USDGC 2011

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby irban » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 am

They do this in the NFL; the system is just more refined. Salary caps, draft rules, revenue sharing, etc. are all just handicapping. I haven't paid much attention to this, but it sounds like they just need to refine their system. Handicaps are hard to implement, but as Clue said, I think there is a place for these types of events.

Haters gonna hate, regardless what system they choose to be honest.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Discgo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 am

Like_Water wrote:Steve, can you give us a report on your trip? I need to hear some positive things about this!

This trip went better than I had expected. My wife and I enjoyed our week in Rock Hill and the travels in between. My favorite experience of the 2011 USDGC had to be the clinics they put on after the rounds. It was a great experience to be able to learn and ask questions to some world champion disc golfers. I didn't expect them to give that much of their time and the clinics usually ran late. The Pros came together to help each other out on the clinics and spent the extra time answering all of our questions even after the sun went down.

The players party was a fun time as well. A trailer with four taps and good beer on board was setup in the parking lot and Kan Jam was in play until early morning. The putting contest was made even better by a flaming basket that could have launched a hot air baloon and the caliber of the players that were competing was insane.

Winthrop Gold was tougher than what I had imagined and getting to play it was worth the whole trip. I found parts of my game that need more work than I can imagine and trying to bite off more than you can chew does not work out there. The course pulled out every shot I could fit in my bag and had my complete attention from the first hole till the last. I had read the caddys book from last year and that still didn't prepare me for the way this course played. I now know what needs work if I ever want to make it back there and I plan on fixing those shortcomings.

The highlight of my week on the course had to be hole #14. I dueced this 431' down hill shot every day of the tournament and it brought my mood back around every time right after the dreaded hole #13 (888). After duecing it three days in a row I put alot of pressure on myself on day four to make the duece. Once it left my hand with the perfect flight and landed right where I wanted it to I was thrilled. I know its a small victory in an overall horrendous round but I owned that shot.

Overall it was a humbling experience and something I won't soon forget. I made some new friends and had some great times and I took home more than I brought with me (minus two discs). If anyone comes across this oppurtunity like the one given to me I would highly recommend they take it. I understand it was not the same USDGC as in years past and I think to call it the same is a discredit to the past winners. I would rather have seen it be a completely different tournament ran with the same exact format and a different name. It was a new way for me to play and was nice being on the same card as people of all skill levels. Not sure what the future will hold for this format but I am sure we will see.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby grodney » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:52 am

Discgo wrote:The highlight of my week on the course had to be hole #14. I dueced this 431' down hill shot every day of the tournament.

Having played this hole for 10 years, including last Monday, I will give this a "wow".
grodney

Postby Clue » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:59 am

grodney wrote:
Discgo wrote:The highlight of my week on the course had to be hole #14. I dueced this 431' down hill shot every day of the tournament.

Having played this hole for 10 years, including last Monday, I will give this a "wow".

Yeah, no doubt. I'm not sure I could deuce that 4 times in a row with no OB.

Steve, glad you enjoyed it. There's been many controversies there over the years and I always say you don't understand until you get there. The play alone is worth the price. It's a disc golf experience unlike any other.
Clue

Postby Like_Water » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:44 pm

grodney wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only deuce Ive ever had on that hole was my first year when it played much easier, and it was an accident. Tough hole, always thought about it as a "dead" hole that I like to par a move on.

Nice shots! Thanks Steve.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Thats awesome Steve
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Dana » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Like_Water wrote:
grodney wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only deuce Ive ever had on that hole was my first year when it played much easier, and it was an accident. Tough hole, always thought about it as a "dead" hole that I like to par a move on.

That is just plain filthy to 2 that hole 4 times, seriously.

Me and MDR might just have qualified for the real deal next year, Harold said it was looking like they were going to take the top 10..
Dana

Postby Like_Water » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Dana wrote:
Like_Water wrote:
grodney wrote:

That is just plain filthy to 2 that hole 4 times, seriously.

Me and MDR might just have qualified for the real deal next year, Harold said it was looking like they were going to take the top 10..

Nice! Congrats fellas.
Like_Water

Postby Dana » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:15 pm

If you can stomach it, watch the latest Clash dvd thats on the front page of pdga.com

It shows the "lead card" playing hole 9 during the final round.

PS- Your rating may drop a few points from watching this video.
Dana

Postby grodney » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:09 pm

I don't mean to make fun, but that's unwatchable.

Not just the level of play, but the tournament pace of play. Oh my god. After the first guy threw his layup (horribly), it was a full 76 seconds before the next guy threw (also a short little layup!). What the hell were they doing? I had the sound off, so maybe there was a "distraction"? I don't know. Then there was 40 seconds before the next guy threw, some of which he spent going up and taking a peek where he wanted to lay up to.

Once that dude sponched his attempted layup almost over the baseball field wall, I went and drank sour milk while licking my dog's ear.

If I catch ANY of you guys doing that "step to the front of the tee pad while swinging the arm in the throwing motion while envisioning the shot" thing, I will personally kick you in the throat. I don't know how you all stand each other.
grodney

Postby grodney » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Oh my god, the CSM just took 84 seconds to throw his next shot -- the last 39 of which were spent fully in his throwing stance at his disc!
grodney

Postby Ferch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:00 pm

grodney wrote:If I catch ANY of you guys doing that "step to the front of the tee pad while swinging the arm in the throwing motion while envisioning the shot" thing, I will personally kick you in the throat. I don't know how you all stand each other.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Postby Clue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:10 pm

grodney wrote:If I catch ANY of you guys doing that "step to the front of the tee pad while swinging the arm in the throwing motion while envisioning the shot" thing, I will personally kick you in the throat. I don't know how you all stand each other.

I'm torn on this. I can't stand teeing off behind players with routines like this. If I ever have to play with Blake Needles I will stab myself with an ice pick. However, I think there's some merit to having a routine if for nothing else to help focus. I often am too quick on the tee and need to slow down. But, AO has been pretty funny talking about some of his ready, setFausch rounds. If I remember right he did it at Worlds or USDGC and said he though he annoyed some of his opponents by playing too fast!

Fausch made 10 birdies in a row by not taking 2 seconds to putt on Sun afternoon, however the one he needed the most missed 2ft high and he almost missed the 12 footer coming back. So who knows. I'm just gonna go Kevin Na from now on.
Clue

Postby discgolfduval » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Clue wrote:Fausch made 10 birdies in a row by not taking 2 seconds to putt on Sun afternoon

For the record, it was 11 in a row. :wink:
discgolfduval

Postby Like_Water » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Wow. I've taken my sweet time on that upshot, it's one of the toughest out there, if you're going for the green! 22 foot putt into the ground...wow.
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments