2011 Tournament Schedule (Outside of Iowa)

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:03 pm

IHearChains wrote:Wow, the TD at Emporia must hand out a lot of free beer or something, to be getting all these props here. Because the course itself seems really average to me, actually kinda boring compared to a lot of Iowa courses.

You'd be amazed how a DD tournament is ran....but that's only because you never see it. It's HOW a tournament should be run.

And if you are looking for equal or better courses than what we have here, you'd be better off not leaving the state.

:lol:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Nope, just free hand jobs :wink: Peter Pan is another course they use. I really like that one. Some real cool holes there. Its more about the atmosphere for me. The other 2, Ill agree, dont compare to Iowa. But its nice to get in some different courses every once in awhile. If you havent been to BG, I would tell you to save up and go, and stay away from the strip club at 2am the night before the tournament :wink: Its fun, I wont lie. But once was enough for me.
SARG27044

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Another tourny I wont/ dont wanna miss, is Mid America. Iowans cleaned that place out last year, and some of us plan on doing it again.
SARG27044

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:43 pm

SARG27044 wrote:Another tourny I wont/ dont wanna miss, is Mid America. Iowans cleaned that place out last year, and some of us plan on doing it again.

if you don't believe him, check out how many times I've been to MAO in the last 10 years. It's one of the best July tournaments in the Midwest.
GDL17921

Postby IHearChains » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Discwrangler wrote:And if you are looking for equal or better courses than what we have here, you'd be better off not leaving the state.

At least not to go to Kansas, anyway. I have found a few other out of state courses that are among my favorites, and maybe that makes me a bit overly optimistic about finding some more gems.
IHearChains

Postby gpdigity » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:08 pm

GDL17921 wrote:
gpdigity wrote:Amateur Championships at Bowling Green Am A Bowling Green, KY Fri-Sun, Apr 1-3, 2011

dude, that was like, soooo 2006. :lol:

Emporia is closer and better run.....think about it....

was thinking about BG on the 1st weekend and then i could chill in cr the rest of april untill lamoni rolled around

April 10 - Shaver Showdown (Cedar Rapids, IA)
April 16 - Hiawatha (Hiawatha, IA)
April 17 - Wildcat Singles/Doubles TBD (Urbana, IA
April 23 - J&B Doubles (Lamoni, IA)
April 24 - Graceland Open (Lamoni, IA)

to hard to go to GBO with hiawatha AND wildcat tourneys taking place here in my back yard.

i wont miss the mid america open thats for sure
gpdigity

Postby Clue » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm not big on Jones either, but I do like Peter Pan. The Memorial is much the same way. Vista Del Camino and Fountain Hills have many flaws, but it's more about the atmosphere, the tournament, and the players rather than the courses. DD does run a great tournament. The GBO has a vibe about it like LOD. Legion is hardly a championship course, but it's really fun and the atmosphere is second to none.
Clue

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:21 am

yep, great comparison Clue. Funny how the events with the best atmospheres are the ones that have a park with two courses........hint ewing...... :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:55 am

I'll agree with both parties on this one. While I really enjoyed my GBO experience last year I'm not sure if it warrants a yearly repeat visit due to the distance for that quality of courses played. I'm not sure there's an exact equation for fun factor + Quality of event + Quality of courses + distance traveled + cost for trip, but if there was IMO I think GBO misses the yearly repeat visit mark purely on the quality of courses ..... maybe its an every other year event for this guy.

I really like Clues LOD comparison, and would mostly agree its the atmosphere that keeps you coming back, however IMO Legion and Krumboltz have a lot more memorable holes and course fun factor that Greg pointed out is missing at GBO.

And I do agree that not having to leave the park is a huge perk (however at GBO you have to travel to Peter Pan J/S :wink: ) .... it does add that little something to the event. With that said I'd much rather have to travel between Walnut / Big Creek, Pickard / Ewing, West Lake / Middle, Water Works / Blue Valley, etc than have an event on 2 average courses ..... Jones (Emporia), Cedar Creek (Fairmont), ets. ~ Caveat ..... both those listed have TD's that run superior events (TD's can make a course look good and Courses can make a TD look Good).

