USDGC Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Cydisc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:45 am

z-man wrote:Was talking to Steve Rico last night...he said without the rope the course is an easy 14 or 15 under round...Once you add the rope you add that nervous factor to each shot as well...May be gimmicky but it does what it's supposed to do...make you think about each and every shot...

Good luck to all Iowans and Illinoisans next week!!

It would be nice to have some bulldozers at our disposal to make some water hazards, but, unfortunately, we don't have those resources yet. For now, we're stuck with the rope.
Cydisc

Postby grodney » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:19 am

Yeah, it really is so gimmicky now, it's sort of sad. But it actually takes it more back to the frisbee golf roots of playing around buildings and everything else, trying to hit light posts or trash cans.

#18 is a fabulous hole without any rope. That is, for all of us rated under about 1010. But to be able to separate the 1040s from the 1020s, they have made that fairway stupidly tight and the green stupidly treacherous. It's essentially the same principle all over the course.

As you know, they leave the baskets up year-round, so I can play it whenever I want -- without the rope. As a 900-950 level player, I can tell you it is plenty fun and challenging. Years ago, I did some rough calculations that showed it played about a 68 SSA with rope, and a 63 without.

Anyway, yeah, it's just the state of the game and the positioning of this tournaments. If you want to separate the best of the best from the rest, without any wooded holes, you're going to need gimmicks.
grodney

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:26 am

grodney wrote:Anyway, yeah, it's just the state of the game and the positioning of this tournaments. If you want to separate the best of the best from the rest, without any wooded holes, you're going to need gimmicks.

Or choose a better course...let the debate begin...
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Cydisc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am

SpikeHyzer wrote:
grodney wrote:Anyway, yeah, it's just the state of the game and the positioning of this tournaments. If you want to separate the best of the best from the rest, without any wooded holes, you're going to need gimmicks.

Or choose a better course...let the debate begin...

It's gotta be close to where Innova is. Plus, it would have to contain the extra facilities that Winthrop provides, including the big lecture hall for the players meeting, the huge clubhouse, the driving/practice range, spectator facilities, parking, etc...

Rodney can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any other courses in the area that would fit that bill.
Cydisc

Postby Captain » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am

SpikeHyzer wrote:Or choose a better course...let the debate begin...

Renny Gold and The Web at Hornet's Nest are just up the road. j/s

debate continue...........
Captain

Postby grodney » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Yeah, but that's why I said "without wooded holes". Renny Gold and The Web obviously have wooded holes, and Renny Gold still relies on rope in at least a couple places.

Both of those venues can provide some of the other amenities that K mentioned, but not to the same level.

To separate the best of the best players, you need an SSA very close to (or above) the true par. That is extremely difficult to achieve without lots of woods or gimmicks (and the resulting stupidity that either can bring if not done well). Throw in the items K mentions, and there's little chance for an ideal solution.
grodney

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:46 pm

So let's see...this course tests

Everyshot you have (and ones you're scared to throw)
Your mental strength
Shot selection (many different options on each shot)
Physical Stamina (it's a long day)
Putting (the most important thing)

Winthrop Gold is a very very good disc golf course. It has everything. I'll be carrying somewhere between 18-20 discs, with 4-6 backups. I'll throw probably every disc in the bag, hopefully not including the backups.

If you play disc golf in Iowa, you have seen enough golf to be able to navigate this course. Don't be skeeerd.

Oh, and it's really the only tournament I think about all year. They are doing something right
8)
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Captain » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Let's look at the obvious facts:

1. Innova's plant is in Rock Hill
2. Winthrop if very gallery friendly

Renny or Hornet's would be a gallery nightmare. Also,I don't think the true test of a golfer how many good kicks they can get off the trees or how well they throw overhand?
Captain

Postby Sprague » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:48 pm

Dana wrote:
I had this conversation with Harold a couple of years ago. We've used a number of methods to choose the State Rep, including everything from figuring out who can go and wants to go, to using a tournament to pick the player, to this year using the 8 best rated rounds in Missouri events to pick the state rep.

If Illinois chooses the GPO as their qualifier for their state rep (and this year, apparently they did), then the best finisher in that qualifer that has not already qualified gets the state rep spot. That was Sprague. Illinois does not get to wait and see if Sprague qualifies in another event. I had this conversation with Harold 2 years ago when Justin Bunnell won the Missouri state rep spot, but would have qualified at the Vibram Open/Marshall Street DGC two weeks later. I tried to get our next best finisher our state rep spot, and Harold said no, that we had already picked our guy.

Moral of the story is, once you pick your state rep, that's who gets the spot, and he is considered to have qualified at that time, even if he would have qualified at a later date. That's why Sprague didn't qualify at Worlds...he had already been granted the Illinois state rep spot. Right or wrong, that's the way Harold wants it.

Chap

Chap- You are wrong. IL never declared Sprague as our state rep. Sprague, not Brett, went ahead and told Innova/USDGC that he had the state rep spot.

Dana your are wrong as well - I did not tell Innova anything. When I called about registering - they had me listed as the IL rep (I was upset for Ben thinking that Brett had signed me up - Harold must have done the math, making the decision for us) I figured I didn't play well enough to qualify at Worlds (I didn't deny the qualifier).

Brett said I would get my entry paid, I told him that Innova covers my entry as part of my Team Champion sponsorship. He said I would get the money towards my lodging instead. I have not received that money...

Now moving on, I had a wonderful time at the USDGC (other than being homesick within days). The volunteers, staff, and players were awesome! I especially enjoyed spending time with all the Iowa guys at the Lake House!

Thanks for a most memorable USDGC!

Getting text messages about my putts on 17 and 18 minutes after they happened was amazing in and of itself...thanks to everyone who supported our efforts while we were there (it's a heart pounding experience and it's comforting to know we've got great friends back home rooting us on!)

Congrats to Captain and MDR for their first USDGC experience, I was very proud of MDR especially considering he was playing advanced just last year
:wink: you should be proud as well Mike (great shooting!)

oh and Chappy, I'm sure your Iphone w/ GPS would have knocked 15 minutes off your drive home that night :lol:
Sprague

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:27 am

Getting text messages about my putts on 17 and 18 minutes after they happened was amazing in and of itself...thanks to everyone who supported our efforts while we were there (it's a heart pounding experience and it's comforting to know we've got great friends back home rooting us on!)

now that's instant reward, man!!!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby chappyfade » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:30 am

Sprague wrote:
oh and Chappy, I'm sure your Iphone w/ GPS would have knocked 15 minutes off your drive home that night :lol:

Yeah, that's what we get for letting Beckett drive, and for me leaving my GPS at the lake house. Somehow we made it back to the interstate....about 10 miles south of Rock Hill.
chappyfade

Postby Clue » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:35 am

chappyfade wrote:
Sprague wrote:

Yeah, that's what we get for letting Beckett drive, and for me leaving my GPS at the lake house. Somehow we made it back to the interstate....about 10 miles south of Rock Hill.

Wow! I'd love to have the map of where you guys went that night. There's only 2 ways that could happen. You guys crossed over 77 without seeing it (not totally improbable as it's not well marked), or you crossed over the lake and went around the west edge of Rock Hill. This actually seems fairly likely as I got lost a couple times and ended up on 49(?) which crosses the lake going west. I'm glad I live far enough west where there are actually grids.
Clue

Postby grodney » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:52 am

Wow. WOW.

Miles SOUTH of Rock Hill? From the lake house?

If they made 160 across 77 without seeing 77, there's still almost no way across the river without hitting Rock Hill.

MAYBE they went 160 all the way through Ft Mill over to 521, south to Lancaster, then back west to 77. But it's implausible that they missed 77 and went through the heart of Ft Mill.

Wow.
grodney

Postby Clue » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:31 pm

They had to have gone west. There are 3 chances to make a wrong turn that get you there. I could totally see them going north first then turning around and getting across the lake. Not sure what west of the lake down to Rock Hill looks like, but it seems plausible.
Clue

Postby grodney » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:02 am

WOW again -- USDGC going bi! (At least it's not bye.)

(Do we need a 2010 USDGC thread?? I vote yes, but I thought it would be less efficient to just post this, and see if somebody else starts one.)
grodney

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments