Greater Peoria Open, June 19-20- A-Tier

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby davidmac » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:45 pm

robizm wrote:With such a long post and so many grammatical errors.....I stopped reading

Sorry for such a long post, there was a lot to say.

btw,
I edited it a bit, but I'm sure it probably still needs some more work.
David McCormack
PDGA # 2873
www.gdstour.com
davidmac

Postby Chase20460 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:25 pm

I think this kid could benefit from your experiance. As a sponsor, I feel its your job to do that. If he doesnt listen, at least you tried.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby jlowekc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Not one person can destroy a sponsor. See Brad Hammock....

One person can destroy many people's fun for a weekend of Golf....

See countless disc golfers, probably myself included...

Keep on keeping on David....
--
===o {>[]----

Jack Lowe
http://www.KCFDC.org
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"
jlowekc

Postby Dana » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Prepare to laugh:

Harmless 10 ft. tap in for par.
Wait for it...
Wait for it....
BAM! Kick in the nuts from the leaning basket thats older than me.
Dana

Postby lennythrowsdiscraft » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:29 pm

ha thats funny
lennythrowsdiscraft

Postby GaW27166 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:58 pm

LMAO that is some funny shit.
GaW27166

Postby Clue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:47 pm

davidmac wrote:blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I had this same conversation with Dave Dunipace years ago, and he summed it up concisely when he said that he's going to sponsor the top players pretty much no matter what. Nikko has definitely grown up and he was a little more of a unique situation as he's family, and I would never expect Dave to stop supporting him.

I don't feel real strongly about this particular situation because I wasn't there and I haven't thrown any Gateway plastic in years, but I've had a small pit in my stomach about Innova since Dunipace said what he said. There may be some bad guys association with Discraft, but I can't think of any off the top of my head (at least since Ron Ron retired), and it's started to affect what I like to throw.

The bottom line is that the only voice we have is in our back pocket. If you feel strongly enough about the situation then don't support their sponsors. There are plenty of good discs out there that nobody has to be married to any one brand. It's kind of like BP. 3 times this weekend I was at a corner that had a BP or another brand and I went the other way every time.
Clue

Postby shane » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 pm

That shit has me rolling. My wife even wanted to see it again. In his defense the basket is crooked and what a mach 1. Madrid has better baskets.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby The Donator » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 am

Lol Dana, your face in the third picture is priceless
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby chappyfade » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 am

shane wrote:That shit has me rolling. My wife even wanted to see it again. In his defense the basket is crooked and what a mach 1. Madrid has better baskets.

Actually, that's an old school Mach II basket, before they made the baskets deeper. I know those....we had them on the front course in Columbia. Actually, Columbia's are Mach I's converted to Mach II.

The Mach I only has one set of chains....it doesn't have the inner set. And for what it's worth, I've had that happen on Mach III's, multiple times.
chappyfade

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:33 am

they were also converted Mach I's Chappy---with loose trays that catapult your disc out when it hits the high side. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby shane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:58 am

so there chappy! 8)
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby chappyfade » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:02 am

GDL5000 wrote:they were also converted Mach I's Chappy---with loose trays that catapult your disc out when it hits the high side. :lol:

Sorry, hard to tell that from Dana's picture. It looks like a Mach II portable. I don't see any bolts on the top chain assembly that would have clued me in to it being a Mach I converted to Mach II. Perhaps other baskets were that way, and this one wasn't, or my age is showing and I just can't see it. :)
chappyfade

Postby Sprague » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:34 am

GDL5000 wrote:David, for the record, I understand what you're saying and agree with your ideas regarding fines instead of losing the tournament over the actions.

Also, I'll never stop putting with the best putters on the market because your name is on a guy going through a growth spurt.

I like Aviars too Jay!
Dave,

It would appear that Peoria did have a positive affect on Bradley, as he appeared to be more humble and easy to be around in Minnesota - I think disc golfers are generally rooting for each other, and if he learns from this experience we'll all be better for it. I actually saw Geoff and Brad on the same card laughing together, so I believe there is hope for every player to mature and grow with our sport.

Sincerely,

Chris

Sprague

Postby Sprague » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:11 am

Dana wrote:Prepare to laugh:

Harmless 10 ft. tap in for par.

Wait for it....

Dana,

I should probably pull this off to another thread, but it's here - so let me give my personal experience as it parallels this putt.

**I have had a history of putting nose down, mostly in my pre-2003 days. The nose angle of your tap-in caused this knife through - I believe.
This putt started low and you pitched it slightly upward w/ nose down, this will cause it to stall just out of your hand and knife down with gravitational energy giving it additional speed. Unfortunately, when the disc encounters the chains it gets deflected sideways without dissipating much of the discs energy - it rolls along vertical through the chain rings and jumps off the chains themselves (which are angled on this basket like a ramp). Most times this putt will spank down (bottom will drop) but it has to go back to flat first which can recoil out by catching air under the disc (vs slightly nose up where the bottom is below flat to begin with and when recoiled shows lots more surface area to the air causing to sink into the basket)

To adjust I would recommend experimenting with a 'baby' nose up / 'baby' hyzer angle at impact. Notice how your hand angle matches the disc angle in the 1st picture - on the MSDGC 2006 video, my hand was finishing palm up and fingering slightly up and they were hitting on this angle.

Just some thoughts...my 20ft and in left handed putt has been my solution to this problem - it spanks down with clean low speed energy vs my right hand pitch that hits the chains like a bowling ball hitting the pocket - too hard from close range.

Also, wanted to thank everyone involved with the Peoria Open - it's always a treat to play there!
Sprague

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments