St. Louis Open

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

St. Louis Open

Postby Harmon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:56 pm

anyone going to this?

I might not go to Stevens Point for S rocks open ... just lost a person who was to go ... and then the weather is looking so crappy up that way ... I thought maybe I would just change directions and head south to st louwie ... if possible?... looks like plenty of room left for the tourney ??
Where there is Love there is Hope (Widespread Panic)
Harmon

Postby Harmon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Maybe this has been posted already ....

http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/wp-conte ... s-Open.jpg
Harmon

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:21 pm

sack punches if you and Jeff both bail... :lol: .
GDL17921

Postby Harmon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:03 pm

never mind ... I will be attending standing rocks .... not st louie ... :D

:lol: :lol:
Harmon

Postby Harmon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:03 pm

no sack punches necessary :shock: we are going :D
Harmon

Postby Chase20460 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 am

Congrats to Team Iron Lion for your excellent performances! Way to represent!
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby TreeLoveInman » Sat May 07, 2011 1:33 am

Not to be a buzz kill, Heard Ben only walked out with 100 funny money. Guess he got a dope trophy..But damn, all that work and ya get 100 bucks...Cya next year...Not. imo
Team Iron Lion
TreeLoveInman

Postby Single L » Mon May 09, 2011 9:20 am

TreeLoveInman wrote:Not to be a buzz kill, Heard Ben only walked out with 100 funny money. Guess he got a dope trophy..But damn, all that work and ya get 100 bucks...Cya next year...Not. imo

Inconstancy and poor value in players packs and awards is what will keep people from going back to STL year after year; a solid players party, and nice courses only do so much.

The quality of Am value and payout was my big knock on the STL when I went last year. The players packs were lame. First they tell you you have to sign-up almost a month ahead of time to be guaranteed a players pack (PDGA tour standards state that ALL AM's are to receive a Players pack with a $25 retail value). So ignoring that flaw, of those that register only the first 50 or so were guaranteed "premium" players packs. From what I heard premium player's packs were a Dry-Fit shirt, and 2 or 3 premium discs, one from Gateway and one from Innova and/or Discraft. It also included a food and drink ticket to the players party, a key-chain bottle opener from Schlafly, and some miscellaneous coupons from local businesses (worthless for the out of towner). Not a bad package.

Well I signed up 2 weeks before the event and my players pack included the Food and drink coupon, bottle opener, coupons, a size Medium T-shirt, and a super stiff 162 Wizard. I was told I got one of the last Players Pack's (nevermind the fact that ALL Am's are to receive one) and on top of that it was a big f'ing stretch to reach the $25 retail value. I had to haggle and almost give my left nut for the staff to find me a shirt of the appropriate size, which I was basically lambasted for. So sure value wise to them it was $25 but for me I (initially) had a shirt that was unwearable, a disc that is unthrowable, and some coupons that I will never use; the only usable items I got were a bottle opener and free food and drink at the players party ....... Nice value fellas :roll:

At the awards for the Ams they had pre-packaged prize packs. Nothing more lame than not getting to pick out your own merch. Again just more sh!t that has no value because you will never use it.

Sure they are doing nothing wrong as they are probably meeting every PDGA requirement, but days of only meeting the PDGA minimums are long gone if you want to have a good reputation and keep people coming back year after year. Looks like nothing has changed :evil:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby The Donator » Mon May 09, 2011 10:17 am

Wonder if thats why the Michiana Open A-tier folded. It used to be a great tournament, and the only reason I went to it in 2006 was because they guaranteed a brand new Mach 3 to the Adv winner. I ended up with barely $100 in funny money. :evil:
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby GDL17921 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:25 pm

yeah that's lame as hell Philips. Almost as lame as Fausch getting 4th at SRO in a 61 person advanced field and getting $39. Player pack was 2 discs.

Will tournaments competing ever end am scams? These are two of the worst examples I've seen since Bowling Green.
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Mon May 09, 2011 3:03 pm

GDL17921 wrote:Will tournaments competing ever end am scams? These are two of the worst examples I've seen since Bowling Green.

Two Fold Problem:
  1. Lots of TD's are too lazy to raise money and just rob Peter (Am's) to pay Paul (Pro's)
  2. AM's are not really AM's, in the purest sense, and demand/expect way too much.
    (I'm on board with the notion that AM events should be low dough, players pack, and trophy only)
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:03 pm

That's horrible Jay. I don't know how the Pro cash is since I've never cashed... :( But if it is something like that I won't go back.
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby GDL17921 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:39 pm

actually I thought the pro payouts were pretty good Mark. Noticed that they posted them way early, and didn't even ever post any am payouts.
GDL17921

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks Jay. Well, then I look forward to cashing at some point in the future... I hope. :lol:
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby Conrad 37988 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 pm

I think St Louis learned a lesson after last year. This year they wanted you to sign up within 3 weeks of the tournament so you would get a t shirt in your size.

The 2011 players pack I got had
172 Star Wraith
171 Avenger SS ESP
175 SS Wizzard
Cotton T-shirt
Mini
Bottle Opener
Small Clipboard
5 Stickers (Innova, Discraft, Gateway, St Louis Open sticker, and a St Louis Club Sticker)

Players packs where not shabby by any means this year, and unfortuntley I believe they lead to the poor payout.
Conrad 37988

Next

Return to National Tournaments