Kan-U-Wyco - Sunday March 14

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:43 am

I heard all the negatives about Wyco prior to playing it at Worlds last year and was very skeptical about playing it. The negative comments aren't off base, they just come from people that played the course while it was set up in a retarded layout. The course plays pretty darn fun if they mix the pins up so it's not like playing a mini Blue Valley where every hole is 375+. If you tip that course out, it's just a boring, shit layout. I think that they're starting to figure that out down there. The layout for the Worlds left me wishing we got to play it more than once. It's a beautiful park too and the course is spread out nicely.
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:22 am

Here is the Worlds Layout, the 2nd round of last years tournament is almost the same layout.

At the spring tournament they move most of the pins between rounds - Map with all the pin positions

Last year - Round 1
#1 - A
#2 - A
#3 - A
#4 - A
#5 - A
#6 - B
#7 - B
#8 - A
#9 - B
#10 - B
#11 - A
#12 - A
#13 - A (with rope)
#14 - A
#15 - A
#16 - B
#17 - C
#18 - A

Last year - Round 2
#1 - C
#2 - C
#3 - B
#4 - A
#5 - A
#6 - B
#7 - A
#8 - A
#9 - A
#10 - B
#11 - B (not on map, on the other side of the trees, near #6 tee)
#12 - B
#13 - A (with rope)
#14 - D (not on map, on the right/east bank of the pond, same as worlds)
#15 - A
#16 - A
#17 - B
#18 - A

I've also heard that there is going to be more rope and more OB for this event than at worlds and the previous spring events.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Single L » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:49 pm

A cool thing to do is to Use Bing Maps to tour the course. On Bing you can choose both Standard Ortho's and Oblique imagery. The oblique’s give you a good look and feel of the course. The obliques are called Birds Eye on Bing.

You can do this for any course that has had aerials flow by Pictometry, the company who produces the Bird's Eye view. Most major metropolitan areas have been flown by them; even a few rural areas are included.

Here's the link to Wyandotte Disc Golf Course, the tee for Hole 1 is located next to the tennis Courts. You can zoom in and rotate your view in all 4 cardinal directions to get multiple looks at one location.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:30 am

How'd you guys do down there?
SARG27044

Postby SpikeHyzer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:39 am

I missed cash in pro by like 6 spots. Corey missed cash in Adv by one spot. Not sure on the other IA's that went down.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby chainsmoker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:15 pm

shane wrote:long and boring :wink:
cold and soggy :(
chainsmoker

Postby Furthur » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:36 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:I missed cash in pro by like 6 spots.

Joe, what did you think of WyCo?
Furthur

Postby SpikeHyzer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:51 pm

I liked the layout we played for the most part.

A few things I would have changed:
Hole 1: I would have left it in the short for both rounds
Hole 2: The pin position for the first round should be the permanent placement. Also, would have liked to have seen OB put in place for the left side tree line. So you have to play it between the left side tree's and the driveway.
Hole 7: I think the pin should have been about 40 feet shorter. It was too much of a tweener hole.
Hole 8: Needed some sort of fake ob. Maybe a hay bale circle like 13.
Hole 14: Would have used the long pin both rounds.
Hole 17: The middle pin position makes for a great par 4...but wasn't used.

I really liked the painted OB, even though it cost me quite a few strokes the second round. It reminded me quite a bit of Graceland. It really is about maintaining and not going for it there.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Furthur » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:18 am

One thing about the middle position on #17...it's gone. Someone stole it when they stole the pin off #17, so we need to replace it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a permanent pin for #2 up there.

Dick said he's going to add a pin for that temp basket on #14.

#7 has a sweet pin that's about 100' shorter to the right in the woods, but it's being left alone to regrow some of the dead ground cover.

The only problems with hay bales on #8 is that we had women in the field that probably couldn't reach them from the tee (150' max distance).

I agree with what you said about maintaining on that course. Of course, shooting a 52 like Jerm and Tank shot means you do have to go for it, but for the rest of us, playing consistent golf and letting other people slip up is the way to go at that course.
Furthur

Postby Furthur » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:20 am

Oh, and a little preview of what possibly may happen next year:

2 day B-tier, with Saturday at WyCo and Rosedale. Sunday on tee times at WyCo with a tipped out, super OB lined course. It would make a good event if Dick decides to run it again.
Furthur

Postby Single L » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Furthur wrote:Oh, and a little preview of what possibly may happen next year:

2 day B-tier, with Saturday at WyCo and Rosedale. Sunday on tee times at WyCo with a tipped out, super OB lined course. It would make a good event if Dick decides to run it again.

Talked to Rick after the event ...... He mentioned something of the same sorts ...... 2 day B-Tier ..... the K7 Classic or something ...... One Round at Olathe, one at Shawnee Mission, and 2 at Wyco.

I think you could do really cool USDGC style tournament at Wyco ..... Rope on every hole limit it to Pro and Advanced ...... that would be the shit. If Wyco was in my backyard I would head that up in a heartbeat.
Single L

Postby Like_Water » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:55 pm

porkchop wrote:
Furthur wrote:Oh, and a little preview of what possibly may happen next year:

Talked to Rick after the event ...... He mentioned something of the same sorts ...... 2 day B-Tier ..... the K7 Classic or something ...... One Round at Olathe, one at Shawnee Mission, and 2 at Wyco.

I think you could do really cool USDGC style tournament at Wyco ..... Rope on every hole limit it to Pro and Advanced ...... that would be the shit. If Wyco was in my backyard I would head that up in a heartbeat.

Sounds like a great idea! Somebody do it!
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Previous

Return to National Tournaments