, you're in favor of smaller tournaments and less players playing? That's my point, which I've made before. Ur jus nun 2 gud at reeding.


How is me pointing out what is going in the DG world on saying I'm in favor of smaller events?

In fact your wrong on this tangent you've went down. the majority of Iowa tournaments are C-Tiers and have no freebies or goodies; they only offer competition. Almost all of these events have been filling the last 2 years. Man we must be scaring away the players.

Sure tournaments could be even bigger, but to pull that off you have to run evens at multiple courses, have a larger staff, and have something to draw them; which puts you in the A and B tier type of event, which Your tangent is not about. Your tangent is about rec players, which is about lower level "local/growth" driven events.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby bergdawg » Tue May 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Would more players not play because they're pissed money is going to be taken out of their pay-out? or would more players not play because there is no players pack?
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Ames

Postby bergdawg » Tue May 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Single L wrote:
bergdawg wrote:
That's their choice, no one is forcing them to sign up for these competitions.

Jeebus it's like talking to a wall around hear ....... I'm done


So, you're in favor of smaller tournaments and less players playing? That's my point, which I've made before. Ur jus nun 2 gud at reeding.


How is me pointing out what is going in the DG world on saying I'm in favor of smaller events?

In fact your wrong on this tangent you've went down. the majority of Iowa tournaments are C-Tiers and have no freebies or goodies; they only offer competition. Almost all of these events have been filling the last 2 years. Man we must be scaring away the players.

Sure tournaments could be even bigger, but to pull that off you have to run evens at multiple courses, have a larger staff, and have something to draw them; which puts you in the A and B tier type of event, which Your tangent is not about. Your tangent is about rec players, which is about lower level "local/growth" driven events.


I'm talking about AM divisions all together. Just because it's a B-teir doesn't mean there aren't INT's there. I never said anything about any teir, so I don't know where you got that.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Ames

Postby bergdawg » Tue May 10, 2011 12:51 pm

Almost all of these events have been filling the last 2 years. Man we must be scaring away the players.


I haven't lived in Iowa for a year, everywhere isn't as great as it is there.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Ames

Postby Single L » Tue May 10, 2011 12:55 pm

bergdawg wrote:Would more players not play because they're pissed money is going to be taken out of their pay-out? or would more players not play because there is no players pack?


That's a question that has no good answer. Some players are on one side, some are on the other.


An ideal system would probably look like this

Pro/ Open ---> Awards only Cash Payout
Advanced ---> Awards only Merch Payout (you want Cash move up/PP move down)
Int. ---> Small Players pack, Small merch payout (you want larger payout move up/larger PP move down)
Rec. ---> large players pack, no payout (you want a payout move up)

We do not currently paint the picture like this so you have to balance it out. some like it one way some like it the other.
Last edited by Single L on Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby Buzzznation » Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 pm

bergdawg wrote: Iowa, everywhere isn't as great as it is there.


QFT
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation
 
Posts: 5532
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Best city in the nation.

Postby Abe Froman » Tue May 10, 2011 12:58 pm

bergdawg wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:
bergdawg wrote:
Single L wrote:
bergdawg wrote:People play tournaments for different reasons. You can't say a guy that knows he's going to finish last in the rec division is stoked about what a shootout it will be between him and second to last. The guy that plays "blood and guts" dg is usually the guy no one wants to be on a card with.


Really, I'm pretty sure I can. If a rec player enters a tournament I'm pretty sure the reason was to see where his game is comparatively speaking.

I don't think too many rec players pay money just to hang out with new people; if they want to do that they'd just drive down the road to a different course or town and do that for free.


So, he needs to see how he's doing comparatively every weekend? I'm sure I can go to PDGA.com and look up results and find people who never cash but play weekend after weekend.


Your arguments are shit,

Practice more, play down a level, or don't come if all you want is a players pack.

Ask all the open donators thay pay out the ass every week just to hope they can cash a lil. Most don't every week. They just play harder the next week.

You are the reason most td's don't even do a players pack unless they are required to do so. Too much wasted effort to make somebody happy that will just fimd a way to bitch anyways. Please organize an A tier, and I will come see how well it's ran..


Can your five year old read better than you? Who am I bitching about? What am I bitching about? You say that there shouldn't be a players pack, period. I'm saying I don't care either way, but I can see why people would want them. You don't even know me so say anything about my game, that just makes you look plain ignorant.


we're not sure wtf your point is. only that you gauge your choice of events on a players pak that you will ultimately complain about

tournies are for competition. you are the noly other person that does not agree with that.

that just makes you look ignorant
User avatar
Abe Froman
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:42 am
Location: legion park is my backyard

Postby Single L » Tue May 10, 2011 1:00 pm

bergdawg wrote:
Single L wrote:How is me pointing out what is going in the DG world on saying I'm in favor of smaller events?

In fact your wrong on this tangent you've went down. the majority of Iowa tournaments are C-Tiers and have no freebies or goodies; they only offer competition. Almost all of these events have been filling the last 2 years. Man we must be scaring away the players.

Sure tournaments could be even bigger, but to pull that off you have to run evens at multiple courses, have a larger staff, and have something to draw them; which puts you in the A and B tier type of event, which Your tangent is not about. Your tangent is about rec players, which is about lower level "local/growth" driven events.


I'm talking about AM divisions all together. Just because it's a B-teir doesn't mean there aren't INT's there. I never said anything about any teir, so I don't know where you got that.


But you have to look at it that way as not all tiers have the same criteria or are geared towards the same audience. You have to look at them like apples and oranges. You can't lump them together.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
User avatar
Single L
 
Posts: 5981
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Bushwhacking in DSM

Postby Abe Froman » Tue May 10, 2011 1:07 pm

bergdawg wrote:I'm saying I don't care either way, but I can see why people would want them.


you definitely care, and had an opinion about that too. im not just going get into this for no reason. you were the one that said..

bergdawg wrote:They probably want something for the money they spent on the entry fee, gas, food and other expenses, not just showing up.


bergdawg wrote:Fact of the matter is some people aren't good enough to ever cash. Would you want to keep dumping money into something and never see anything from it? It's just keeping the lower half of the divisions from playing tournaments. That competition and comradery you speak of can be found at a local league for 5 dollars.


bergdawg wrote:If what you worry about is competition, then YOU'VE lost the point of disc golf.




and this is my favorite!
bergdawg wrote:
Um, that's what the literal definition of a tournament is, genius. Competiton amongst your peirs to determine.a winner. Not "what cool stuff can I get for free since I won't place" again, if all u care about is your free crap then stay home. Many people work very hard to YOU can have a good time. Not so u can bitch about ur INT entry fee and players pak. Move down ore don't come. You have no argument,

You get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

This is what I tell my 5yr old. And she even understands the concept. GROW UP


First of all, no idea how peirs are suppose to compete. You remind me of the dude off Caddyshack, "you'll get nothing and like it!" If you don't want the people who don't ever cash to get anything, they won't play. You think disc golf is in a position to start turning players away because they suck? Look at the bigger picture and quit being an elitist douchbag. If you want the kind of competition that you need so bad, play Open. Lastly, I told you I don't care about players packs, but I can see why some people do. So, quit saying that that's all I care about, and I don't play int.


sorry i typed peers wrong from my phone, captain spellcheck

i have never, ever turned anybody away. ever i play rec rounds with random newbs all the time to try and promote the sport.

you are funny. i am far from elitist. i just hate stupid fvcking people. you have no point to anything you said.

player packs are great for those that do not continually win. i'm all for it. its when they bitch about it is when i get pissed.

so what is your point really??????????????
Last edited by Abe Froman on Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Abe Froman
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:42 am
Location: legion park is my backyard

Postby bergdawg » Tue May 10, 2011 1:08 pm

we're not sure wtf your point is. only that you gauge your choice of events on a players pak that you will ultimately complain about


Holy Chucking facepalm Batman.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Ames

Postby Discgo » Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Nohr wrote:I play tournaments to dominate Intermediate

Ftfy :D
Discgo
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:30 am
Location: behind the basket

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Discgo wrote:
Nohr wrote:I play tournaments to dominate Intermediate

Ftfy :D


somebody had to pick up where Train left off.... :lol:
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8553
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Postby Nohr » Tue May 10, 2011 3:52 pm

I play b/c I have fun. I like free stuff but ultimately having braggin rights over your friends (and enemies) is what we should all be playing for. If you are looking to make money disc golf is not the sport to be in.
Nohr
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron