USDGC 2009

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Cydisc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Image

:lol:

Is that Hammock sitting in front of Yeti? He looks bite-sized.
Cydisc

Postby shane » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:02 pm

Cydisc wrote:

Is that Hammock sitting in front of Yeti? He looks bite-sized.

http://www.messinwithsasquatch.com/
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Furthur » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:48 am

AO wrote:
The Donator wrote:

What am i missing here...

Yeti being large and sitting behind an angry old troll sitting in a childs chair.

Yeti even has a stool with longer legs. I couldn't imagine him sitting in a normal one...
Furthur

Postby Clue » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:55 pm

AO wrote:I want to say thanks to the Iowa crew. I had a blast at the lake house and hopefully we can stay there again. I don't know if anyone posted but we stayed in a 5 bedroom 4 bathroom lake house. Lot's of space with plenty of room to relax.

While I was extremely disappointed with my play down there, I had a really good time as well. I felt very proud to be part of the Iowa crew. I hope we have the chance to do it again, however I fear that the stars were aligned with the abundance of local qualifiers and the TD exemption that we may not have again in the near future. It's going to be harder and harder to qualify in the coming years. The talent down there was surreal. I've never seen anything like it. Guys with MDR's talent and distance are a dime a dozen now. It's going to take commitment and discipline to even make a dent on the national tour. Just playing a lot isn't near enough.
Clue

Postby grodney » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:01 pm

Okay, Harold's reasoning on the 1.5m putt (or whatever) is really lame. The disc isn't propelled on a drop in. Really? That's what it's about? Really? Wow.

On the other hand, he (and 99% of others) are so misguided on this "no fairway runup" thing. He gives 3 reasons against, all lame:
1. People might get hurt, because they can't pivot properly.
Answer: Seriously, I can't imagine that no run-up is any more dangerous than a runup. This is a null argument. There is no way to prove either, or even make a reasoned guess.
2. The runup is an essential part of the disc throw.
Answer: Sure, on the tee, that's fine. It's a tee area, with no defined mark. Runup all good. But in the fairway, you have a defined mark. Wouldn't it be cool to have a different class of throw that you must be good at to be successfull? I'm not one for lame analogies, but sort-of like teeing off a tee vs hitting off the fairway?
3. We don't want to limit distance, because chicks dig the long ball.
Answer: That's what drives are for.

If you really step back and take an outsider's view, isn't it a little strange that disc golf evolved ALLOWING a fairway runup? Wouldn't it make more sense, logically, if it weren't allowed after the tee area?

I'm pretty sure we've been over this before. 50 times.

Oh well, hopefully the rumor will survive the long winter and there will be murmurs and pantie-bunching next year.
grodney

Postby Like_Water » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:41 pm

No fairway run-up is dumb. :lol:

In fact I would say a huge part of the challenge of Winthrop is finding yourself on some kind of slope that you have to throw from. Identifying this and knowing your tendencies on various slope angles is an additional skill one must know. Not being able to run up would eliminate a lot of the nuances of the fairways.

I'm pretty sure you started this rumor Rodney.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Jeez whats next, using a superclass disc on the 888 hole?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby irban » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:39 pm

grodney wrote:If you really step back and take an outsider's view, isn't it a little strange that disc golf evolved ALLOWING a fairway runup? Wouldn't it make more sense, logically, if it weren't allowed after the tee area?

Correlating to ball golf, it might seem to make sense to eliminate the fairway runup, if you were really trying to produce a different kind of shot. Of course you could say that the difference is already there in the disc selection, driver to fairway driver to approach disc to putter. I mean, there isn't a runup on the tee shot in ball golf either.

There is precedent for running and releasing within a boundary or limit in most other sports. Bowling, cricket, baseball etc; a lot of circumstances in sport have a point of release limitation, coming off of movement, requiring specialized technique. To me the choice of rules and standards depends on which sport most closely equates to disc throwing. The point has been made before, that the similarities between disc and ball golf break down at some point. Really the physics and elements are dramatically different.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Discwrangler wrote:No fairway run-up is dumb. :lol:

In fact I would say a huge part of the challenge of Winthrop is finding yourself on some kind of slope that you have to throw from. Identifying this and knowing your tendencies on various slope angles is an additional skill one must know. Not being able to run up would eliminate a lot of the nuances of the fairways.

I'm pretty sure you started this rumor Rodney.

That's a good point about the slopes and the footing. But I'd still trade it for the different throwing skillset. Of course I started it.
grodney

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:21 am

Clue wrote:While I was extremely disappointed with my play down there, I had a really good time as well. I felt very proud to be part of the Iowa crew. I hope we have the chance to do it again, however I fear that the stars were aligned with the abundance of local qualifiers and the TD exemption that we may not have again in the near future. It's going to be harder and harder to qualify in the coming years. The talent down there was surreal. I've never seen anything like it. Guys with MDR's talent and distance are a dime a dozen now. It's going to take commitment and discipline to even make a dent on the national tour. Just playing a lot isn't near enough.

You played in this?
discgolfduval

Postby shane » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:49 am

discgolfduval wrote:
Clue wrote:While I was extremely disappointed with my play down there, I had a really good time as well. I felt very proud to be part of the Iowa crew. I hope we have the chance to do it again, however I fear that the stars were aligned with the abundance of local qualifiers and the TD exemption that we may not have again in the near future. It's going to be harder and harder to qualify in the coming years. The talent down there was surreal. I've never seen anything like it. Guys with MDR's talent and distance are a dime a dozen now. It's going to take commitment and discipline to even make a dent on the national tour. Just playing a lot isn't near enough.

You played in this?

I'm just happy he forgot his gear at home. :wink:
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby grodney » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:09 am

grodney wrote:I caddied for Clue for 13.5 holes.

Hole 1 - Skips VERY early, glides down, hits the pole.
Hole 3 - Second birdie.
Hole 6 - Almost skips in the basket, skips in the water, circle 3.
Hole 9 - First bogie
Hole 10 - Second bogie
Hole 12 - Third bogie
Hole 13 - 10. Card went 7,7,9,10. Wow.

I forgot:
On hole 7, about 30-40 10-12 year olds had been brought out from some local school. Clue tees off first, and as soon as he releases, the kids start screaming "GET IN THE HOLE!!!!". It was hilarious. Clue's semi-big hyzer line had a chance, but ended up a little long. Gave them a thrill though. They did it for all 4 guys in the group, and all 4 provided a legit shot at hitting it. Great fun. (Obligatory old-school: This hole might be the 2nd most exciting hole in disc golf -- behind only 13 short at Grandview (does it even exist any more?).)

Clue actually ended up OB but made the putt for circle-3.
grodney

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:19 am

discgolfduval wrote:

You played in this?
:lol: he stayed up late last night thinkin of that one
SARG27044

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:53 am

If 13 short is the most exciting hole in disc golf, that says a lot to me about your opinions there Rodney. You need to get out more. And yes, it still exists. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:19 am

GDL5000 wrote:If 13 short is the most exciting hole in disc golf, that says a lot to me about your opinions there Rodney. You need to get out more. And yes, it still exists. :lol:

Sure you're not going to find it on the cover of Disc Golf World, but I've unloaded my bag on that hole more than any other. And you're always bound to run in to some one else doing the same when you're out there.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments