Global Disc Golf Championships (GDGC)

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Clue » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:27 pm

BTW, a funny scenario could be getting a lot of people to start at Ewing, and then if they don't play well on Saturday drop out and head to Geneseo on Sunday (Assuming that's where it's at?!?).
Clue

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:20 pm

With Dodge involved, I'm hoping to get something worked out with Vibram for the event, especially since they have International reach.
cgkdisc

Postby Nohr » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:19 am

Chuck how likely/dislikely do you think the highest rated rounds will not be the lowest scoring rounds in the division?

Does that make sense? I am sure the lowest round in a division will be a very good rating but it doesn't guarantee a win. Just wondering what your thoughts on this is.
Nohr

Postby cgkdisc » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:52 pm

I expect we'll have courses involved with SSAs covering the range from 48-54. Let's say there's a 1000 rated player at each one of these courses. The guy at the 48 SSA course might average three 48s and the guy at the 54 SSA course might average three 54s. So it's possible players could be 18 shots apart in actual score but be tied with 3000 points (3 x 1000 rated rounds).

So, I'd say the odds are pretty good that in roughly half the global divisions, the winner will have a higher actual score than second place. The odds are equal. Whoever shoots better relative to their course will win. Not sure if there's any strategy other than playing as well as you can on a course you know.
cgkdisc

Postby Beerman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Clue wrote: (like getting a bigger chainsaw so I can win an argument with Dave Beery).

Your gonna need more than a bigger chainsaw.
Beerman

Postby Clue » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:04 pm

I already have gas and oil.
Clue

Postby Beerman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Clue wrote:I already have gas and oil.

Now all you need is a Clue :wink:
Beerman

Postby Pittman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:41 am

If the DM open is going to participate in this, will there be an option to play or not play the global event?

Also, justin brings up an interesting question. If you play in two tournaments in that weekend, do you get to take the better of your two days?
Pittman

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:01 am

No option to opt out of global portion. Not likely it will be possible to play in two events unless there are 3 rounders on Saturday and Sunday nearby. I can't see anyone wanting to host a 3 rounder on a Sunday and we would probably discourage that format. The answer is No regardless.
cgkdisc

Postby Beerman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 am

Chuck, will the TD's be allowed to except cash/mail-in registrations for this event or is Online registration the only option available to participants?
Beerman

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 am

One way or the other, the player registration eventually needs to be processed thru PDGA Sign-up by the Tuesday deadline before the event. If the player gives the TD the money, the TD could use their own credit card to register that player in the online system if they are willing to do that. That will be the way some of the European and Japanese registrations will work. Players will pay the TD and the TD will enter their registrations that way.

During 2011, PDGA Sign-up will be directly connected to the event display for all events so that when a player registers, their name will be instantly updated in the event pre-registered list. No more sending the TD the list of players who have registered online for the TD to upload to their event. For this global event, the TD won't have to upload event registrations at all. They sit back and watch their event fill from the automaterd online registrations unless they decide to help out some local players get registered because they don't know how, don't have internet access or don't have a credit card to use PDGA Sign-up online.
cgkdisc

Postby Beerman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:54 am

Can you mail the PDGA the entry to avoid the $2.50 processing charge?
Beerman

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 pm

When I first heard about this, I knew there would be ratings backlash, but I never imagined the payout/vendor backlash. Mostly because I didn't even think of it. Like Clue pointed out, payout is payout and the whole system is broken anyway, which has been discussed 1000 times over.

Anyway, if I were doing it, I would have done global cash payout for pros, and no global payout at all for Ams. The Am side would be bragging rights only. That, of course, would mean no money (or very little money) going to the global event from the Ams. I could see maybe $5/head to get the Global Am winner a trophy and to help cover admin costs, but that's about it. If the Global side wanted to provide an Am player pack out of sponsor donations, fine, but totally unnecessary.

Whaddyall think of that?
grodney

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Can you mail the PDGA the entry to avoid the $2.50 processing charge?

No. From a practical standpoint, you get on the slippery slope of judging when entry fees were postmarked or arrived when there's a pre-reg deadline and events are filling. Who gets in and do you have to wait for the mail? We're trying to make life a little easier for the TDs by removing one of their hassles in running events - handling registrations and having to do it until the event starts including walk-ups. TDs are always pressured by players for last minute exceptions and it's hard for them to say no. With this format, the TD isn't put in that position to be the bad guy. The only money they'll have to handle is what they get back from PDGA Sign-up and from sponsors for their local payouts.
cgkdisc

Postby cgkdisc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:34 pm

That, of course, would mean no money (or very little money) going to the global event from the Ams. I could see maybe $5/head to get the Global Am winner a trophy and to help cover admin costs, but that's about it. If the Global side wanted to provide an Am player pack out of sponsor donations, fine, but totally unnecessary.

That's pretty much how it's going to shake out. If I could reduce merch payouts on the global level, it would be much easier especially when dealing with International payouts. That's why most of the Am global pay-in goes towards funding the player packs. Even if most of the player pack items are donated free (which is unlikely for the nicer items), there are shipping costs that need to be covered along with some admin cost for coordinating it.
cgkdisc

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments