Global Disc Golf Championships (GDGC)

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 pm

cgkdisc wrote:Even if most of the player pack items are donated free (which is unlikely for the nicer items), there are shipping costs that need to be covered along with some admin cost for coordinating it.

Yeah, that's why I wouldn't even mess with it. Spring for a travelling Global Trophy for the Am winner along with worldwide recognition and everlasting fame, and be done with it. The bonus is removing all the bitching and moaning about payout and vendors and cash-grabbing and whatnot.

Go totally green and use paypal to pay the pro winners, wherever possible.

By the way, I kinda like the logo. Who did it?
grodney

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Player packs are required for B-tiers so it just made sense to coordinate it globally rather than locally and it's one less thing for TDs to mess with.

I did that logo starting with Microsoft clip art as the base picture and got the idea to blend the basket into those world lat/lon lines and add discs to the hands. Dorn is going to work on one that will actually be used for the hotstamp but I needed something temporary for the story graphic.
cgkdisc

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I woulda just left the player pack at the local level. I guess my first year of GDGT would have been a small side-show to a bunch of local events, crowing a for-pride Am winner and a bonus Global pool for the pros.

Then go from there.

You guys are taking on a lot, as I'm sure you're aware. Good luck.
grodney

Postby Beerman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:27 pm

cgkdisc wrote:
That, of course, would mean no money (or very little money) going to the global event from the Ams. I could see maybe $5/head to get the Global Am winner a trophy and to help cover admin costs, but that's about it. If the Global side wanted to provide an Am player pack out of sponsor donations, fine, but totally unnecessary.

That's pretty much how it's going to shake out. If I could reduce merch payouts on the global level, it would be much easier especially when dealing with International payouts. That's why most of the Am global pay-in goes towards funding the player packs. Even if most of the player pack items are donated free (which is unlikely for the nicer items), there are shipping costs that need to be covered along with some admin cost for coordinating it.

Are you stating that for the $15 global payout, we are getting an $8 disc and $5 goes towards the actual global payout and the other 2 dollars goes to shipping and admin fees.
Beerman

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm stating that the $15 from each Am goes toward the global payout which will include a nice player pack that will at minimum include one inaugural tournament disc. With the potential for more than a thousand players participating, the player pack should be even better and the global payout for Ams better than expected. But we haven't even started talking to potential sponsors yet and what services we can provide for their contributions. Potential sponsors will be holding back and seeing how many TDs will be signing on to host events. So that's the emphasis right now, getting these events on schedules for 2011 that are in the process of being prepared around the country and world.
cgkdisc

Previous

Return to National Tournaments