Too often I've seen where less is done with more as far as 2 courses in one park goes. I love the idea of having 2 courses at Ewing, but I really dislike that people give mad props to a park just because it has 2 courses. The course need to earn there props ........ Jones IMO does not, and that's not just because I played poorly :oops:

I had a rough morning and this looked like a good place to get the bad vibes out :lol: .......... Merry Christmas Everyone 8)
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:23 pm

no doubt about it, Jones ain't no Walnut/Big creek combo, but I think the courses are interesting enough, especially in the tournament settings.

There's lots of OB - plenty of water in play, 10 meter circles painted, string around the tall grass OB's. Lots of prep work goes into that park - and I love seeing courses well prepared for tournaments.

People play events for lots of different reasons. I think I'd rank course quality at less than half of the decision I make to attend an event. Basically all that means is I'm not going to NOT go back because a course wasn't my favorite in lieu of it being a great event! Sure, great courses do have that draw, and I'm of the opinion that WE (Des Moines) rest on those laurels (but that's another arguement) but if there's other factors, like an event that's proven to be well run, proven to have good payouts, proven to award kick ass and highly coveted trophies, then I'm down for the competition, even if it's at Crivaro. That being said, I'll make a concession for it being at Crivaro because I don't have to travel, and some might not do that. But Jones isn't a Crivaro, and I'm willing to travel to GBO for several reasons.....course quality is below most of them.
1. One of the most professionally run events I've ever been to.
2. Springtime - most of us winter sufferers are looking for something like this in April, and it's WAAAAAY closer than Bowling Green. Bowling Green was/is this event for lots of people, I think some midwesterners are finding that this event is just better.
3. Side events - Dynamic Discs does more to keep travelling players busy that compares to stuff you see at Worlds. Putting contests, awesome player's party, the double down side game during play was super dope.
4. Atmosphere - great mix of midwesterners. You get the extended KC crowd, OKies, Texans, and even some from Colorado make the trip over. The Iowa contingency has been growing, look for us to contend for largest state representation outside KS.
5. Courses - I do like the courses. I think they present fair challenges in several areas. The addition of Peter Pan puts finesse and putting at a premium, where long throwers can utilize their D to their advantage in several risk/reward situations at Jones. There's lots of big, wide cedar trees, so placement of these shots can tend to be underrated.
6. Let's not forget that at the highest level this game usually boils down to a putting contest.
GDL17921

Postby Clue » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:09 pm

LOD might not have been the best example as I love those courses, but I'm glad the point was well received.
Clue

Postby Like_Water » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:11 pm

I've never met a disc golf hole I didn't like. Factor that into your equation. :lol:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Whats this double-down side game you speak of - will be making the trek there next year
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:42 pm

OK....There was a hole that was a deuce or die hole with OB road right behind the basket, couple trees right next to the basket, and a big ass cedar just left of the basket so if you missed left good luck to ya.

Basically the game worked like this. There was a 30 foot circle painted around the basket except where it couldn't be painted (in the OB behind and in the cedar jailhouse). You could wager any amount (I think) you wanted that you would land in the circle, but not in the cedar. If you made the shot successfully, you instantly received a DD voucher for double your wager. If you whiffed, you got a voucher for half you wager. I threw down $10, made the shot, and used the $20 voucher to snag up one of those sweet glass minis he had a whole table full of. We'll see how it worked out I guess by whether or not he runs it again, or if the shot gets harder, lol...
GDL17921

Postby crazykrug » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:56 pm

I told the wife that I would like to go to GBO in 2011 so who as of right now is all planning on going?
Member of 2010, 2012, 2013 Bushwhacker State Champions
crazykrug

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments