USDGC Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

USDGC Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Like_Water » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:26 am

I'm pumped. Tank just called on his way to Raleigh, I could have talked all day about this tournament. Regardless of the clown like antics of some, this is still the premier event. I'm feeling well prepared, even if my lefty and sidearm shots aren't where I wish they were.

McCabe is saying the course will be 4 shots tougher due to the ropes being pulled in.

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby grodney » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:41 am

Tanner (and anybody else), what is your plan of attack on hole #4?

The 2nd shot is becoming nearly impossible for me, but maybe you better players have some shots that make it easier.

That hole, more than any other out there, creates doubt in my mind about what to do.

I can feel confident in my plan on nearly every other hole, but #4 feels closer to a crapshoot.
grodney

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm

didn't you guys talk about hole 4 last year? They putting rope by the basket again?
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm

How is #4 different than in 2002?
Cydisc

Postby irban » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Open try out this year Rodney?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby grodney » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:25 pm

- Probably.
- I don't know what you mean.
- The circle pines are taller, and the other trees bushier.
- No. It's on Monday. I'm passing on that and just playing on spectator day (the day after the tourney).
grodney

Postby Like_Water » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:17 pm

Hole 4

I took a 9 in 2006 :evil:

Last year, played it even par.

TL/Leopard up the gut-->Spike Hyzer

If my first shot isn't good enough, or in a decent spot for the spike I either 1)throw to the drop zone and play the spike
2)sidearm to the high left side of the green (backdoor)

I see alot of people shooting for the tiny little low straight gap through the trees, which prompted Harold to plant a tree there...but that didn't stop people last year. I always bounced off the pines backwards into ob.

The spike over the top is a pretty easy shot for me...it's only 170 feet away, maybe 60 feet high?
Like_Water

Postby Clue » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Invert!!!
Clue

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Wow man, good luck!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby grodney » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:28 pm

I wonder what's the square footage of the landing area to be in position for the spike hyzer. I can throw a spike hyzer, but I'm not so good at getting to the right spot to throw it.

The real discipline comes in not going for too much if your first shot isn't in a pretty good spot. It's SOOOOO easy to get greedy. Actually, it's not so much greed, it's just not playing totally safe.
grodney

Postby Like_Water » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:31 pm

grodney wrote:I wonder what's the square footage of the landing area to be in position for the spike hyzer. I can throw a spike hyzer, but I'm not so good at getting to the right spot to throw it. .

There's like 2 or 3, 10-15 sq ft sections that you can do it from.

grodney wrote:The real discipline comes in not going for too much if your first shot isn't in a pretty good spot. It's SOOOOO easy to get greedy. Actually, it's not so much greed, it's just not playing totally safe.

Take a 9 just once is this tournament, and you'll do anything you can to never feel that pain again.
Like_Water

Postby Like_Water » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:31 am

Played my first round yesterday...at some point they have to stop taking the ropes in. It's just getting stupid now.

Hole 4's trees are getting tall. Same with the low ceiling on 2. Hole 18 is kinda dumb now. It's going to play tough, but with the supid BunCR rule, some holes will score better.
Like_Water

Postby grodney » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:55 am

Did you mention 888 and the change to BunCR there, or did I read that on pdga.com?

It used to be that if you threw long (on your drive for instance), and went OB, as long as you crossed IB at some point you still got to keep the distance. Not anymore. That's a fairly significant change there.

#18 is a great hole for guys of my ability (even without the rope), but to make it difficult enough for 1000ish people, they just have to trick it up too much. It was actually way better before they trimmed the low canopy from the first big tree just off the tee. Before the trim, if you went under you couldn't get anywhere, so you had to go around and over the water if you want to get any distance. Way better.
grodney

Postby eddiemac » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Upon further review...I don't have any qualms other than making ALL of 888 BunCR. IMO the landing area is a little thin to insist on a retee.

Hole 4, it make sense to put the rope inside the trees. Now if you're in the trees, you're ob. It should speed up play, and make it less attractive to just punch it in through the little cheater window.

Hole 18 is fine too. It's just a way different hole then in past years. Throwing a leopard second shot from farther away is almost easier than touching a roc up to the basket.

Hole 8 is really about the same for me too, except one of the tough early trees is gone, actually making the tee shot easier. The downed tree prevents rollers, which I always thought was a great option for a second shot. Meh.

Hole 17 is still very tight. I thought they'd loosen it up a little, but it's the same. My new found sidearm is ready to go on this bad boy.

Hole 11 is slighty easier too off the tee. The ob is tougher to reach, and I'll be using a driver off the tee for the first time. It's still the second toughest hole out there.
"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded."
eddiemac

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:15 pm

Eddie sounds READY! Go get em!
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Next

Return to National Tournaments