US Women's Championship in the QC-------2009

Tournaments in the rest of the non Iowa world

Postby KePP » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:55 am

Sniper26 wrote:Has Bruce Brakel always been a downer? If you can answer yes please visit the PDGA forum under the Disc Golf For Women thread and let him know about your feeling of discontent with his bashing of USWDGC from the comfort of his own home.

Bruce Brakel is a bitch
KePP

Postby KePP » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:04 am

RedBird88 wrote:Here are some pictures from the first two day of the USWDGC as well as the clinic Des, Val and Liz hosted earlier in the week:

USWDGC Pictures

Joe, you've got some sick pictures in there. Especially the Middle Park ones. Nice gallery system.
KePP

Postby Chase20460 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:45 pm

Agreed!
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Sniper26 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Can someone get these pics to the PDGA? Great pics Joe. I want to post about the tournament, but need to spend some time with the family.

Thanks to everyone and congrats to the winners.

Extra special congratulations to our very own national champion Carrie Ricketts in the rec divisions, and intermediate runner up Kari Nydle.
Sniper26

THANK YOU QC TEAM!!

Postby BeckyZ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Super Great Job John R. and the Quad Cities Crew!!! There were so many amenities and fun times that it is hard to list them all!

- The courses were clean, fun and challenging. As an amateur, I really appreciated playing Camden 1 and the shorter tees at Westlake and playing only 18 holes there! The spotters and scorekeepers all were handsome, charming and so very helpful!

- The players pack with the event Huk-Lab collared shirt, organic Iowa Soap and Bug Spray, lots of Luna Bars, hair ties, and way ubercool Keen Socks and Keen chap stick and Disc-Diva button and discount coupons and other items was greatly appreciated.

- The course maps were clear and uniform, the Players Guide included directions so we didn’t get lost in the QC! The players parties were fun and Saturday night the super funk band playing outside in front of RIBCO (Rock Island Brewery)! Carl Denson’s Tiny Universe and opening band Uniphonics from Iowa City got the groove on!

- There were apples, bananas, coffee, breakfast bars Luna Bars, waters , pop, Snapple products all over the courses and lunches provided each day. There was even a special delicious USWDGC cake provided by Hy-Vee Food Stores for after the awards ceremony.

We are very lucky here in the Midwest – IA, IL, MO, KS, NE, WI, OH, and MN. Over the years we have had so many gentleman disc golfers who have shown huge support for us ladies. And you all in the Quad Cities have continued the tradition and demonstrated that support again by running a hugely successful event!

Shouts out to the QC Gals too and all your efforts- Tracey Lopez, Kathy Betcher-Sprague, and Carrie Ricketts! THANKS TEAM QC for the wonderful way fun four days, renewing old friendships and making new friends, fond memories, and all your hard work leading up to the event and during the event!!! Great Job QC!!!!!
BeckyZ

Postby flyinplastic23 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:15 pm

thanks boys for all of your hard work. The courses looked great! I was really proud of all the work everyone put in to it. I think it went great and that everyone had an awesome time. I have heard nothing but great comments about the tourny. And Becky- I loved the players packs too... it was like christmas!
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I can’t begin to tell you how thrilled I am to have been a part of this spectacular (in my opinion, and hopefully others) event! There are two things, or phenomena, if you will that made this event both unique and exceptional for me.

First off, is the whole atmosphere surrounding this particular tournament that is completely different from any other tournament I’ve been involved with, and that was the attitude and behavior of the ladies in attendance. The best way to describe it is one of joy and elation. They all seemed truly delighted to be spending three days with each other playing disc golf, and just hanging out. I’ve never seen so many smiles on the faces of people who were competing against each other. All I can say is, if you’re a lady, and you missed this event, you really missed something special. I highly recommend you take the next opportunity that presents itself (South Carolina 2010, Texas Women’s Championship, La Vie en Rose, etc.) to attend a “ladies only” event. You will not regret it.

Secondly, the turnout by the volunteers from our club and surrounding clubs was just amazing. I just can’t say enough about the people who worked tirelessly to plan and coordinate leading up to the event, and to those that turned out on “game day” to help make this tournament a huge success.

It would be foolish for me to try to thank everyone involved, but I’m going to go out on a limb to try and hit some of the key people that stepped up to plan before the event, and to those that were there to help execute that plan.

Those who were instrumental in putting the plan together, were Brad Ellis, Tracey Lopez, and Kathy Betcher-Sprague. Helping Brad out with the website was Wes Keppy.

Course clean up and maintenance involved a lot of individuals, but the ones who were always there either alone or with groups include Chris Sprague (designer and builder of Camden II), Evan Qualls, Ron Rasmussen, Mike Friestad, Brad Ellis, Wes Keppy, Dustin Avery, Shawn Rodriquez, Paul and Bill Roesner, Mike Robinson, Chase Roberts, and countless others. I apologize in advance to those that deserved mentioning here.

And, to those who helped out when it was show time: Jeff Harper from Coralville, IA for manning the scoreboards (among other things), Paul Roesner (the man on the Rhyno), the Wallaces (Mom, Old Man, and Wilbur), Mike Robinson, Chase Roberts, Evan Qualls, and the innumerable people who showed up to keep score, spot, help set up, or just run errands. These things just don’t happen without the unselfish contribution of time and effort by a lot of dedicated people.

Also, a big thanks to club member and GM of the host hotel, The Americinn, Dave Arango, for giving 110% at his hotel to make the girls stay fun and comfortable. I know he gave out a couple of $100 + a night fireplace/hot tub suites for the $55 player rate. Plus BIG parties in the pool/hot tub area after hours (I would have posted all this up sooner, but I hurt my neck after doing a cannonball into the hot tub Sunday night in my underwear). Thanks, Dave.

Finally, and most importantly, I have to thank my wife, Toni, who put up with my constant absence and mood swings leading up to the event, and for being there with me throughout the entire weekend. She made a lot of runs for food, water, toilet paper, etc. without ever questioning or thinking twice about it. I am so fortunate and thankful to have her as my partner.

As I said at the first Player’s Meeting Thursday night, as a leader, I don’t have any effect if there are no people to lead. And as my favorite definition of a leader states: “A leader is someone who knows how to get people around him who are better than himself”.

Thank you all, players and volunteers, so much. This wouldn’t have happened without YOU!

John
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 pm

I just wanted to pass this along from our Advanced Masters champion:

Name: Marie Fry
Pdga number: 18020

I tried to post on the discussion board, but was not able to make that happen, so please feel free to copy this as you like.

I just want to again express my thanks to you and all of the many volunteers for the work that went into the USWDGC. I had a wonderful time - probably the most fun I've had so far. The courses were beautiful and challenging. I enjoyed meeting all of our scorekeepers and spotters. The host hotel was amazing. I have never seen a breakfast offered like that before. Dave needs some extra special thanks for being able to provide those accomodations. The "players party" Sunday night was great. Thanks to everyone for supplying the pizza, beverages and entertainment. I had a blast. Please congratulate everyone on a job well done. And to all the ladies who have not made it to this tournament yet - what are you waiting for?

Thank you.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Like_Water » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:13 am

It sounds like you guys did a fantastic job. Congratulations QC!

Bruce Brakel is a douche. :roll:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Orange Guy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:41 pm

I just sent a copy of the article from discgolfer to Annette Ernst, the Economic Development Director for Milan. I got this reply:

Thanks for the article! It's nice to see that all the hard work (on both ends) means something :)

I will make sure that the Mayor, Trustee's and Dave (including staff) get a copy of this.

You have made my day!
Orange Guy

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Nice work, Brad!

(Your avatar makes me thirsty)
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Orange Guy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 pm

It was totally your idea to send it, I just executed it.

Beer.
Orange Guy

Postby Sniper26 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:25 pm

The Sarah Stanhope artical on Joes site is very pro Camden as well.
Sniper26

Postby Orange Guy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Just got another email:

Thank you for the clippings from your disc golf magazine. That really makes us proud to see what you guys have done to the courses and brought it to national attention. All of us in the Village are proud of your hardwork. Hope to see you out there this year.

Jim Flannery
Village of Milan
Parks and Recreation

I told him I'd pass it along to the folks who really put in the hard work.
Orange Guy

Previous

Return to National Tournaments