Mid America Open, Columbia, Missouri--July 10-11th

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Re: Mid America Open, Columbia, Missouri--July 10-11th

Postby Single L » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Beerman wrote:Are you still bitter that Tin Cupp beat you because of the front course :wink:

That should be about enough for me to quite altogether ...... however I knew at the time I had a giant leak in my game that I have since fixed .... I don't plan on seeing this scenario playing out again.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:55 pm

I told Philips once, I'll reiterate it again. The front course was desinged when most of you were still jackin' off to the sears catalog....actually probably even before that for a lot of you. Yeah, today's discs don't exactly fit the bill for some of the shots out there, but hell this is the community that got the disc golf magazine started back in the early 80's. It's a piece of history. Playing in Columbia is always a blast, those dudes really know how to run a tournament, and just have some good ole fun.

If you live there, that front course definately grows on you because there are many pin placements, and they get moved frequently. Playing it in a tourney is kind of like just taking a snapshot of a sundae. It looks good, but you can't eat a picture, so it kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It's understandable that Philips didn't like it, you're not the first one to criticize the Oakland Front course, it's been getting that since the advent of CE plastic.

Playing there helped me develop a lot of shots that I have in my bag that a lot of you compliment from time to time. Those would include my forehand roller, scooby (UD) and my sidearm. Some of those janky lines will get you thinking about different shots. It was always fun playing with different people on the front course, as almost everybody plays a lot of those holes in a different way. (some better than others)

I give credit to a course that encourages creativity, rather than just grab your wraith and throw it the same old way and hopefully hit a line. It's different, and becuase of that you're adopting Lindsley's view of hockey about this course.....which you are entitled to do.....Is Oakland Front in my top 20 favorite courses? Hell no. But it sure ain't keeping me from a great event like a shitty TD is in MN.

BTW, if I haven't mentioned it, the player's party at the Mid-America Open is hands down the best. They have always had New Belgium as a sponsor, (two kegs) and Fred Garver usually barbecue's for the field. They had a mini course set up for all to play as well. The competition was fierce the last time I went with Joe Cool.....two years ago I believe. Tyler let's start making plans.
GDL17921

Re: Mid America Open, Columbia, Missouri--July 10-11th

Postby Beerman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:56 pm

porkchop wrote:
Beerman wrote:Are you still bitter that Tin Cupp beat you because of the front course :wink:

That should be about enough for me to quite altogether ...... however I knew at the time I had a giant leak in my VAG that I have since fixed .... I don't plan on seeing this scenario playing out again.

Fixed
Beerman

Postby johnemus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:06 pm

GDL5000 wrote:I told Philips once, I'll reiterate it again. The front course was desinged when most of you were still jackin' off to the sears catalog....actually probably even before that for a lot of you. Yeah, today's discs don't exactly fit the bill for some of the shots out there, but hell this is the community that got the disc golf magazine started back in the early 80's. It's a piece of history. Playing in Columbia is always a blast, those dudes really know how to run a tournament, and just have some good ole fun.

If you live there, that front course definately grows on you because there are many pin placements, and they get moved frequently. Playing it in a tourney is kind of like just taking a snapshot of a sundae. It looks good, but you can't eat a picture, so it kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It's understandable that Philips didn't like it, you're not the first one to criticize the Oakland Front course, it's been getting that since the advent of CE plastic.

Playing there helped me develop a lot of shots that I have in my bag that a lot of you compliment from time to time. Those would include my forehand roller, scooby (UD) and my sidearm. Some of those janky lines will get you thinking about different shots. It was always fun playing with different people on the front course, as almost everybody plays a lot of those holes in a different way. (some better than others)

I give credit to a course that encourages creativity, rather than just grab your wraith and throw it the same old way and hopefully hit a line. It's different, and becuase of that you're adopting Lindsley's view of hockey about this course.....which you are entitled to do.....Is Oakland Front in my top 20 favorite courses? Hell no. But it sure ain't keeping me from a great event like a shitty TD is in MN.

BTW, if I haven't mentioned it, the player's party at the Mid-America Open is hands down the best. They have always had New Belgium as a sponsor, (two kegs) and Fred Garver usually barbecue's for the field. They had a mini course set up for all to play as well. The competition was fierce the last time I went with Joe Cool.....two years ago I believe. Tyler let's start making plans.

The player's party is awesome! i went down there for this tournament last year, good excuse to see an unlce of mine (who just so happens to run the tournament) and made a week out of it. Its awesome time. Sure Oakland is a little out-dated. However, one round at Indian hills makes the trip worth it. That course is definitely a fun one.
johnemus

Postby Single L » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:20 pm

GDL5000 wrote:If you live there, that front course definately grows on you because there are many pin placements, and they get moved frequently. Playing it in a tourney is kind of like just taking a snapshot of a sundae. It looks good, but you can't eat a picture, so it kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It's understandable that Philips didn't like it, you're not the first one to criticize the Oakland Front course, it's been getting that since the advent of CE plastic.

I don't plan on moving to Columbia so a tourney setting is all I get ..... a shitty tasting Sundae :wink:

I'll back up a bit ..... I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going; I've only heard great things about the EVENT as a whole.

With that said I still will not be going (if it were 2 rounds of IH and 2 of the Back course than I might think about it).

When I book a weekend long DG trip I want it to be for a solid event on solid courses. I've done the mini golf, kegs, dubs, and party thing ...... its not what I look for in an event anymore ....... some do and more power to you, I hold nothing against that ...... I go for solid golf with solid competition at a solid event.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby johnemus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:30 pm

you play advanced, correct? you guys only have to play 1 round on the front course. I believe its 2 on the back, 1 on front and 1 at IH for adv. Open is 2 at IH and 1 at each of the others. Rec and Int have 2 rounds at front 1 at back and IH. I havent really heard of too many complaints about the back course and i know i havent heard any about IH. I think everyone whose ever played the front course would agree with you about it being a little outdated and could use some updating, but thats one of the courses where disc golf really started. I think the overall tournament is worth going to instead of choosing not to go because of where one the rounds is being played. Just my 2 cents
johnemus

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:30 pm

haha, always wondered who Mark's nephew was. He mentioned you several years ago when I said I was from Des Moines, and I didn't know you at the time, so the name didn't stick with me.
GDL17921

Postby johnemus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:40 pm

GDL5000 wrote:haha, always wondered who Mark's nephew was. He mentioned you several years ago when I said I was from Des Moines, and I didn't know you at the time, so the name didn't stick with me.

Well, kinda funny, actually. i didnt play until just a few years ago. My older brother (tony ehlert, little tony is what alot of the guys called him i think) was who he was talking about, im sure.
johnemus

Postby flyinplastic23 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Mid America is a great tourny. I have lots of memories from my one weekend there! BACON! Haha. If anyone can go, they should.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby johnemus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:42 pm

http://www.cdgc.org/events/mid-america-open

Also, the host hotel will be the Red Roof Inn. Good deal of only $40/night for those thinking about making the trip.
johnemus

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 am

GDL5000 wrote: Tyler let's start making plans.
As of now I can get Friday afternoon and Monday off...Might be able to sneak my way out of working on Friday. But someone already requested it off, so it might take some work. If youre down with leaving around 12 on Friday It would work great...
SARG27044

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:59 am

Yesssss. Registering next week.
SARG27044

Postby Clue » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:01 am

SARG27044 wrote:
GDL5000 wrote:...Might be able to sneak my way out of working on Friday.

Or....your relief will call in and you'll be stuck there until late!
Clue

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 am

Clue wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:
GDL5000 wrote:...Might be able to sneak my way out of working on Friday.

Or....your relief will call in and you'll be stuck there until late!
That would be unusual.... :roll: :lol:
SARG27044

Postby johnemus » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:32 am

so who all is going to this?
johnemus

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments