Worlds 2011

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Detra319 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:54 pm

AO wrote:Adam..to say I am bitching is pretty bold, coming from someone who had to defend himself multiple times about comments made about local events. This would have been my 5th year going to Worlds I didn't think about paying attention to if it was going to fill. It's 3 months away and has never filled. Then 2 days ago I got an email from Discraft saying Worlds was full. My fault? Most definately. But at the same time in the last 7 years I've been good about getting my entry in early, mostly big events, and not dicking around. I'm disappointed I won't be playing in Worlds and the USDGC in the same year.

So far this season has been tough and it's been hard to get into a consistent schedule and routine. It would be nice if things started working out.

Lol I was saying you had the right to bitch if you want, I actually agree with you.

Its very frustrating when worlds fills, but other NT's draw 60 pros. I know thats not quite on the same level, but still.

And...the idiots dont get invited to the Masters. Or any other PGA event, as they have to earn their tour card to even participate, and even then they have events with even tighter restrictions to enter...
Detra319

Postby AO » Thu May 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Sorry. I misread your post. It's all good.
AO

Postby Nohr » Thu May 19, 2011 1:10 pm

I can't wrap my head around the idea that the defending champ wasn't saved a spot. I also can't wrap my head around players with worse ratings than mine playing in pro worlds. (907 rated fyi).
Nohr

Postby SARG27044 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Nohr wrote:I can't wrap my head around the idea that the defending champ wasn't saved a spot. I also can't wrap my head around players with worse ratings than mine playing in pro worlds. (907 rated fyi).
Probably a local? Some people just want a chance to play in a World championship. I know I prolly wouldnt have the time or money to travel all the way across the country for a tourny. I do agree the defending champ should be in if he wants. Im not mad this happened, just surprised it filled so fast, and so are a few of the pros im sure.
SARG27044

Postby Chase20460 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:21 pm

Well, with a 100k purse, its really hard for me to understand how intermediate level players are playing this, and are getting spots ahead of the pro field.

....But, considering that this game needs donators dont expect changes anytime soon.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Single L » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 pm

GDL17921 wrote:Weren't the dates posted when it would be open to John Q. Public? Since they were, how is it the PDGA's fault some took initiative over others? Are there any rules that grant auto bids to the worlds based on past performances? I agree it sucks, but don't let assumed entitlement form your opinion of an organization that is just taking registrations, they can't control how or when they come in.

This ^^^^ is directly related to This vvvv

SpikeHyzer wrote:This might be a little short sighted, but my personal view on this, is that the PDGA needs to institute a minimum player rating to be able to play in the open division at a Pro Worlds. And if you are a "pro" that is rated below said minimum rating...tough shit...get better. To relate to golf, pretty sure some hack can't just walk into the Master's or British Open and play.

I think in their heart of hearts the PDGA would like to institute a ratings cap however they also realize that the event may not fill, which can hurt both the payout/funds available and the perception of the events being the biggest and the best. Sure there's enough pro's over a certain rating to fill a pro worlds, but the problem is that not everyone of these players play worlds and for the most part Worlds (Am or Pro) is a local/regional draw ..... so you have to open it up to "hacks" if you want it to fill. Would you rather see a very small field of the elite DGers or a full field? I don't have the answer, but like was stated before this comes down to a flawed tournament model which is for a different discussion.

In Golf you can institute a ratings cap because you have a relatively large field of players that are elite to fill your events; 286 Players on the tour to be exact (as of today per PGA.com). The typical event size is 132, 144, or 156 which means that at any given event you have between 54% and 45% of the touring pros not getting in or not participating.

See the issue??? We don't have a large base of touring pro's (or any real base for that matter), so we supplement events with local or regional "Talent". Until we have 200+ touring pro's this issue will remain (see flawed tournament model discussion).
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Chase20460 wrote:Well, with a 100k purse, its really hard for me to understand

how every pro that thought they had a chance at cashing didn't get their money out of their pockets fast enough.
GDL17921

Postby cedarcreekdiscgolf » Thu May 19, 2011 4:31 pm

I know that most of this is a discussion about the overall system in place for Worlds registration... but it seems like a good time and spot to mention the following...

if anyone on here WANTED to go to Worlds but couldn't get in (or couldn't afford the trip) you are in luck. There is a fantastic A-tier event right across the MN-IA border that same weekend. The Cedar Creek Open, August 13-14 in Fairmont, MN. Lots of added cash, tons of added prizes, and fantastic player amenities (free water on the course, food on sight, side games, etc.)

It was a great time last year, with several IA players doing very well. I hope they will all testify to a great experience, a well run tournament, and great payouts. It should be even better this year. Looking at the Worlds registration list it looks as if almost no one from the Midwest got in, so hopefully most of the MN, IA, WI pros make their way to Cedar Creek.

www.cedarcreekdiscgolf.com for information and registration
cedarcreekdiscgolf

Postby SARG27044 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:16 am

Sounds like EMAC got in...Somebody pull out?
SARG27044

Postby cgkdisc » Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 am

I talked with Gentry yesterday and Emac was always in but they had some trouble getting the waitlist and registration counts sorted out. It's okay now. This is the first time they've needed a waitlist for quite a few years so the software to handle it wasn't completely ready to go.

We've discussed minimum ratings for entering Pro World divisions in the Competition Committee. However, the number for Open would probably have been set at 900 which wouldn't exclude hardly anyone currently registered. With many International players who mostly play Open in their countries having ratings not much over 900, the rating minimums would start pretty low whenever they decide to do it.
cgkdisc

Previous

Return to National Tournaments