Global Disc Golf Championships (GDGC)

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Global Disc Golf Championships (GDGC)

Postby jnecessary » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 am

They posted it on the PDGA site.

I can't imagine the bickering about ratings and how this will be fair, but I hope we have an event somewhere local because it would be fun to be a part of the first go round with the GDGC.
jnecessary

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:24 am

cgkdisc wrote:The announcement is posted:
http://www.pdga.com/global-dg-championship
Single L

Postby jnecessary » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks! I had the link in there, must have deleted it by accident before posting
jnecessary

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:56 am

this is the information that Chuck's been hanging on to? LOL, what's the point? Oh ya I get it, one more way for the PDGA to get other people (volunteer TD's) to carry out their objectives.

Looks like you're up to two events to run next year Clue.
GDL17921

Postby Ferch » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 am

I read the article and I understand that the courses that everyone is playing are going to be set to somewhat the same rated layouts. What doesn't seem right is that all courses will have different terrain and most likely different weather conditions. It doesn't seem like a good setup, so is this for promotion, or disc golf togetherness?
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:12 am

what I'd like to know is how they are going to handle this:

"Roughly half your entry fee goes toward the local payout and half toward the global payout."

So, now instead of 2 bucks per player, somebody will get half everyone's entry fee. Can't wait to see how that global payout works. Lemme guess? PDGA online store....Let's break it down with some real rough numbers.

Let's assume 100 events, 50 ams at each one, $35 entry fees. That's 5000 ams paying $175K. Half of that is $87.5K. Sounds like a pretty nice weekend for somebody.
GDL17921

Postby cgkdisc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:28 am

So you're against having giant events? Would you be against an event that had 5000 Ams play in it because lots of money was involved? The payouts for the global and local events are subject to the same payout requirements and expectations. In fact, the global event will be under more scrutiny than maybe any event in history for a variety of reasons in addition to payout.
cgkdisc

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:44 am

Before I make any other assumptions, who is vending the global payout?
GDL17921

Postby cgkdisc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:59 am

Breiner Enterprises at minimum but we'll hopefully get others outside the U.S. for those players. Breiner has handled Worlds payouts for Ams before, including Iowa Worlds I think.
cgkdisc

Postby Pittman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 am

I love the idea of having a re-invented "worlds biggest" disc golf weekend. I think we need more events like that to help spread and support disc golf to the larger community.

However this idea of having people compete via ratings is ludicrous IMO. I've already shown before how ratings can swing up to 20 points (well within normal bounds according to chuck) for the same score on the same course in relatively the same conditions. That "small" margin of error is way way too big for me.

If there is an option to NOT play the global thing, I'll definitely support this. If that is no option and you have to donate 1/2 your money to some unseen entity in the sky then I will not be participating in this farce of a competition.
Pittman

Postby jnecessary » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:41 am

If this is about promoting the sport, why not have there be no fees for players that are not PDGA members? By no fees, I mean no penalty/temporary member fees.
jnecessary

Postby Beerman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 am

Congrats to Dave Wiggins Jr for winning the inagural GDGC.
Beerman

Postby cgkdisc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:57 am

Yes, because only Jared Pittman would be singled out for a 20-point discrimination? It's just not going to be a problem with the same pool of people on the same course for three rounds. Any individual round fluctuations will be smoothed out cumulatively. Yes, there will be some variances from place to place but the amount will be less than what happens with a one shot variance with an unlucky cut-thru on a basket or a lucky bounce off a tree into the basket or the wind is heavy when part of your division plays the open holes and is quiet when the other half plays them. The variances will be comparable what we deal with every tournament in terms of a little lucky and a little unlucky events.

I believe it's worth it for every pro to see how this works because it will help boost purses with much less travel when many more of these events are hosted down the road.
cgkdisc

Postby cgkdisc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:05 pm

If this is about promoting the sport, why not have there be no fees for players that are not PDGA members? By no fees, I mean no penalty/temporary member fees.

I wouldn't say this is only about promoting the sport (there are national media opportunities for sure) but also the value of ratings as part of your PDGA membership. No other outdoor sport I can think of has a chance to pull this off in a fair way using their ratings if they even have them. Maybe not in the USA but PDGA Ratings are considered the number 1 benefit by members outside North America. It's the main reason countries have given for why they have affiliated with the PDGA. They don't have as many events so they don't get the primary benefit players in the U.S. get by saving several $10 non-member fees in a year.
cgkdisc

Postby Cydisc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Pittman wrote:If there is an option to NOT play the global thing, I'll definitely support this.

This option is always available.
Cydisc

Next

Return to National Tournaments