Global Disc Golf Championships (GDGC)

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 am

cgkdisc wrote:I see clubs and TDs as pretty much the same in terms of benefits. There's definitely less work involved for the club with fewer courses to prep, simpler course layouts, player meetings and less printing.

From a local vendor standpoint, the same number or maybe more players will attend the event due to interest in the global format. The vandors and clubs can be part of a bigger deal which might get more local media coverage as part of a global event. We might consider wider exposure on the PDGA event pages either directly or via photos and stories provided by the TDs. We are looking into maybe including the local vendors in distributing the global merch prizes if TDs are satisifed their local vendor can handle it. But the details have to be developed on how this would work.

What local vendors ? The ones that buy in and support the event? Good choice Chuck, considering more and more tourneys are being run by business and thats pretty much who will be footing the bill for your mandatory $500 purse. The details? Briner doesnt bank off it so I find it hard to believe it will work. You do have the mando pre-reg though, to be set up through the PDGA Im sure. Lol.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Like_Water » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:54 am

cgkdisc wrote:You can't cheat the system since the scores posted produce the ratings. No course history is ever involved in the numbers. The SSA is dynamically calculated each round and has to average between 48-54 to remain in the global standings. Of course, the TD could post fake scores but then that would screw players who are also competing for local prizes.

So the TD will need to know if they stayed in range, after the tournament is over and before payout is calculated?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:04 pm

So the TD will need to know if they stayed in range, after the tournament is over and before payout is calculated?

We should know in advance if it's going to be a problem since it's the average SSA we want under 54. We hope to have courses selected or set for a 53 or less value to start with. If the first two rounds are in range, unless the third round is crazy, even if R3 goes to 55, the average is still okay. If the average for R1 and R2 is already out of range, then we'll know ahead of time to probably shift the payout money. "Worst case" is players get checks or merch credits from the TD a day or two later with their adjusted local payouts.
cgkdisc

Postby juju » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 pm

What happens when TD's take weeks/months to turn in reports and/or cash?
juju

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Since all entries are pre-reg thru PDGA Sign-up, TDs won't even need to send the fee money to the PDGA unless they get someone who pre-reg'd as a non-member and gives them the membership money at the event. That's unlikely in late August. If the TD doesn't upload the final scores before the Noon EDT Monday deadline, their players won't be included in the global payouts.
cgkdisc

Postby Nohr » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:41 pm

This idea doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Tournament A could be raining 40 degrees with 30-40mph gusts while Tournament B could be sunny 70 degrees with little to no wind.

How is comparing those 2 events fair or equal?
Nohr

Postby irban » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Nohr wrote:This idea doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Tournament A could be raining 40 degrees with 30-40mph gusts while Tournament B could be sunny 70 degrees with little to no wind.

How is comparing those 2 events fair or equal?

I think the ratings take that into account since you are really basing your rating on it on how you play in relation to other players in your tournament. Weather affects everyone statistically equally. Same goes for the difficulty of the course. Not perfect of course, but close enough to be interesting anyway.

As Chuck says, this rating system is really the only one that theoretically allows trans world competition. Seems a shame not to give it a try.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm

The difficulty of the course SSA can be as precisely determined as possible based on the scores of the "measurers" i.e., the propagators, playing that round. Everything providing the immediate challenge that round - length, woods, elevation, wind, rain, and hazards - is wrapped up in their scores to produce the SSA.
cgkdisc

Postby CalebP » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:38 am

Keep in mind we are talking about the PDGA not the CIA. This does raise a whole shit ton of questions like scorring....... if your score 900 and you beat 200 people are you going to to get a shit ton of points? probably not. This just seems confusing as shit, while cool at the same time.
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:40 am

It says in the player info document that points are only awarded for the players you beat (or tie) in the local event you are playing: http://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/pdga ... ails-draft
cgkdisc

Postby Like_Water » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:02 pm

How many events are you anticipating will participate Chuck?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby AO » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Discwrangler wrote:How many events are you anticipating will participate Chuck?
Any TDs from Iowa interested?
AO

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm thinking the low end is around 20. High end around 40. Certain things that may happen early next year in terms of media exposure might snowball into more events getting added. There are only so many we can have without getting them a little too close to each other. Haven't heard from any Iowa TDs in terms of preliminary commitments. Twin Cities, Maple Hill, IDGC and Bucyrus, OH are the four committed already with about 10 more I've specifically communicated with who are reviewing info to potentially commit.
cgkdisc

Postby Clue » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:22 pm

It's the weekend we had the DM Open scheduled as well as Iron Lion Safari. I'm pushing for us to host at Ewing. The club officers have mixed opinions about making this happen. I think everyone is sitting back and trying to take in the details so we all understand everything.

If we host, and if we choose to have it at Ewing, we still have to work on getting a setup that falls into the right SSA range. I think it's just a matter of shortening 5 and 12 and then leaving some of the tweeners in birdie positions. I actually think Ewing would be a lot of fun in an easier setup, especially getting 3 cracks at it (or more). It also gives us a chance to do something fun with Sunday afternoon like a final 9.

Long way to go. A lot of details need to be worked out (like getting a bigger chainsaw so I can win an argument with Dave Beery).
Clue

Postby Clue » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:26 pm

I brought this up to Steve Dodge today. He's really excited about it. I told him people are getting hung up on some of the details. He smiled, shook his head, and said I don't care. I love the idea. I'm in!
Clue

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments