USDGC Moving to Every Other Year

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Like_Water » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Clue wrote:It appears the biggest change is hole 14.

Rope wise yes. The sidewalk brings in a little skippy fluke factor, but not that major.

The biggest thing is the Stroke and Distance for all OB shots. Like Chuck said, it will make course management more crucial, and guys won't be going for it. Last year was a shoot out and I went home realizing I wasn't nearly aggressive enough....playing the same way I usually had. That day I began plotting the controlled aggression strategy, and had been visualizing the top ten finish....then along comes today and the whole strategy is out the door...back to the Original formula.

Seems crazy how the caddy book was done and posted, and this sweeping change comes in at the last second. It's like Harold just said Chuck it. Kinda like the decision to make it every 2 years.

The only problem I see is if it gets windy and tee shots on 13 and 17 get stupidly difficult....We will be seeinng the return of 27's on a single hole this year!
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:28 pm

The only problem I see is if it gets windy and tee shots on 13 and 17 get stupidly difficult....We will be seeing the return of 27's on a single hole this year!

I think you mean 12 (888) & 17. The tee shot on 12 is regular OB rules, not throw and distance so heavy wind won't normally require a retee, just rethrows on all shots OB after that (which is still enough!). I didn't look to see if the layout for 17 has the lay-up area like last year. Might be used much more this year if it's there.
cgkdisc

Postby Clue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:58 pm

cgkdisc wrote:
The only problem I see is if it gets windy and tee shots on 13 and 17 get stupidly difficult....We will be seeing the return of 27's on a single hole this year!

I think you mean 12 (888) & 17. The tee shot on 12 is regular OB rules, not throw and distance so heavy wind won't normally require a retee, just rethrows on all shots OB after that (which is still enough!). I didn't look to see if the layout for 17 has the lay-up area like last year. Might be used much more this year if it's there.

No, he meant 13 (888).
Clue

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:24 pm

Got it. Hole 12, the shot downhill from the Coliseum will not have a retee if you go OB. That could make hole 13 (888) wicked like Tanner posted if the wind kicks up. We get some live coverage so I guess we might get to see some melt downs.
cgkdisc

Postby Clue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:37 pm

cgkdisc wrote:Got it. Hole 12, the shot downhill from the Coliseum will not have a retee if you go OB. That could make hole 13 (888) wicked like Tanner posted if the wind kicks up. We get some live coverage so I guess we might get to see some melt downs.

I only had 8 tee shots in 3 rounds on that hole last year, and it was perfect out.
Clue

Postby Like_Water » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Clue wrote:
cgkdisc wrote:Got it. Hole 12, the shot downhill from the Coliseum will not have a retee if you go OB. That could make hole 13 (888) wicked like Tanner posted if the wind kicks up. We get some live coverage so I guess we might get to see some melt downs.

I only had 8 tee shots in 3 rounds on that hole last year, and it was perfect out.

Again, RHBH throwers have it bad on Winthrop. All the tough holes slope R>L.
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:24 pm

If it's not apparent, Harold has been on a mission over the years to design holes on Winthrop where using a righty forehand shot is more desireable than RHBH. It has always bugged him how well the top players can still throw exceptional RHBH shots even when the RHFH was a much better choice for spin.
cgkdisc

Postby The Donator » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:25 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
Clue wrote:

Again, RHBH throwers have it bad on Winthrop. All the tough holes slope R>L.

I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Like_Water » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:12 am

cgkdisc wrote:If it's not apparent, Harold has been on a mission over the years to design holes on Winthrop where using a righty forehand shot is more desireable than RHBH. It has always bugged him how well the top players can still throw exceptional RHBH shots even when the RHFH was a much better choice for spin.

Thus creating holes for LHBH throwers!

I know the majority of us are RHBH. It always baffled me that Feldberg made it that far without a forehand shot.

If the pine bales on 17 were reasonable I'd be throwing a forehand, but it is still easier to throw a putter. C'mon Harold! Get it together! :lol:
Like_Water

Postby grodney » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:53 pm

What? They went to strict stroke-and-distance for all rope? (Except the one tee shot.)

That's (obviously) even more severe than the original "last crossed the rope" OB.

Am I reading that right?
grodney

Postby grodney » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:58 pm

Is the special falling putt rule in effect?
grodney

Postby Like_Water » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

You're reading it right.

And who knows. No caddie book. New tree on 1, put in as we were finishing our round, and a net above the tee on 17 that showed up after doubles yesterday. I'm wondering if we won't see the rules swing back to something less severe. Who knows...it seems like a lot of sudden changes keep happening.
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:56 pm

the caddie book is posted online
GDL17921

Postby Like_Water » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:32 pm

GDL17921 wrote:the caddie book is posted online

The official version? :D
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:45 am

Discwrangler wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:the caddie book is posted online

The official version? :D

idk, probably more than you have now. I'd locate a print shop (kinkos) and have em print you one.

Caddy book
GDL17921

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments