USDGC

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby irban » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:59 am

Is TD the par borg or what?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Like_Water » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:30 pm

irban wrote:Is TD the par borg or what?

I guess. I've been shooting 68 & 69 since I started playing this biatch 6 years ago. Lucky for me it was a decent score this year.

I love stroke and distance. I think we should use it for every OB. The only thing I think needs changed is the rope. You have to give us some wiggle room. But only on a few holes.

You see guys taking 15's and you start thinking, man, I'm doing ok!
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby shane » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Discwrangler wrote:

I guess. I've been shooting 68 & 69 since I started playing this biatch 6 years ago. Lucky for me it was a decent score this year.

I love stroke and distance. I think we should use it for every OB. The only thing I think needs changed is the rope. You have to give us some wiggle room. But only on a few holes.

That would be great if it came with the red and green flaggers. Realistically I think it would slow a normal tourney to a screeching halt. It'd be like following Gunnink, Greenleaf, Tanner and Aaron Martin.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby irban » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:34 pm

shane wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:

That would be great if it came with the red and green flaggers. Realistically I think it would slow a normal tourney to a screeching halt. It'd be like following Stewart, Greenleaf, Tanner and Aaron Martin.

Fixed. Don't know where I got the slow play rep, but I challenge someone to time me.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Single L » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Pickard circa 2009 ........ Hey Gunnink ....... you mind if we play through :lol: :lol:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby 10up » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:41 pm

it also tends to be a trait placed on anything someone of your age does.

just sayin'
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Like_Water » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:58 pm

shane wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:

That would be great if it came with the red and green flaggers. Realistically I think it would slow a normal tourney to a screeching halt. It'd be like following Gunnink, Greenleaf, Tanner and Aaron Martin.

I don't think so. I think people would be more inclined to stay in bounds, and less arbitrary "where did it go out?" discussion. Most OB is obvious from the throw....just re throw.
Like_Water

Postby Clue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:51 pm

irban wrote:Don't know where I got the slow play rep, but I challenge someone to time me.

Once you address your shot you do not take very long, but your rep comes from what you do between shots. We often have to point out that it's your turn to throw and you're not always aware of where everyone is so you don't anticipate when it's going to be your turn.
Clue

Postby Clue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Discwrangler wrote:I don't think so. I think people would be more inclined to stay in bounds, and less arbitrary "where did it go out?" discussion. Most OB is obvious from the throw....just re throw.

I couldn't agree more. I thought the majority of the resistance from this year's rule change was just that....change. Most people resist most forms of change because it's outside of their comfort zone.

As far as the merits go, I also agree with Tanner. I don't think there's nearly enough punishment for OB shots. The larger the disparity between risk and reward makes the reward that much better. And I don't think speed of play would be much of an issue, especially if players use provisionals well.

Here's two examples in the DM area:

Hole 7 at Walnut. A player like Fausch who can reach this hole fairly easily only gambles a little less than a stroke when playing for 2. If he goes OB it's usually gonna be near the ditch or closer. He's gonna get up and down for 4 nearly every time and will occasionally make the putt for circle 3. I'd guess he makes circle 3 more often than he fails to get up and down for 4 anyway. If you play that hole with stroke and distance, more players are going to lay up shorter and playing closer to the woods which would lead to more 4s and a 2 is rewarded because they'll pick up well over a stroke over the field. A miss would be an auto 5 and possibly a 6 as many players tend to over correct and would throw into the woods.

Hole 8 at Pickard. Ever since they cleared out all the brush and some trees right of the willow tree, this hole has become more of a tweener than a legitimate par 4. Stroke and distance would make this hole better in two ways. The obvious is how aggressive you can be on your approach since going deep would be severely punished, but the 2nd way is that players wouldn't be quite as aggressive off the tee since missing left over the fence would result in a retee. If I have any say at the Challenge I'm definitely pushing for stroke and distance.
Clue

Postby shane » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Two holes off the top of my head 1 and 12 at gv are you ob or not. I don't want to walk back and forth that's my only resistance to it. I'm lazy get over it. At what point of time does provisionals become practice throws. I can think of one off the top of my head at Forest city where it sure seemed like just an extra shot.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby irban » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:39 pm

porkchop wrote:Pickard circa 2009 ........ Hey Gunnink ....... you mind if we play through :lol: :lol:

That day I lost 5 discs, so did take a bit. Plus we were still on the ass of the group ahead of us anyway.

Agree with clue I get little absent minded, but still think I'm basically ready golf. Pretty sure we were waiting for Phillips to finish all of his stories about whether holes are safari the other day at SW. :P
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Like_Water » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Clue wrote: Most people resist most forms of change because it's outside of their comfort zone.

yep...I know from experience dude.

Clue wrote:And I don't think speed of play would be much of an issue, especially if players use provisionals well.

It would become common place.

9/10 times you know if you're OB. And if you're throwing a provisional thinking you are OB.... you're nowhere near thinking about practicing...rather, I'm FUBAR!

Our game is so "go big or go home" there needs to be some risk instead of just reward. Guys are still gonna go for it, and get it....just ask Nikko and Will. :shock:

And grodney, I heard no issues with the spotters this year...though we did call provisional a few times, the spotters were always correct.
Like_Water

Postby Clue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:25 pm

shane wrote:I don't want to walk back and forth that's my only resistance to it.

Throw a provisional.

I don't have any problem with you being selfish. It's no different then Doss and Avery complaining about stroke and distance at USDGC. I'm probably being selfish leaning toward making players think. Lose to Fausch for 16 years and making players think will be paramount on your wish list!
Clue

Postby Sprague » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Stroke and distance certainly balances out the completely unfair lost disc rule (under the regular OB rules)...now lost disc isn't disproportionately punishing.
Sprague

Postby Sprague » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:47 pm

And if we play by Harold's rules regarding qualifying, I won't be rolling into a USDGC qualifying tournament with the IL Rep spot firmly in my back pocket and in the process screwing some deserving player out of 1 of the 5 spots available...unfortunately this way of doing things will waste the Illinois Rep spot that should have gone to the runner-up for the IL rep spot (he would obviously be more deserving than the guy that got bumped out at Worlds) :idea:

Thank goodness Harold allows for State Reps to be added as late as Aug 31 and if necessary will grant an extension for States that need more time...just saying. :wink:
Sprague

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments