2010 PDGA Am Worlds

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Nohr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:13 pm

SARG27044 wrote:Thats just what I heard...Then I would have no idea why Wiggins is still an Am, when he could have 1000's in winnings so far

I thought I heard the voice over on the USADGC video say wiggins is trying for a triple crown. He also said that wiggins is going pro after Worlds.
Nohr

Postby Disc Golf Live » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 am

Glad someone was listening...

According to both Davids, Jr. and Sr., a couple weeks back at Am Nationals, Am Worlds will be Jr.'s last Amateur event. The expectation is that a portion of his Pro winnings will be set aside for his college fund, and my guess is that by the time he matriculates he'll have a nice nest egg set aside. Didn't see his name on the reg list for Pro Worlds but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays Lemon Lake as a pro after he mops up the Am victory.

Is reg for Pro Worlds always this slow? Only 131 registered to date. I know the pros don't usually get it together very early, but this seems pretty light only a month out.

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live

Postby Furthur » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Joe, I'm pretty sure it was at least that slow for Worlds last year in KC.

Good to hear about Wiggins moving up to Pro for his events; I think he will do very well there.
Furthur

Postby Clue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Yeah, that's not unusual. I'm likely going to play but haven't even thought about registering yet. Many players I've asked still don't know if they're playing, which probably means they aren't.
Clue

Postby jlowekc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:45 pm

you have been there though right......I just don't know if its the best venue for a "pro worlds", it's clearly the best copmlex in the chicago area, but man IDK @ it for worlds at the pro level.....
--
===o {>[]----

Jack Lowe
http://www.KCFDC.org
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"
jlowekc

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Pro Worlds has only been an attractive tournament for me one time....

2004 in my home town.

Every other has been a no win proposition.

2 weeks off, multiple courses to learn, weak payout. No Thanks.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Clue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:02 pm

jlowekc wrote:you have been there though right......I just don't know if its the best venue for a "pro worlds", it's clearly the best copmlex in the chicago area, but man IDK @ it for worlds at the pro level.....

It's not the best venue. The golf will be ok, but it lacks a lot of amenities. And Tanner's right about the return on investment. Until the reward is better, the time is much better spent on 2-3 NTs.
Clue

Postby AO » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Pro Worlds has only been an attractive tournament for me one time.....

I think you missed out last year. Courses in KC are really good.
AO

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 pm

AO wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:Pro Worlds has only been an attractive tournament for me one time.....

I think you missed out last year. Courses in KC are really good.

For sure, and I almost regretted it. I love KC. But again, week and a half off work and I'd have walked out with maybe $250. I'd like to think I'm not all about money, but it has to make sense.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby cgkdisc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 pm

you have been there though right......I just don't know if its the best venue for a "pro worlds", it's clearly the best copmlex in the chicago area, but man IDK @ it for worlds at the pro level.....

The average SSA at Lemon will be higher than Open played at KC for the prelim rounds and players get two shots at just three courses to learn in comparison to five at KC. Much better pro venue from a cost/benefit and course challenge basis than KC, especially for lodging.
cgkdisc

Postby Clue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:34 pm

cgkdisc wrote:especially for lodging.

Really? There were 2.5 Value Place extended stay hotels full of golfers in KC at $189/week/room divided by about 3 people/room. I don't think anyone is staying anywhere any cheaper than that.
Clue

Postby AO » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:54 pm

cgkdisc wrote:

Much better pro venue from a cost/benefit and course challenge basis than KC, especially for lodging.

Please explain?
AO

Postby AO » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 pm

I think Wiggins could be looking at one of the best Am Worlds performances ever. Maybe even ahead of JJ's World Championship in 2004. Wiggins is averaging 1021 golf as compared to JJ's 992. I know the courses are different but he is beating down the field and has 13 stroke lead over 2nd and 19 stroke lead over 3rd with round 6, semis, and finals left. Impressive! How old is he?
AO

Postby cgkdisc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Wiggins is 15. He has the best score of the tournament on every course he's played but one - Delaware. He will be playing that one at 3pm Eastern today. Grayson dewey shot a 50 today at delaware in the Uder 16 pool for the tournament best score there. Wiggins shot 56 first round so he'll need to improve by 6 or 7 to claim the title I'm not sure even Kenny has pulled off - having the tournament best score on all courses played at Worlds. We'd have to check the record books for that one.

Watch Wiggins in live scoring starting in a half hour or so. Delaware runs late so it might be a little longer wait.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/live.php ... 50&Div=MA1
cgkdisc

Postby AO » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:48 am

and now has a 22 stroke lead and averaging 1023....DOMINATION! JJ played well but this is dumb.
AO

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments