USDGC Moving to Every Other Year

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

USDGC Moving to Every Other Year

Postby Single L » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:44 am

For immediate release:

August 25, 2010

This year marks the 12th anniversary of the United States Disc Golf Championship (USDGC). Since its inception in 1999, the USDGC has grown into one of disc golf’s premier championship events. Innova Disc Golf, in association with the event’s many volunteers, sponsors, USDGC Partners, Winthrop University, and the Professional Disc Golf Association, is extremely proud to have been such an integral part of our game’s history.
Innova considers it a privilege to be in a leadership position. We have seen disc golf, and our business, grow and change tremendously over nearly three decades. The disc golf market is continually expanding and Innova is more committed than ever to improving our service to this incredibly diverse community of players.

In recognition of the growth of disc golf around the globe, we have decided to move the USDGC to a biennial schedule. Effective immediately, the USDGC will alternate years with Europe’s major event – The European Open. The USDGC will be held in even numbered years and the European Open in odd numbered years. This will enable better global promotion of professional disc golf, as well as afford us an opportunity to serve another important segment of the disc golf population.

Amateur and recreational golfers represent the fastest growing portion of the disc golf community. With these players in mind, a new event will visit the famous grounds at Winthrop University in 2011. Details will be forthcoming, but two of the guiding principles will be: Amateurism and Fun Competition in a Professional Setting at Winthrop. Despite these changes our mission remains the same; to live disc golf and to enable others to discover such a wonderful lifetime sport.

We are excited about the future of disc golf, more so than ever before. Opportunity for the game’s advancement abounds. We are confident that this new schedule will allow the USDGC to sustain its tradition of excellence, while building an even better fan base for the game’s elite.

One thing you can count on this fall is that Innova and the USDGC family are steadily preparing for our greatest tournament experience to date. We look forward to October, and to seeing you here.

Warmest regards,

Innova Disc Golf
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Re: USDGC Moving to Every Other Year

Postby Single L » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:48 am

grodney wrote:First Prop 8 is repealed, now the USDGC is going bi?! Rainbows all around! What's next?!?!!

LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:29 am

porkchop wrote:For immediate release:

August 25, 2010

This year marks the 12th anniversary of the United States Disc Golf Championship (USDGC). Since its inception in 1999, the USDGC has grown into one of disc golf’s premier championship events. Innova Disc Golf, in association with the event’s many volunteers, sponsors, USDGC Partners, Winthrop University, and the Professional Disc Golf Association, is extremely proud to have been such an integral part of our game’s history.
Innova considers it a privilege to be in a leadership position. We have seen disc golf, and our business, grow and change tremendously over nearly three decades. The disc golf market is continually expanding and Innova is more committed than ever to improving our service to this incredibly diverse community of players.

In recognition of the growth of disc golf around the globe, we have decided to move the USDGC to a biennial schedule. Effective immediately, the USDGC will alternate years with Europe’s major event – The European Open. The USDGC will be held in even numbered years and the European Open in odd numbered years. This will enable better global promotion of professional disc golf, as well as afford us an opportunity to serve another important segment of the disc golf population.

Amateur and recreational golfers represent the fastest growing portion of the disc golf community. With these players in mind, a new event will visit the famous grounds at Winthrop University in 2011. Details will be forthcoming, but two of the guiding principles will be: Amateurism and Fun Competition in a Professional Setting at Winthrop. Despite these changes our mission remains the same; to live disc golf and to enable others to discover such a wonderful lifetime sport.

We are excited about the future of disc golf, more so than ever before. Opportunity for the game’s advancement abounds. We are confident that this new schedule will allow the USDGC to sustain its tradition of excellence, while building an even better fan base for the game’s elite.

One thing you can count on this fall is that Innova and the USDGC family are steadily preparing for our greatest tournament experience to date. We look forward to October, and to seeing you here.

Warmest regards,

Innova Disc Golf

Garbage.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby grodney » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:39 am

It's pretty much confirmed they're going to "no fairway runup" for a few holes this year. #5 plus one or two others.

Add that to their list of experiments from year to year.
grodney

Postby Single L » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:47 am

porkchop wrote:Amateur and recreational golfers represent the fastest growing portion of the disc golf community. With these players in mind, a new event will visit the famous grounds at Winthrop University in 2011. Details will be forthcoming, but two of the guiding principles will be: Amateurism and Fun Competition in a Professional Setting at Winthrop.

I think that this is the Important part of this release

It's purpose is either driven by one of two factors .......

To truly grow the sport at the AM level ...... "Innova needs to stop wasting so much time and money on "pros" when they really need grassroots growth in this nation to make this game more than the tiny blip that it is"

or

To rape and pillage the Am's in off years to fatten the payout to another level.

I think the latter is more likely.
Single L

Postby O_D » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 am

Aren't both the statements really the same? Innova sells more discs?
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:54 am

I will wager it's the former. I expect the payout for the USDGC in 2012 to be about the same as 2010.
cgkdisc

Postby grodney » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:01 pm

O_D wrote:Aren't both the statements really the same? Innova sells more discs?

I had an idea several years ago, that was met with much disapproval, like most of my ideas.

My idea was for Innova to pay a person (or people) to go around the country and sell courses to cities/counties/states, and meanwhile get their discs placed in sporting goods stores and retailers near the sold courses.

See, cities don't have any money. But they do have land. And a need for low-cost recreational opportunities for their citizens. If you waltz into town with 15 grand (and some local support), it's pretty easy to get a course installed.

But the great thing is, it's not 15 grand to Innova, it's only their cost. They can re-coup that cost in disc sales in a heartbeat (relatively speaking).

One theory at the time was that Innova didn't *want* to be that big, at least not that fast. Couldn't handle the production, etc.

Anyway.
grodney

Postby The Donator » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:37 pm

grodney wrote:It's pretty much confirmed they're going to "no fairway runup" for a few holes this year. #5 plus one or two others.

Add that to their list of experiments from year to year.

Rumor has is they couldnt lock up the Ringling Bros in 2011 so they have to wait until 2012.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Can we get a windmill hole too?
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Clue » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Not sure why any of you *amateurs* would be hating. This is huge news. There are so many players who never had a shot at playing this venue that now can next year and at worlds in 2012. I'd be very excited about this.
Clue

Postby Single L » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Clue wrote:Not sure why any of you *amateurs* would be hating. This is huge news. There are so many players who never had a shot at playing this venue that now can next year and at worlds in 2012. I'd be very excited about this.

Oh I'm not hating ..... It's great for me. Just think its a peculiar move. I hope this "Global / Youth" movement works out for them and doesn't blow up in their face. But I have my reservations.
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Clue wrote:Not sure why any of you *amateurs* would be hating. This is huge news. There are so many players who never had a shot at playing this venue that now can next year and at worlds in 2012. I'd be very excited about this.

agreed
GDL17921

Postby lennythrowsdiscraft » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:22 pm

.........innova is gay.
lennythrowsdiscraft

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Here's the chance for Discraft to fill the void every other year with a big time pro event.
cgkdisc

Next

Return to National Tournaments