Channahon Tournament

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Channahon Tournament

Postby peyton » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:20 pm

Has anyone played this course and is it worth a 4 hour early morning drive? I can only play Sunday's right now and this is the closest thing I can see. Is the course long, short, wooded or open? Thanks
peyton

Postby Like_Water » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:41 pm

I played 4 or 5 years ago. From what I remember, I liked it. I remember it being not long, with some tight lines. Not just open crusher holes. However, Im sure the tour buddies would have a better review. Mike, Chad?
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby jack » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:45 pm

Are you kidding me? Any tournament run by Gary Lewis is worth a 4-hour drive! That being said, I won't be able to play because I'm going to run a race on Sunday morning.

The course itself is set in a nice natural area (basically a reclaimed prarie), with enough trees to define a fairway. The main hazards are tall grass and, in some places, thick shule. Frank Grimes has done a great job getting concrete tees installed and landscaping some of the holes. It used to be my favorite course when I lived in Joliet, and I'd say it's still one of the better courses in Illinois. Overall, the course isn't too challenging from the short tees (think -10 for a good score), but it can play tough from the long tees. All bets are off on Sunday though, since the forecast is calling for a replay of the weather we had at the Iowa Team Tournament.

Doug, get in touch with me if you need any more info.
jack

Postby peyton » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks guys, I saw the weather outlook, I hate more driving to and from than actually playing in it.
peyton

Return to National Tournaments