Pabst Blue Ribbon Pines Open

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Pittman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:18 am

Ya chuck, I meant Hyland. Was typing fast between classes :) I keep meaning to hit the valley again, but life is busy...

Yes I liked blue valley. I liked it BECAUSE you actually had to throw a drive from almost every tee. There was some nice elevation and you had choices of hyzer/anny/etc. Now I can understand why you don't like it. It is alot of bomb and bomb again. But it's one of the few courses like that. And yes, I find BRP boring. Again that doesn't mean it's a bad course. I also think Winthrop gold is a pretty good course from what I've seen, but I don't think it would be very much fun to play.
Pittman

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:32 am

cgkdisc wrote:
In MN I like Highland and Bryant.

I hope you mean Hyland SSA? Highland is the short 9-holer in St. Paul. Check out the revamped The Valley when you get the chance.

The only boring hole for me is 18...and thats just because I dont throw far enough to clear the creek

Are you thinking 27? That's pretty much a long creek crossing.
No, I can get 27. Maybe the number was off, But Im talking about the one where you have to throw 425 or so to cross the creek, then another 350 or so to get to the pin.
SARG27044

Postby Pittman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:37 am

You're talking about 18 Tyler. That would be a good hole if you played to the basket of 26... Clear out a couple of paths through the woods. Distance might be a little long for a par 4 and short for a par 5, but the added difficulty of the woods and basket would make it a good par 5.
Pittman

Postby IHearChains » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:37 am

SARG27044 wrote:
IHearChains wrote:
porkchop wrote:I was like most and got blurred vision by the aesthetic wow factor

Clue wrote:I enjoy the course. I just think it's incredibly overrated.

We should have more courses like this. Pay to Play is the way to go. [/sarcasm]
Your sarscam is not needed. We all get it, you dont want pay to play. You obviously have not played this course. After seeing it even you would love to have a course like this to play whenever you would like. There is no trash, no vandalism, and the landscaping is incredible. No there isnt elevation change, and some people may find it boring...But I guess since its P2P, it should be perfect in every aspect and cater to everyones needs :roll:

No I have not played it, I was responding to comments of others who have. I am less likely to play up there now that I know it is flat and overrated. Thanks for the heads up.

People were using BRP as justification for why we should have more pay to play courses. Then come to find out, it's not even in the same league with courses such as Wildcat Bluff or Camden II, built on volunteer efforts.

To each his own though...Have fun up there.
IHearChains

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:38 am

That 700 ft hole is only part of the Majestic 27 along with that short island green hole right after it. They have not been in the regular daily 27 this year.
cgkdisc

Postby Pittman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:40 am

IHearChains wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:
IHearChains wrote:
porkchop wrote:I was like most and got blurred vision by the aesthetic wow factor

Clue wrote:I enjoy the course. I just think it's incredibly overrated.

We should have more courses like this. Pay to Play is the way to go. [/sarcasm]
Your sarscam is not needed. We all get it, you dont want pay to play. You obviously have not played this course. After seeing it even you would love to have a course like this to play whenever you would like. There is no trash, no vandalism, and the landscaping is incredible. No there isnt elevation change, and some people may find it boring...But I guess since its P2P, it should be perfect in every aspect and cater to everyones needs :roll:

No I have not played it, I was responding to comments of others who have. I am less likely to play up there now that I know it is flat and overrated. Thanks for the heads up.

People were using BRP as justification for why we should have more pay to play courses. Then come to find out, it's not even in the same league with courses such as Wildcat Bluff or Camden II, built on volunteer efforts.

To each his own though...Have fun up there.

BRP has some great amenities that come from the pay to play concept. Beer hut, "pro shop", beautiful landscaping, etc. If you have never been there it really is worth a trip.

Wildcat is a better course IMO, especially with the many different basket placements. But BRP is worth a trip.
Pittman

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:43 am

cgkdisc wrote:That 700 ft hole is only part of the Majestic 27 along with that short island green hole right after it. They have not been in the regular daily 27 this year.
You may be right, however we went up after the Majestic this year and played it twice in a day and those 2 holes were still being used.
SARG27044

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am

Combine the design and terrain of Camden II with the amenities, landscaping investment and daily care of BRP and Bryant Lake and you potentially have the best P2P course in the country.
Last edited by cgkdisc on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgkdisc

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:46 am

Pittman wrote:You're talking about 18 Tyler. That would be a good hole if you played to the basket of 26... Clear out a couple of paths through the woods. Distance might be a little long for a par 4 and short for a par 5, but the added difficulty of the woods and basket would make it a good par 5.
I agree. I love the green on that hole (26) And was very pleased to see the changes they did since last year. Hole 26 gets me every time :evil: . I can throw a great tee shot, but trying to land on the 3 tier'd green is tough for me for some reason.
SARG27044

Postby Pittman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:51 am

SARG27044 wrote:
Pittman wrote:You're talking about 18 Tyler. That would be a good hole if you played to the basket of 26... Clear out a couple of paths through the woods. Distance might be a little long for a par 4 and short for a par 5, but the added difficulty of the woods and basket would make it a good par 5.
I agree. I love the green on that hole (26) And was very pleased to see the changes they did since last year. Hole 26 gets me every time :evil: . I can throw a great tee shot, but trying to land on the 3 tier'd green is tough for me for some reason.

Ya, that green is tough. Key is to get your drive on the left side of the fairway so you can throw a hyzer approach, makes it easier imo. That's why I throw zone or buzzz from the tee. Drivers tend to end up on the right side too much.
Pittman

Postby Single L » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:53 am

yevenstee wrote: If none of you have played the Majestic layout which it has stayed in this year, then you may think differently.

cgkdisc wrote:That 700 ft hole is only part of the Majestic 27 along with that short island green hole right after it. They have not been in the regular daily 27 this year.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

If he (Mr. Jordan) isn't planning on using hole 18 year round why the hell did he spend so much money and time on the tee area?? Seems like a waste of resources to me.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 am

If he (Mr. Jordan) isn't planning on using hole 18 year round why the hell did he spend so much money and time on the tee area?? Seems like a waste of resources to me.

Photo ops?

I missed the Majestic and haven't played BRP since then so maybe those holes have still been in play since June. I played a 27 layout in a spring event and those two holes weren't in the layout. But the field was soggy and that may have been a reason they were skipped. Yee?
cgkdisc

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:11 am

They were in play in July. But you guys would know better if they havent been since then. We all know Corey wants a retake of his pic on that hole :lol: :wink: I know those open holes in the middle are on a sod farm... but do they actually "farm" the sod? Or is it there for good?
SARG27044

Postby Single L » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:14 am

cgkdisc wrote:I missed the Majestic and haven't played BRP since then so maybe those holes have still been in play since June

Oh Brother :roll:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:14 am

I think that BRP grass may stay there. I believe their farm goes beyond that property down the road and across the street so BRP may have only taken a small percentage of their sod land.
cgkdisc

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments