USDGC

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby bergdawg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 am

Stroke + distance is a great rule for Open. At the USDGC there is SO much OB, a lot of the holes with only one spotter, gonna be hard to tell where it exactly went out. I don't think it's great for the Advanced and Intermediate division because not all of us are there yet, it's going to discourage a lot of players.

IMHO, I don't think Avery or Nate should be bitching about the stroke + distance because everyone is playing by the same rules. If you're the best disc golfer in the world you should be able to prove it on any course. You shouldn't bitch about rules because it doesn't cater to your game.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Ames

Postby Clue » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 am

bergdawg wrote:IMHO, I don't think Avery or Nate should be bitching about the stroke + distance because everyone is playing by the same rules. If you're the best disc golfer in the world you should be able to prove it on any course. You shouldn't bitch about rules because it doesn't cater to your game.

I was a little surprised about Nate's complaint, not so much by Avery's. Nate had a bad first round so it left a bad taste in his mouth. I think it was mostly reactionary. Avery on the other hand benefits the most taking advantage of par 4s and par 5s. I watched him on the Gold course at Worlds and he's 2-putting for birdie half the time. That's how he wants to play Winthrop Gold. Now he has to play it like I do, and I can understand the frustration from being handcuffed like that.
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby grodney » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:46 am

I knew this all sounded familiar.

From Aug 19, 1999: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.spor ... 56e7?hl=en

Shannon wrote:
"
The best way to handle the lost disc scenario is the way ball golf does
it--Go back and re-throw (hit) from your last lie with a stroke penalty
(the throw you lost counts too!)--Same for everyone; not open to troublesome opinions; easy to remember.
"

grodney wrote:
"
I agree. I'm sure at some point we'll get to this. I wish it were
sooner instead of later, but I'm not holding my breath.
Lost disc and OB should both be stroke and distance. Institute (true)
provisional throws to speed play. "Last seen" sucks. Circle-3's
suck.
"

Shannon wrote:
"
Due to the inexplicable hostility many disc golfers hold for traditional
golf philosophy, I'm not holding my breath either.
"
User avatar
grodney
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

Postby jnecessary » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Clue wrote:
bergdawg wrote:IMHO, I don't think Avery or Nate should be bitching about the stroke + distance because everyone is playing by the same rules. If you're the best disc golfer in the world you should be able to prove it on any course. You shouldn't bitch about rules because it doesn't cater to your game.

I was a little surprised about Nate's complaint, not so much by Avery's. Nate had a bad first round so it left a bad taste in his mouth. I think it was mostly reactionary. Avery on the other hand benefits the most taking advantage of par 4s and par 5s. I watched him on the Gold course at Worlds and he's 2-putting for birdie half the time. That's how he wants to play Winthrop Gold. Now he has to play it like I do, and I can understand the frustration from being handcuffed like that.


Agreed. That is why I responded to his complaining on Facebook. I don't really care that a lot of people did not agree with the stroke+distance, but I think the top pros should be more worried about how to attack the course than working up a negative campaign against it. Seriously, complaining on FB/twitter/live feed after the first day. I didn't hear Nikko or Will complaining, only talking about how the more difficult course simply gave them more drive and motivation.

That said, I would be surprised if I could shoot a sub 100 round out there without significant course practice!
jnecessary
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Iowa City

Postby Like_Water » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Avery was the card ahead of us, and he was just waiting for Nate to get out of the scorer's trailer so they could rant together. F'n hilarious.

Notice they both figured it out eventually. :roll:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
User avatar
Like_Water
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 am
Location: Milky Way

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Brinster said the stroke+distance finally made up his mind to attack the course the last round, and he tore it up.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Clue wrote:
bergdawg wrote: Now he has to play it like I do, and I can understand the frustration from being handcuffed like that.


BOO-HOO. Pull out another World Champion signature disc and throw.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Postby Like_Water » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 pm

The Donator wrote:Brinster said the stroke+distance finally made up his mind to attack the course the last round, and he tore it up.


It was interesting making shot decisions out there. Instead of picking the disc that would “miss left”, I had to pick the disc that would “land safe”. It made 888 (hole 13) easier off the tee. You HAD to commit and follow through. It made things much more clear in my mind.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
User avatar
Like_Water
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 am
Location: Milky Way

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Chase20460 wrote:
Clue wrote:
bergdawg wrote: Now he has to play it like I do, and I can understand the frustration from being handcuffed like that.


BOO-HOO. Pull out another World Champion signature disc and throw.

Lol nice
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Postby Furthur » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Are there links to pros being interviewed about the course (Avery and Nate in particular)?
User avatar
Furthur
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:38 am

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Here's a good thread on the topic which includes a few NW players who played the USGDC weighing in: http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/sho ... php?t=5869

Their poll is now more than 2-to-1 against Throw and Distance
cgkdisc
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Postby Clue » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:54 pm

cgkdisc wrote:Here's a good thread on the topic which includes a few NW players who played the USGDC weighing in: http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/sho ... php?t=5869

Their poll is now more than 2-to-1 against Throw and Distance

My god, I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified that you have the time to contribute to all of these discussions! In all seriousness though I actually learn a lot from your misguided responses, mostly because you make me focus enough at formulating the right answer myself!
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Yours and other responses help me hone my arguments to eventually break you down like the Borg... ;)
cgkdisc
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:48 pm

cgkdisc wrote:Their poll is now more than 2-to-1 against Throw and Distance



And probably 75% didn't even play the tournament.

I'm 100% in favor of it.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
User avatar
Like_Water
 
Posts: 5850
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:16 am
Location: Milky Way

Postby Pittman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
cgkdisc wrote:Their poll is now more than 2-to-1 against Throw and Distance



And probably 75% didn't even play the tournament.

I'm 100% in favor of it.


I would be in favor of it if there was a bit more room to negotiate. Give more room for the fairway on some holes and thats good.
Hole 18 makes the least sense to me. If you just have OB on the right and use the trees as a natural bunker it makes sense. Having both be ob, I think stroke and distance is too much.
Pittman
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Rochester, MN

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron