USDGC Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby Pittman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Captain wrote:
Pittman wrote:We throw identical lines at about the same height. Both hit the ground within the same foot... For some reason mine doesn't skip and yours does. You end up OB with almost the exact shot I threw.

That's called golf.

It's a game of inches.

No... If it was golf, one disc would be 5 feet farther away.

It's USDGC that makes one shot 2 strokes worse.
Pittman

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:08 pm

It's kind of like if we throw the same shot down through a row of trees, my shot is 6 inches to the right of your shot but I hit a tree and kick into the shit. Almost the same shot, but not quite.

learn to land the disc flat and you'll be alright.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby claya » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Discwrangler wrote:WE are thinking about doing a $20 buy in side bet thing....

Here are a few we will do...

# most birdies
# most bogies
# most ob's
# fewest ob's
# lowest single rd score
# lowest total 5
# lowest total 13
# lowest total 17

Any other suggestions?

Maybe earliest and latest 4th round tee times?
claya

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Biggest change in score in consecutive rnds positive + negative
most yellow bands hit
most Shiners consumed.. wait, wrong trip
most shots used during a rnd (ie backhand, forehand, thumber etc etc)
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby Captain » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:11 pm

rightcunnin wrote:Biggest change in score in consecutive rnds positive + negative

I like this. How about biggest margin from best to worst round. Wait, MDR will win that one.

rightcunnin wrote:most shots used during a rnd (ie backhand, forehand, thumber etc etc)

MDR wins again.

Maybe we should have a longest drive competition?? Oh no, MDR wins yet another time.

I don't like where this is going.
Captain

Postby Captain » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Discwrangler wrote:WE are thinking about doing a $20 buy in side bet thing....

Here are a few we will do...

# most birdies
# most bogies
# most ob's
# fewest ob's
# lowest single rd score
# lowest total 5
# lowest total 13
# lowest total 17

Any other suggestions?

Maybe some daily winners? Best round. Most birdies. Most bogies.
Captain

Postby Pittman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:56 am

MDR_3000 wrote:It's kind of like if we throw the same shot down through a row of trees, my shot is 6 inches to the right of your shot but I hit a tree and kick into the shit. Almost the same shot, but not quite.

learn to land the disc flat and you'll be alright.

Difference being is that your shot is penalized by the actual course and not some fictional line.

But my main argument is that you still have a chance to pull off a great recovery shot to make up for that bad shot. If you go "OB" you lose that chance. Which is the main reason I hate all the OB ropes and what not. Golf should be about trying to recover from bad shots with a great shot. Not who has the most shots over the fictional line. This is the one spot where ball golf will always always have more respect and admiration then disc golf IMO.

Some of the greatest shots you see televised for ball golf are the amazing recovery shots out of some incredibly bad position. You don't see too many shots from a drop zone :(
Pittman

Postby Like_Water » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:04 am

Pittman wrote:
Difference being is that your shot is penalized by the actual course and not some fictional line.

I can assure you, the line is very real. The great thing about this course is, if you go ob, your great recovery shot can lead to a par. 8)
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Pittman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:26 am

Discwrangler wrote:
Pittman wrote:

I can assure you, the line is very real. The great thing about this course is, if you go ob, your great recovery shot can lead to a par. 8)

I wouldn't call it a recovery shot if you are not playing from where your disc landed and because you had to take a penalty stroke. Yes the Rope is real, but it's a fictional line. There is not a 1000 foot drop off :)
Pittman

Postby grodney » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:33 am

I know I'm a cranky back-water pump weasel, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this live webcast isn't going to work worth a crap.
grodney

Postby Cydisc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:45 am

grodney wrote:I know I'm a cranky back-water pump weasel, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this live webcast isn't going to work worth a crap.

I'm going back to rsd.
Cydisc

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:01 am

grodney wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this live webcast isn't going to work worth a crap.

x2 ^^^^

Good luck to all of you that are going.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby irban » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:07 am

Haven't ever played rounds with rope, but my take on it is rope helps to make up for the fact that disc golf courses aren't created from the ground up like ball golf courses. There is never any money to shape fairways, and add bunkers and water etc. Seems to me like a judicious use of OB, artificial or not, can make a course way more interesting. You can't be stupid about it, but what's the difference between an OB rope running down the side of a fairway, and a park fenceline?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:10 am

irban wrote:Haven't ever played rounds with rope, but my take on it is rope helps to make up for the fact that disc golf courses aren't created from the ground up like ball golf courses. There is never any money to shape fairways, and add bunkers and water etc. Seems to me like a judicious use of OB, artificial or not, can make a course way more interesting. You can't be stupid about it, but what's the difference between an OB rope running down the side of a fairway, and a park fenceline?
Go visit Blue Ribbon Pines up in Minn. They have so much ob that was not natural. But it does take a lot of cash. ( guy has marble and granite around tee pads and greens. And they dug out water hazards) Its just sick, but it wouldnt be practical for a non pay to play course
SARG27044

Postby z-man » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:21 am

Was talking to Steve Rico last night...he said without the rope the course is an easy 14 or 15 under round...Once you add the rope you add that nervous factor to each shot as well...May be gimmicky but it does what it's supposed to do...make you think about each and every shot...

Good luck to all Iowans and Illinoisans next week!!
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

PreviousNext

Return to National Tournaments